Kinetic Bombs and Missiles.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anarki
BANNED

Kinetic Bombs and Missiles.

Post by Anarki »

Alright. What makes a good kinetic bomb?

It is massive custom HP on sections? Or lots of sections? Or a mixture of both?

Does size matter? Acceleration? Would a dieterling be better?

Just some questions which I hope others have opinions about.
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

A kinetic bomb? Please specify what it does, or if you are referring to kinetic weapons in general (which would imply missiles and sometimes mines).
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

-Massive Amounts of sections (in the 1000's range, tiny, preferably)
-Massive Amounts of HP per section (max, preferably)
-High speed and acceleration, but not too high as it might overshoot. Preferably no dieterling.
-Kamikaze AI with low AI range (but not 0)
Kazuael
Captain
Captain

Post by Kazuael »

If it's going too fast when it detonates, the shrapnel has a tendency to clip through the target's sections and do little to no actual damage, so you want to make sure you're going fast enough to not be intercepted but slow enough so that the shrapnel actually makes contact.
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Alright, but my aim is to create a bomb-like device, using a dieterling and kamikaze AI, which:

1. Uses a dieterling device to jump on top of an enemy, exploding immediately.
2. Preferably does not use obscene stats - stats closer to something like a tournament battleship. So 1000 sections is a no-no.

So what would be the most effective method?
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Then, I'd say around as many High-HP sections as possible, A dieterling, kamikaze AI and 0 AI range.
It'll jump on top and detonate, but it won't be as effective as a missile.
darkone8752
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by darkone8752 »

My experience is this-
High speed is for killing small fast ships with low hp- if its too fast like was said above the thing clips and doesn't do alot of damage per piece. This however producing interesting if random effects- sometimes the shrapnel pierces through ignoring the first layer of the ship, and damages random innards (if detonated prematurely).

Hp determines the penetration of rounds. they take damage as they pass through dealing damage to the target obviously. You can probably make a bomb that ignores most sections by setting alot of low hp parts.

Ammount- Two things, determines the max damage the weapon can do, and the lag the weapon makes. My annihalator bomb drops my FPS to about 7-15, but blows straight through every ship[ its ever hit, and continues offscreen until several seconds later you hear massive bangs as the shrapnell finally kills itself. only like 150 HP per piece.

Heres a few KE weapons- http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... /KM//s.rar
Node missile- Sofftest of the modern KM's, deals quite a bit of damage and is rather fast.
Jackhammer- as the name implies, it can cut a hole through most ships, the bismarck of the arlonian(sp?don't have the name at hand) navy can take hits from it.
Annihalator- this ones fun, if a bit laggy- Upon detonating it sends a roaring ball of flame, death and hate in its former travling direction that tears through any ship i've thrown it against, and continues offscreen to make a big bang. if detonated at a stand still, makes an expanding ring of death that instagibs any thing it hits until the ring runs out of power.
Nuke!- built like an old KM, it is a 1 hp core with 2k hp clusters (6-8 in this one... forgot) bugs are it isnt set to kami AI, so you have to set it ingame or preferably do it manually... this is what i like to do for all my weapons. Not alot of damage, especially at top speed, but the tiny sections are basicly inviisible, making them nice scinimatic buckshot. Clips like mad at top speed, and can dodge anything short of a beam.
Micro KM- not mine, but someone elses thats very small, and looks quite nice. Easily shreds ships.
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

No. of HP:

how many sections will a single piece of debris hit before exploding, and how much damage overall it will deal

No. of sections:

how many sections will be hit by debris and the general AOE

Speed and accel:

decreases the likelihood of missing, in "RP" terms also dictates the survivability of missiles. Ideally, you will want high speed and high accel (which also decels the missile sooner and helps prevent overshooting). It also determines the speed of your debris, which determines the realism of the effect and also the damage the missile does.

AI range:

what distance your missile will keep from the enemy. Test it out a bit in sandbox and determine the ideal range based on speed/accel values and when your ship decides to detonate.

Position of core:

determines how far into an enemy ship your missile will penetrate before exploding (core explodes a certain distance from an enemy core when in kamikaze AI).
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

AllStarZ wrote:No. of HP:

how many sections will a single piece of debris hit before exploding, and how much damage overall it will deal
Higher is generally better, yes.
AllStarZ wrote:No. of sections:

how many sections will be hit by debris and the general AOE
Again, moar is bettar :D
AllStarZ wrote:Speed and accel:

decreases the likelihood of missing, in "RP" terms also dictates the survivability of missiles. Ideally, you will want high speed and high accel (which also decels the missile sooner and helps prevent overshooting). It also determines the speed of your debris, which determines the realism of the effect and also the damage the missile does.
Low or medium accel is better for higher damage, ironically. I believe damage formula should be E(energy available to do work, i.e. damage)=1/2m(HP) times v(velocity differential between KEW and target)SQUARED. This will not only mimic Real Life Physics, but also make small high-velocity missiles vastly more effective than large slow easily-intercepted ones.

AllStarZ wrote:AI range:

what distance your missile will keep from the enemy. Test it out a bit in sandbox and determine the ideal range based on speed/accel values and when your ship decides to detonate.
A standoff of about 10 to 50 produces a proximity-fuze effect, larger values making a wider spread.

AllStarZ wrote:Position of core:

determines how far into an enemy ship your missile will penetrate before exploding (core explodes a certain distance from an enemy core when in kamikaze AI).
I use a Core-Forward design for my newer missiles, guaranteeing more of the KEW shaft doing damage going into the ship instead of wastefully blowing out the rear of the detonation point along the velocity vector. This applies the maximum amount of work to the target possible.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

Med-High Speed, Low Acceleration, 976 tiny 900 health fragments the size of a pixel. :lol:
warhammer651
Commander
Commander
Location: i'll giv you a hint. it's somewhere in the vicinity of the third planet from the sun

Post by warhammer651 »

Many sections spread out over the frame with high hp

has to go fast too
if everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.......idiot.