Love to see Fighters included

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

antisocialmunky wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote:
Normandy wrote: And so our heroes began once again in search of the legendary phpBBtec temples.

Wha?
Quick! Over there! A small ruin that may lead us to the tower of Babel!
All I was saying was that finding nearest neighbor is not a fun thing. That is of course your mapping system is set up well to handle it.

Also, I wonder how big this quote pyramid will get before it breaks? Shall we find out?
Expand the pyramid!!!!
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

derekiv wrote:
antisocialmunky wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote: Quick! Over there! A small ruin that may lead us to the tower of Babel!
All I was saying was that finding nearest neighbor is not a fun thing. That is of course your mapping system is set up well to handle it.

Also, I wonder how big this quote pyramid will get before it breaks? Shall we find out?
Expand the pyramid!!!!
The natives are restless . . . . >_>
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Pyramid stops here or I lock the topic.
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

TormakSaber wrote:Pyramid stops here or I lock the topic.
Can we start a new one?

No, I'm just kidding. Don't start another one.

Wouldn't manned fighters need to return to the mothership?
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

ChaosTheory wrote:Fighter (and even simple squadron) AI is actually fairly simple. For my Algorithm testing, I used this system:

blah blah blah
Ouch ouch ouch. To run that for every fighter object? Ouch.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

You obviously don't know much about game programming.
Vrmithrax
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vrmithrax »

I guess I mis-named my topic... Sure, fighters would be tiny, but I'm thinking like heavy bombers or fighters - relatively big units that are more than just a little gnat-sized flying gun. The kind of heavier units you would send in to soften up a massive battleship or base, with high speed strafing or bombing runs.

I've been messing around with this for a while now. With all of the scaling options, I've got a bunch of little fighter style units that I've built (averaging about 1/5 or less the size of my standard ships), and that negative AI distance trick makes them do some interesting stuff, for sure. Just be nice to see an actual AI selection for it, where the AI distance is the standoff distance that the unit would retreat to after each run.

A guy can dream, can't he?
Sig? I don't need no stinking sig...
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Kaelis wrote:You obviously don't know much about game programming.
I know plenty. What I don't know, however, is -modern- game programming, where it's acceptable to throw in threads willynilly.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Müg wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote:Fighter (and even simple squadron) AI is actually fairly simple. For my Algorithm testing, I used this system:

blah blah blah
Ouch ouch ouch. To run that for every fighter object? Ouch.
Do you know how may fighters there were? 20 max. Generally 5-10. Not exactly on a massive scale. And the game ran a consistant 45 FPS with particle effects, grav fields, and spacetime fabric. How many demeters are you supposed to generally have going at once with fleet of Arcases? Between 10-20. Show some forethought before being critical of people's ideas.
I know plenty. What I don't know, however, is -modern- game programming, where it's acceptable to throw in threads willynilly.
What? Game Maker is in no way, shape, or form "modern" game programming.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

ChaosTheory wrote:What? Game Maker is in no way, shape, or form "modern" game programming.
Lol, yeah.
Don’t worry it has airbags.