Planned Encounter Maker Features

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

Artman40 wrote:So the following situation is possible:

?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah...Nagaya's gonna Buuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrn! :twisted:
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

th15 wrote:Anyways, the encounters already work, it's just that I'm having trouble with the file system. The plan is to stuff the encounter data and .shp files into a compressed archive but currently the archived files are broken. I wanted to do this so that you could retrieve the individual .shp files from an encounter just like opening a .zip file if you wanted to. I'm still trying to get it to work, but if it doesn't then I'll just have to merge everything into one file myself.
Well, does it really need to be a single archive? can't you just load the encounter file and then look for relevant .shp files in the same directory?

Your approach also introduces redundancy, since for each encounter using a certain ship that ships blueprint needs to be included in an archive.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Artman40 wrote:So the following situation is possible:

?
Lol...OWNAGE, NAGAYA! TIME TO GO TO HAPPY-HAPPY LAND!
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Kaelis wrote:
th15 wrote:Anyways, the encounters already work, it's just that I'm having trouble with the file system. The plan is to stuff the encounter data and .shp files into a compressed archive but currently the archived files are broken. I wanted to do this so that you could retrieve the individual .shp files from an encounter just like opening a .zip file if you wanted to. I'm still trying to get it to work, but if it doesn't then I'll just have to merge everything into one file myself.
Well, does it really need to be a single archive? can't you just load the encounter file and then look for relevant .shp files in the same directory?

Your approach also introduces redundancy, since for each encounter using a certain ship that ships blueprint needs to be included in an archive.
To be honest, it'd be a pain in the ass to make sure I have the ships in the right folders (I tend to organize), and that I'd have to download ships to run an encounter. I don't even know what you mean by the second part.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Müg wrote:To be honest, it'd be a pain in the ass to make sure I have the ships in the right folders (I tend to organize), and that I'd have to download ships to run an encounter. I don't even know what you mean by the second part.
I am assuming that encounter makers would include ships theyve used anyway.

As for the second part - say you have encounter A and encounter B, and they use the same ship. Now if you use archives for encounters, both A and B need to include the same ship.

You know, scratch that. Now that i think about it, considering the size of .shp files and my previous assumption, that doesn't make sense :P
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Congrats for completing the first part. Now I'm able to create some primitive assault missions. Good luck for evolving it!

Wonder how these timed and waved things work. So at the end it's possible to do not only "kill all of them to spawn next wave" like in Graveyard mission, but also "destroy that/these ship(s)/station(s) to spawn more things?
pwhk
Commander
Commander

Post by pwhk »

You forgot an important thing: Winning/Losing Conditions!!!

According to the list, the first two and the forth should be easy to program for you, I think. For the third as you have done terrain in Sandbox it should not be difficult. So I expect to write GML!

And yes, remember to add some help for the maker! Maybe put it in F1 Help. I think you might add some GML help on IF/FOR/WHILE statements in the F1.

And, with these I can finally start creating my own scenarios!