game's not starting?!

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ValesTii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

game's not starting?!

Post by ValesTii »

well, a friend of mine wanted to play BSF.
So he downloaded it, installed the whole thingy, tried to start it aaaand...:
nothing!
I mean.. the starting picture (the small BSF Pic) appears but thats pretty much it. Cause after that simply nothing happens anymore. He waited about 5mins but it didn't start.

Any suggestions? Solutions?
And yes, his system is better than the requirements ;)
[i] "Harken the angel summons. No mercy for the damned. No escape from the catastrophe.
The true path shall guide you to find peace in annihilation"[/i]
[size=75][u] Lezard Valeth [/u][/size]
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Hint: Run the shipmaker and after that, try again. Worked for me!
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

1. Does your friend hibernate his computer? The game doesn't play well after hibernation, so if this is the case, restart the computer and try again.

2. Uninstall and then reinstall the game. Make sure to correctly extract the zip or use the installer.

3. How old is the computer? What version of DirectX? Try reinstalling DirectX?
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

Possible causes of the problem:

1. Computer does not meet system requirements. - Only one solution to this that I know of: Get a better computer.

2. DirectDraw failure. - Try updating or reinstalling DirectX. If that doesn't work than upgrade your video card. (You should also download the most recent drivers for your video card.)

3. Direct Sound failure. - I don't think BF should be affected by this, but if this is the cause you will have to reinstall DirectX and/or update your sound drivers.

4. Other programs using up processing capabilities. - Open up Task Manager using Alt-Ctrl-Delete, and check for other games or programs that are running. Use End Task to close these other programs, just make sure that you don't accidentally close down one of the system programs.

5. Virus. - Some bad viruses can prevent programs from running. Use a quality virus scanner to check your computer for viruses, if any are found, use an anti-virus to remove them. If your anti-virus cannot clean or delete the virus, you may have to resort to performing a system restore.

6. Vista UAC. - Disable the Vista User Account Control, as this can also prevent certain programs from running, especially ones downloaded from the internet, eg. Battleships Forever.

7. Different OS - If your computer is not running Windows XP or Vista, you will most likely have trouble running the game. (Note: I'm not sure whether or not BF supports Mac or Linux.)
Eagle of Fire
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eagle of Fire »

I have the same problem. None of what been said on this thread apply to me and it simply doesn't work. No error message, the game just hang and I have to stop it in the task manager while it is listed as "not responding".

I tryied rebooting, I tryied uninstalling and reinstalling, I tryied starting the editor first (which work fine), it still doesn't work. I also uninstalled the last version I still had on my computer before installing .88, and when I noticed it didn't work I also tryied installing in a different folder to no avail.

I don't hibernate my computer and I have the option disabled. I even tryied disabling my firewall to see if it was the problem, it is not.

I played the last version before .88 fine without a problem whatsoever. I am well within the minimum requirements and I don't think I'd need to update my DX version again as I did it quite recently. I don't really understand why such a simple game as BF would require the very latest DX update anyways. DX7 usually is way faster and give better results, and BF is such a simple game it would really gain in using it instead...

I use WinXP SP1 with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 megs). AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (1.92 Ghz) with 512 megs of ram.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

If none of the troubleshooting in this thread has helped, you either have a rare problem, or a unique problem. Honestly, from the information you've provided, your best bet is simply to go back to using an older version of the game until a new version comes out. If previous versions work and the new one doesn't, it's likely something that has changed within the game, causing it to no longer be compatible with your system. Being that TH15 is the only one who knows everything that he changed in .88, he would be your best bet for a fix.
Eagle of Fire
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Eagle of Fire »

Thanks for trying to help me in any case.

All I could add more than what I already said is that my CPU usage jump to 100% until I kill BF with the task manager. There is obviously something wrong somewhere.

Edit: I have good news, I've found the "problem". It appears that .88 takes a little while longer to start then the last version I played I was refering to, which is .79. For the kicks I reinstalled .79 for I still had the install program on my HD and when I started it I noticed that it was taking a while to load and was showing the same "not responding" behavior for a small amount of time in the manager.

.88 is probably more CPU extensive and simply take a long while to "boot up". An amount of time big enough for me to go into the task manager and think the program has gone haywire. It works if I'm simply patient. :)

I'll play the game more extensively and see if everything works. :)