Bubble shields (looking for advice on 'em- anti beams?)

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

osilus wrote:To be invincible from beams? rapid fire rosarch?
Even then, it's unusable by AI.
Zancloufer
Commander
Commander

Post by Zancloufer »

AI uses the rosarch.
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

I had a unique idea of how to implement a bubble shield; using the round section, place one on top of the ship core and enlarge it until it covers the whole ship. Send it to the back of the layers, and color it black. Add a deflector, and then whenever this black circle gets hit, the shield will turn on and cover the whole ship... Might work, Need to test it, though, to see how the effect looks.

EDIT: Apparently, the game hates this idea and gives me an error whenever I try and load my ship. Arrrrr.
It's me. That guy.
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

When the deflector turns on, it'll project an image of a horribly stretched section over your ship. It'd work nicely if the deflector just highlighted the edges of the piece, but it'll look kinda silly the way they work now.
Tsakara
Captain
Captain

Post by Tsakara »

make the deflector black too? or a dark grey thats light enough to show up but dark enough to hide the ugly stretching.
Arona Daal
Commander
Commander

Post by Arona Daal »

You could forget the deflector and just give it more hp than usual.
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/Herumtreiber/Sprites/BeachwithTurtle.jpg[/img] by Me.
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

But then its not exactly a bubble shield now is it? You don't achieve the same effect.
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

Doesn't really matter what color it is, as it overlays the deflector effect over the piece, so you'll still see a very distorted piece regardless of what color or how transparent it looks.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

You're getting errors because the game engine is yelling at you for having a pure black section. Use 1,1,1.

Trust me, that doesn't work. Even if you turn gradients off, the section will still be colored this ugly brownish-green color. I've tried it before.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Gentlemen, please. As I said, I've started implementing the hidden section method into my ships. This works extremely well, since it appraoches an actual shield bubble to high detail.

And, IMO, the big stretched round thingy is just cheating. And ugly.

Quote:
Last thing I saw of was it being sliced in half, so it needs lots of improving.
lol this happened because of my papal fleet (am I right or did something else slice the angel in half for you?).

Proud, are we? PROUD?
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Arona Daal
Commander
Commander

Post by Arona Daal »

I sorta made a balanced bubble shield with a driver - 360 deviation, 300 range, 0.01 damage, 5000 clipsize, 60 reload, 50 bullet speed and 5 burst. I can't seem to upload it, I keep getting an error. The only problem I have with the shield is that whatever ship is using it needs to be within 300 range (any more range on the driver and it doesn't look much like a bubble shield).
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/Herumtreiber/Sprites/BeachwithTurtle.jpg[/img] by Me.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Don't you get a pulsating shield then?
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Arona Daal
Commander
Commander

Post by Arona Daal »

Yeah, but it's the closest I can get. What I like about it is that with enough firepower, you can dent the shield and even break through, if you concentrate all the missiles in the same area.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Quote:
Last thing I saw of was it being sliced in half, so it needs lots of improving.
lol this happened because of my papal fleet (am I right or did something else slice the angel in half for you?).

Proud, are we? PROUD?
Yes, I am proud, damn proud, and I'm also proud of the next set of pics I'm gonna be posting soon of it AND two hellish vultures being pwoned by my newest ship.

Anyways, for the driver shield, set the burst to 360 or 720 or 1080 or 1440, etc. until it crashes the game completely.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Why do you hate me? :cry: