Planned Encounter Maker Features

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

th15
Administrator

Planned Encounter Maker Features

Post by th15 »

Alright, the Encounter Maker will make it into the next version of BSF. So that we don't get an unrealistic expectations, I'll list out my planned features for the Encounter Maker:

Basic:
The baseline functionality for the Encounter Maker will allow you to import a bunch of custom ships and place them on the map. This will then be saved into a self-contained encounter file (which will have all of the .shp files required stuffed inside).

Planned Features (In descending order of precedence):
-Ship spawning timeline: Spawn ships after a fixed time limit. Allows you to create rudimentary scenarios
-Ship waves: Like grinder, this will have you defining a bunch of waves that will spawn in succession
-Terrain: Place terrain on the map
-Timed messages: Display messages after fixed period of time (goes along with the ship spawning timeline)
-Mission scripts: Include GML script into the mission so that you can completely customize the mission with GML. GML is Game Maker's built in scripting language so you'll be able to do anything I did with the missions (which are all scripted by hand).

That's it, I don't intend to make this a full fledged mission editor kinda thing, this is mainly a way to give your custom ships a context within which to exist. I can't promise that all the planned features will make it in, depends on how much time I get to spend on BSF over the next couple of weeks.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

By god, it has come.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Nice!!! Thanks man, appreciate all your hard work. The possibilites that will come about, with the planned features are great. Will also make running any kind of fleet action easier, tourney or otherwise. By simply allowing you to spawn all the ships on one side, then spawning all the ships on the otherside in two easy steps. What a time saver, that alone makes me happy. Include the rest of whats planned, and I am indeed excited.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Re: Planned Encounter Maker Features

Post by Sponge »

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to try this out. A couple quick questions:
th15 wrote: -Mission scripts: Include GML script into the mission so that you can completely customize the mission with GML. GML is Game Maker's built in scripting language so you'll be able to do anything I did with the missions
Do you plan to include a sample mission or two? I'm not too familiar with GML, but I bet I'd be able to pick it up pretty quick with a couple completed missions to look at.
th15 wrote: The baseline functionality for the Encounter Maker will allow you to import a bunch of custom ships and place them on the map. This will then be saved into a self-contained encounter file (which will have all of the .shp files required stuffed inside).
So, will loading one of these wipe anything already on the map (read: is it an entire saved map?), or will it just lay whatever's in the file on top of the existing map? Basically, could I use this to spawn formations of ships similar to the spawn formation feature in the sandbox?
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

It's a doi question, but I've got to ask : will you update the ship database to hold the new file type ?

(and can there be a vote on the name :D)

Edit: So what you're saying is that we'll need to find alternate hosting sites for the encounter files, which are basicaly archives of scripts and SHP files ?
Last edited by Raithah on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The preferred outcome of war, is peace. Ironic; huh ? -[citation needed]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

No, loading an encounter is like loading a mission, it's completely self-contained.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

I say it should be a ".bfe", ".ben", or ".enc" file, for "Battleships Forever Encounter", and ".em#" for the builder file. Then you cna start another sub-forum for Custom Missions!
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Thats more than enough functions/features.

This is a pleasent surprise.
Sran
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Sran »

Sweet!
You are a beast of programming.
Shadow Hydra
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Shadow Hydra »

10 epic wins for the god among men! :lol:

We can finally get a sensible Cold War!
Kalanosis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kalanosis »

You, sir, are made of 95% Awesome, 5% win and 10% unknown Win/Awesome element.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

YES.

THE ARALONIAN-COERCIAN WAR CAN COME TO FRUITION

Now I just need to finish the Coercian side. ||orz
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
DarkenShroud
Commodore
Commodore

Post by DarkenShroud »

Then you can start another sub-forum for Custom Missions!
Yeah that would be sweet, to be able to download and upload custom missions made by the players. If some are good enough, maybe they could even make it into the game, or BSF 2. So many possibilites it rattles the mind, this by far will expand the game to new and almost endless limits.
If it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it

A renegade is only what he makes of himself - Magius to Huma

You have only yourself to blame for failure
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

I have only one thing to say:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee...!
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

*flails happily and then resolves to learn GML*