Battleships Forever Info | 0.90d released 14 Apr

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I'm going to be doing some serious nit-picking here... After all, I want to give you every chance to win the competition...

Bugs and observations...

1:
Core of Tmolus is green when greyed out on ship select screen
This is incorrect. It is in fact the Peitho that does this. You can see her stats too...

2: The Enyo still displays the name 'Enyo' when greyed out instead of 'not avaliable' when you are in the ship selection screen for mission 3 The Zelus does this in mission 4 and the Tmolus does this in mission 6. Any ship that was avaliable in a previous mission but is greyed out in a subsequent mission will do this too. This also applies to greyed out ships that get their name displayed before they are avaliable in any of the missions (eg. the greyed out Tmolus is named in mission 7 as well).

3: The Zelus has the Hestia's description.

4: The Thetis' description mentions 'three demeter launchers' where there are in fact only two.

5: The Moira X's description has two spaces between 'the' and 'Moira'

5: Railguns still have no animation when they fire and the blue beam they now launch is off center. Said beam doesn't really look like a 'ferrous liquid' either...

6: All of the ships in the 'custom ships' folder expect the Sadasd have the 1.7 parenting glitch.

7: The small loading box you get just before BSF starts up still shows old versions of the Helios and Oenone...

8: The 'alien' Hestia variants still appear in the main screen battle (though this may not be a bug)

9: The sound effect for the weasel gun sounds like the inside of someone's stomach... it honestly makes be feel a little queasy listening to it...

10: I'm sorry to say this, but the Peitho really isn't a nice ship. It's looks really bad. The pirate battle barge got away with using space station sections, but they just don't work with the Peitho.

I have a few suggestions...

1: Perhaps shock beamers, when fired while discharged (up a certain percentage of full charge) could sound like regular beamers...

2: Perhaps the Athena should have a different weapon in place of the railguns that replaced the Hecate's beamers, or at least move said pair of railguns back so they don't overlap with the rear most broadside railguns... indeed, perhaps the broadside railguns should be moved back a bit as well becuase they seem to 'lut out' from the ship a bit too much at the moment...

3: The Enyo and Peitho could use more dodads. The Zelus could use some too as it doesn't have any right now...

4: The name 'Milk Run' for the three unavaliable missions should perhaps be replaced with 'Mission 8' 'Mission 9' and 'Mission 10' or something similar.

5: For the ship selection screen, perhaps greyed out ships should not have their deflectors and boosters active. Also, perhaps the ships should play their dodads (though I don't think greyed out ones should).

6: Also for the selection screen, I think perhaps you should make it so that when you mouse over a ship near the right edge fo the screen that its description doesn't get cut off...

7: One more thing for the ship selection screen, I think you should alter the descriptions of the Moira X and Athena. Right now their descriptions both have hangovers from older versions of the ships. Particularly the X, whose description only mentions the ship's tachyons cannons and not it's scatter beams. For that one I think you should instead have the last part of it's description read somethng like 'this varient of the Moira replaces its conventional loadout with experimental alien technology and also incorperates a grav beam for holding or moving large objects such as enemy ships.'

8: I think you should scrap or redesign the Peitho. It really isn't nice... I know, I know, fuctionality over asthetics, but the Peitho is honestly the ugliest ship in the game... I know I'm repeating myself here but I think this one needs specail attention...

I know, very nit-picky, but the little things do make a difference...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

1:
Core of Tmolus is green when greyed out on ship select screen
This is incorrect. It is in fact the Peitho that does this. You can see her stats too...

Fixed this, had some leftover code at the bottom of that ship

2: The Enyo still displays the name 'Enyo' when greyed out instead of 'not avaliable' when you are in the ship selection screen for mission 3 The Zelus does this in mission 4 and the Tmolus does this in mission 6. Any ship that was avaliable in a previous mission but is greyed out in a subsequent mission will do this too. This also applies to greyed out ships that get their name displayed before they are avaliable in any of the missions (eg. the greyed out Tmolus is named in mission 7 as well).

This is intentional, the ship names are revealed to you once you've been able to use them at least once

3: The Zelus has the Hestia's description.

Whoops! Fixed it.

4: The Thetis' description mentions 'three demeter launchers' where there are in fact only two.

Corrected

5: The Moira X's description has two spaces between 'the' and 'Moira'

I don't believe you noticed this, fixed it.

5: Railguns still have no animation when they fire and the blue beam they now launch is off center. Said beam doesn't really look like a 'ferrous liquid' either...

Who know's what high speed ferrofluid looks like (modern ferrofluid is mostly black) but you were right about the centering, I've fixed that and added a little animation to the turret

6: All of the ships in the 'custom ships' folder expect the Sadasd have the 1.7 parenting glitch.

Yea I know I screwed up with the shipmaker again.

7: The small loading box you get just before BSF starts up still shows old versions of the Helios and Oenone...

Honestly, the old Oenone looks better, the current design exists because of performance considerations (4 less sections = faster)

8: The 'alien' Hestia variants still appear in the main screen battle (though this may not be a bug)

Intentional

9: The sound effect for the weasel gun sounds like the inside of someone's stomach... it honestly makes be feel a little queasy listening to it...

It'll grow on you

10: I'm sorry to say this, but the Peitho really isn't a nice ship. It's looks really bad. The pirate battle barge got away with using space station sections, but they just don't work with the Peitho.

Well I redesigned it, but it still has the 4 bunker sections

I have a few suggestions...

1: Perhaps shock beamers, when fired while discharged (up a certain percentage of full charge) could sound like regular beamers...

Yeap, beams that at fired at 66% overcharge or more have a meatier sound

2: Perhaps the Athena should have a different weapon in place of the railguns that replaced the Hecate's beamers, or at least move said pair of railguns back so they don't overlap with the rear most broadside railguns... indeed, perhaps the broadside railguns should be moved back a bit as well becuase they seem to 'lut out' from the ship a bit too much at the moment...

It's minor, but i moved all the railguns on the Athena back, I moved the prow pulses to the section with the plasma too

3: The Enyo and Peitho could use more dodads. The Zelus could use some too as it doesn't have any right now...

The zelus doesn't have doodads for performance considerations, too many doodads has a huge effect on performance

4: The name 'Milk Run' for the three unavaliable missions should perhaps be replaced with 'Mission 8' 'Mission 9' and 'Mission 10' or something similar.

Done

5: For the ship selection screen, perhaps greyed out ships should not have their deflectors and boosters active. Also, perhaps the ships should play their dodads (though I don't think greyed out ones should).

Good idea, done.

6: Also for the selection screen, I think perhaps you should make it so that when you mouse over a ship near the right edge fo the screen that its description doesn't get cut off...

Ah, I missed this, fixed it now.

7: One more thing for the ship selection screen, I think you should alter the descriptions of the Moira X and Athena. Right now their descriptions both have hangovers from older versions of the ships. Particularly the X, whose description only mentions the ship's tachyons cannons and not it's scatter beams. For that one I think you should instead have the last part of it's description read somethng like 'this varient of the Moira replaces its conventional loadout with experimental alien technology and also incorperates a grav beam for holding or moving large objects such as enemy ships.'

The Athena description is fine, but I've changed the Moira X's one.

Game_boy: I'm unable to reproduce those errors in the career. Can you be more specific about when these errors occur? As for the levels unlocked bug, I've fixed it.

I appreciate the attention to detail guys.

I've put up a new version of the package, get it here:

http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... 9afull.zip
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

v69a:

Titan bug remains. Right from the start, rapidly press the Enter key to skip messages until an error appears.

It's four deflectors, not a "trio" in the Peitho's description

Ctrl+Right-click bug remains. Go to Grinder, select 7 Zelus and 1 Hecate, press Ctrl+A to select them all, and when first wave spawns Ctrl+Right-Click on the first enemy. Watch as Zeluses speed off.

NEW BUG: Go to Sandbox. Use Del to import enemy custom ship. Destroy it with Ctrl+MMB. Use Del to import the same ship. This error appears:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Press Event for <Delete> Key
for object ctr_Testroom:

In script importShip:
Error in code at line 79:
obj = instance_create(argument2,argument3,global.l_objects[ds_list_find_index(global.l_fnames,argument0+"enemy")])

at position 59: Unknown variable l_objects or array index out of bounds

And finally, can you make Grinder's second wave a bit easier? The six point masers protecting three Battle Barges is a bit much...
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Ah I see that bug, it happens when you skip too far ahead before the Cronus has warped in. It will be fixed.

Corrected the Pietho's description.

Oh, I get what you mean about the formations, I'll fix it.

Sandbox bug fixed, forgot to assign a variable.

Grinder wave 2 now has only 2 Gunships.
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

o man, looks as if I missed it. i get a 404 if I click the .69 link :(
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I found a version .68 nitpick. In the mission briefing for Titan, you spelled organization as 'organisation'.
pwhk
Commander
Commander

Post by pwhk »

Boba Fetuccini wrote:I found a version .68 nitpick. In the mission briefing for Titan, you spelled organization as 'organisation'.
not really, organization is the same as organisation.
pwhk
Commander
Commander

Post by pwhk »

1. In the Career mission selection screen, the words "Not Available" seems look larger than other words, and the "B" looks like a "E".

2. The description of Plasma charges is too long, causing some of the description off screen at the GUI.

3. Information missing in some of the weapons at the GUI. For example, accuracy of the Railgun

4. Game Info haven't been updated with the v0.69a update log

5. ICON OF GATLING BLASTER IS STILL WRONG!!!

6. When loading ships without boosters targeted, it will randomly select a section to target

7. Description of Lancet beam: firing it require 40% of energy, not 50%

8. Point Beam do not have a description
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

actually, they are not. look it up in websters. The Word spell checker finds it wrong, and the firefox.
pwhk
Commander
Commander

Post by pwhk »

It is because one is British English, and other is American English
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Some more observations...

1: The Peitho isn't nearly as ugly now. Nice work...

2: Disabled ships still auto-activate deflector devices when under fire. Is this meant to happen? I suppose this might be possible if it was a computer automatically activating the devices though...

Some more suggestions...

1: Maybe disabled ships shouldn't play their dodads...

2: I think maybe ctrl-ins 20 should give you something other than a Hestia...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Regarding Organization: Queen's English.

Fixed Railgun, Plasma and other turret descriptions.

Fixed disabled ships activating Deflectors

Fixed the booster targets.

New release to test:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... 9bfull.zip

Planning to submit the game tomorrow so please try your best to find any bugs! The career and skirmish modes especially need to run without a hitch.

I appreciate the effort you guys are putting into testing the game, wouldn't be able to do anything if not for your testing.
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

Clicking on the "Not Available" mission buttons causes errors
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

0.69b...

1: The plasma charge's description is still too long. It runs off the end of the screen...

2: A plasma charge from a Hecate knocked the last demeter launcher on the alien dreadnought it was facing down to 0 health. Funny thing is that the demeter launcher didn't die...

http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... atemd9.jpg
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New Version Release
Get it here: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/1425

This release is special. It's a full package distribution that includes the Ship Maker and background music, all in one zip. This release is mainly for entry into the Indie Games Showcase, so support BF by voting for it here. Only a couple of days of voting left, so hurry!

There are a LOT of fixes in this version, I spent a lot of time over the past few days polishing everything off just right. Raid mode now has it's own Online Highscore table, and it's gameplay has been changed to encourage the use of fast-moving raiding craft. The bug in the Titan mission was also fixed.

This combined release also means that ship maker works a little better when it comes to quicklaunching a custom ship into the Sandbox.

Well, what more can I say, the end is in sight people, BF will definitely be complete before the end of year.

Trek: The HP values are rounded off, it probably has 0.4 health or less.