Aegis Isn't Truly Impenetrable!

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

VNilla
Commander
Commander

Aegis Isn't Truly Impenetrable!

Post by VNilla »

I was playing around in Sandbox and somehow worked up a situation where around 22 Beamers and Shock Beamers all targeted a single Aegised section. After around a second and a half, the section was blown to tiny bits :twisted: which exposed the core, which was then hit by about 22 Beamer and Shock Beamer lasers and was vaporized in less than a second and a half, but that's beside the point; Aegis is NOT impenetrable! I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that is was "a better, impenetrable version of the Deflector" or something like that. Can anyone confirm/deny this quote and maybe make it fully accurate?
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

Also, should this be a forum topic at all? Or is there some better way to make some sort of formal announcement to the BF Forum Community?
~~~~~
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Basically, an deflector and aegis regenerate the damage done to the targeted section. If you somehow manage to overload an aegis it will fail. Simple as that.

Also, welcome to BF! :)
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

ArcaneDude wrote:Also, welcome to BF! :)
You are, like, the fourth person to say that to me. Thank You! :D

It's so nice to know that the people here are so... friendly (in a social sense, not in a let's-see-how-badly-I-can-mutilate-this-guy's-ship-today sense)!
~~~~~
~~~~~
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Deflectors don't truly stop damage. Instead they work like hyperfast nanomatrices, healing damage generally far faster than anything can hurt it. For the standard canon ships, this means that Deflectors and Aegis are impenetrable. When you get into Snadbox and Custom ships however, it's easy enough to either amass enough firepower, or to create a custom weapon strong enough, to the point where you can deal more damage in a single frame than the game engine is capable of repairing. When you do that, the game can't keep up, and yes, the Aegis section gets destroyed.

It's also possible to destroy Aegis/normally deflected sections with a custom weapon that does more damage than the section has period. If a section has 10 HP, and is hit by a Blaster bolt for 17 damage, it will be destroyed even if it has a Deflector or Aegis on it. You can actually use this to your advantage. Since a beam does its damage by frame, a 5 HP section with Aegis will get blown up by any sort of standard munitions, but it will heal faster than a standard beam (1 or 2 damage) can hurt it. In this way, you make a shield that only stops lasers.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Guess people have already answered your question, so I feel that I'll just wrap up...

So long as the total amount of damage within a frame (1/30th of a second) does NOT exceed the amount of HP left within a shielded (normal Deflectors or Aegis Deflectors) section, the section will remain safe and thus will not be destroyed.

But if the weaponry DOES overpower the shield... :D
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Now ith that answered, is ther any specific way one could go about this? The Gat weapons seem to be a good choice. Problem is that you need a buttload of damage in a few miliseconds to do it.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

antisocialmunky wrote:Now ith that answered, is ther any specific way one could go about this? The Gat weapons seem to be a good choice. Problem is that you need a buttload of damage in a few miliseconds to do it.
There is, of course.

Modded weapons. :D Like that 99999999 damage Sunshine Laser I created for fun...
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

antisocialmunky wrote:Now ith that answered, is ther any specific way one could go about this? The Gat weapons seem to be a good choice. Problem is that you need a buttload of damage in a few miliseconds to do it.
Lots and LOTS of ships firing at one section. But I mean like an entire fleet or so, firing every available weapon, and even then, just maybe.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Stormcaller
Commander
Commander

Post by Stormcaller »

Or a handful of Goslings. I've watched five of the things work together to blow up aegis'd sections of alien dreadnoughts.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

VNilla wrote:
ArcaneDude wrote:Also, welcome to BF! :)
You are, like, the fourth person to say that to me. Thank You! :D

It's so nice to know that the people here are so... friendly (in a social sense, not in a let's-see-how-badly-I-can-mutilate-this-guy's-ship-today sense)!
Roflmao. You're about a month too late for that =P.

The Community has been noticeably friendlier and smoother since.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

We're not friendly to everyone...hint, Master Chief 2, hint hint. :lol:

But we have a good reason to not be friendly to him. For the most part, we're just happy to expand the community.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Quick way of dealing with an Aegised ship of X HP.

Beamer, modded to fire one frame at >X damage, reload times can be suitably long. It will reliably one-shot kill any Aegised section on ANY SHIP weaker than the weapon's DPF.

Another approach is multiple synchronized weapons in an array that put out >X DPF. This is usually how I kill Levis with my Superlaser Minotaur when I'm not sniping the gennies with my CIWS.

A third approach is a projectile weapon simply hacked to do >X dmg, but that runs an interception risk. A high-powered Sniper Beam, even if Rorschached to death, still runs a risk of hitting something or getting deflected into the ship responsible for the Rorschach! A bolt once intercepted is simply gone; fire another one.
Master Chief wrote:
There is, of course.

Modded weapons. :D Like that 99999999 damage Sunshine Laser I created for fun...
LOL, Lucky Nines. Incredibly crude and low-class, but effective.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Kinetic missile.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

There's also the Fucking Bees™ option as well. Demeters are awesome against aegis whores.