Making the Official Ships (Update on Page 4)

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zancloufer
Commander
Commander

Making the Official Ships (Update on Page 4)

Post by Zancloufer »

CLick Me

Got the Patrol Boats, both Morias, and the Enyo done. Tell me whatcha think so far.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Isn't there already a file with the stocks ships in it?

Like Custom Ships >> Official Ships >> Full Loadout? :shock:
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Yes, but they're out of date, and (understandably) the creator isn't keen on updating them until he's sure their loadouts won't be changed in the enxt version tic. Recently, there's been a lot of changes to ships, like the Athena's Aegis nerf, and such.
Zancloufer
Commander
Commander

Post by Zancloufer »

Well, there has only been one change to them for the past few versions, except the Sinope. I figured there needed to be a more updated version of them.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Yep, Necropost, I know, but with the finalish version of SM3 out, and me procrastinating on my REAL ships, I've taken it upon myself to redo the official ships, both players and enemies, in SM3. The finished package will include full loadouts and empty hulls of the player ships (including "secret" ones, like the Charybdis, the small battlestation, Hong's ship, the Oenone Delta, and the Hestia Gamma), and full loadouts and empty hulls of the enemy ships (including the secret enemies, like Guardians, Beam Destroyers, Driver Destroyers, all 3 of Nagay's Flagships, and the Alien bomb Transport).

I'll attempt to add doodads, but no promises, I'm not all that good with them. Ships will be colored/doodaded as they are in the main game, with the exception of some plain single colored or no doodaded ships. I may spruce them up some. You can always change the .sm3 blueprints if you don't like my changes.

Now hopefully another big update doesn't render all this work obsolete. :lol:
Stryder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Stryder »

This is useful in so many ways. I've considered doing this, but have been concerned of immediate obsolesance.

If you post the ships in .shp and .SM3, others can assist in adding doodads, and making variants.

If you post individually at first, people can really examine each ship in detail, corrections/suggestions can be made, and then they can be gathered in the latest unofficial 'official' ship pack. Otherwise the pack could take a very long time to produce by yourself. Standard ships pack? Enemy ships pack? Auxillary and civillian ships pack? Other?

Great idea to start at this time.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

I'll post them individually, or at least, pictures. I've got the Cronus done, and I'm working on the Arcas now.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

TormakSaber wrote:I'll post them individually, or at least, pictures. I've got the Cronus done, and I'm working on the Arcas now.
Are you adding doodads to the ships to make them more . . . alive/realistic?

Oh, I also have a completed, doodad-ed Hestia lying around . . . aha.

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... Remake.zip
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

The ships that are already doodaded by default, I'm not adding doodads too. The ships that DON'T have doodads or alternate colors (where applicable, obviously the Zelus only having 2 sections, is fine being all color 1, but I feel some color could be added to say, the Cronus or the Enyo), I am adding doodads and alt colors to.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Should have the player ships done tomorrow, and I'll post that pack up for examination.

Mind that some of the doodads on the blueprints will look like they're misaligned, but I guarantee that they're properly aligned in game. I'm not sure why some doodads mess up like that. Maybe it's because I'm mirroring them. It mainly seems to affect the "line" doodads.

The ships are as close to the originals as I could make them. I admit to taking a bit of leniency, and nudging things a pixel or so here and there, but I felt it made it fit together better in the overall picture. Unless you've zoomed in a lot or are specifically comparing the two ships, I doubt you'll notice. Some of the doodads are off as well, it's hard to capture doodads in a screenshot.

Firing Arcs are sort of guesswork-y... and I have no idea how I'll do firing arcs for the enemy ships, since I can't spawn them as allies to see their firing arcs. Can you select an enemy and hit V to see their arcs too? Or just allies/yourself?

Specifically, I'll be looking for input on my doodad'ing and coloring of the ships that aren't spiffed up like that standard-ly.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Eh? What's the issue with the doodads?
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

When I mirror doodads, specifically the "pulseline" and "full line"... in the shipmaker, they appear to be about 2 pixels too far down (assuming the doodad was placed on top and the bottom is mirrored) in the Shipmaker. However, in game, they're mirrored correctly. It seems to be purely a shipmaker issue. If you move it in Shipmaker so they mtach up, then they're out of alignment in the game. The flashblinker and fadeblinker seem to be alright, but the Noise doodad seems to do it on occasion as well, but not all the time.

Note the slight misalignment between the top, handplaced doodads and the bottom, mirrored line doodads. It looks off in Shipmaker, but in game, both sets of doodads are placed as if they ere properly mirrored according to the top doodad.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

I've finished all the player ships, including the hidden ships and Hong's ship, and I'll upload the player pack when I'm finished fixing up Fleet HQ. Yes, I've included the 3 player battlestations as well, those being the small battlestation (unused outside Sandbox!), the "standard" battlestation, and Fleet HQ, seen only in Mission 8.

I've found no parenting errors so far, and everything is as accurately done as I can do it.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Awesome.
You going to do the menu ships? There's some pirate/nanz Hestia hybrids there :P
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

No, I'm not going to do the pirate Hestias, there's too many of them, and they're all simply different weapon set ups on the same ship. I've included the empty hulls for every ship, so it'll be easy for you to make your own variants.

And since I've just remembered the Flyer, the Hesperos, the Glorious Hood, and the Kaleun, it will take me just a bit longer. They're player ships, though not "canon", and they need to be translated into SM3 anyways.

I think the Hesperos and the Glorious Hood could do well in the actual game, too. Probably needs a bit of tweaking though.

EDIT: A look at the Flyer made me go ewwww. I've redone it entirely, and removed that ugly overstretched section. I think it looks *much* better.