Battleships Forever Info | 0.90d released 14 Apr

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Well, the thing is that if you make it bounce off the deflected sections of friendly ships, shouldn't that then bring the question of friendly fire into play?

As for it 'bouncing around forever and ever', maybe make it so it can travel for a certian number of pixels before discharing...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

The reason I made it bounce off friendly Deflected sections is that this way it allows you to setup killzones by flanking with Deflector ships on one side and your Lancets on another side. You would then fire your Lancets through the enemy ships once, have them bounce off your own Deflectors, and pass through them again!
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Still, if lancets can hit friendly ships, it makes one wonder about other weapons hitting friendly ships... :lol:

Seriously, you can't really have one wepon hit friendly ships some of the time and have all of the other weapons pass right though/over the top of them, now can you?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

It doesn't ever do any damage to friendly ships.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I know, I know, I was only teasing... :)
Major Diarrhia
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Major Diarrhia »

This has given me a good idea. Why not make it so the Lancet bounces off only friendly deflector sections and not enemy ones? It could be like weapons in Star Trek and how you need to know the weapon or shield frequency in order to have one pass through the other, in this case it would be to make it not pass through since the Lancet works the opposite of normal bolts.

Brilliance, stage two! If you go with the above, that means the normal weapons naturally bounce off deflectors. When a bolt, from a bolter or blaster, hits a deflector it should bounce off the way you have the Lancet bolt bounce off, but just bounce from enemies. That would be some crazy fun.:D

I think you can do this because you mentioned at the SpaceBattles forum making the Lancet bounce off only deflectors not on the firing ship.
[url=http://battleshipsforeverships.googlepages.com/]Battleships Forever Ships[/url]
[url=http://majordiarrhia.googlepages.com/]Sword of the Stars Mods[/url]
pwhk
Commander
Commander

Post by pwhk »

Major Diarrhia wrote:This has given me a good idea. Why not make it so the Lancet bounces off only friendly deflector sections and not enemy ones? It could be like weapons in Star Trek and how you need to know the weapon or shield frequency in order to have one pass through the other, in this case it would be to make it not pass through since the Lancet works the opposite of normal bolts.

Brilliance, stage two! If you go with the above, that means the normal weapons naturally bounce off deflectors. When a bolt, from a bolter or blaster, hits a deflector it should bounce off the way you have the Lancet bolt bounce off, but just bounce from enemies. That would be some crazy fun.:D

I think you can do this because you mentioned at the SpaceBattles forum making the Lancet bounce off only deflectors not on the firing ship.
Sorry, but I think it would cause a slowdown. Bouncing need a lot of calculation. Think: If a ship fire Gluon Bolter to the shield, under such calculation, how much slowdown it would be caused?
Major Diarrhia
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Major Diarrhia »

I don't know, each gluon bolt already has it's own vector and position. But rapidly guided weapons like the Gluon could just ignore a deflector bouncing effect since they would correct course anyway, so they should just explode as normal.
[url=http://battleshipsforeverships.googlepages.com/]Battleships Forever Ships[/url]
[url=http://majordiarrhia.googlepages.com/]Sword of the Stars Mods[/url]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Calculating accurate reflection angles does take a significant amount of processing (largely because it has to compile a pixel-accurate collision map) so it's not likely that I'll be able to accomplish that (previous versions had code that made bulelts explode precisely at the edge of anything it hit rather than a little bit in, and that slowed it down tremendously).

Gluon bolts are much simpler, they aren't actually guided, their course is pre-calculated at the point of launch so there's no processing once the bolt is actually fired.

However, that said, I wouldn't rule bouncing weapons out completely, it may make it in as some sort of special effect. Still plenty of missions to go (and I plan to have the last 4 missions be pretty spectacular)
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I plan to have the last 4 missions be pretty spectacular
We'll look foward to it :) .
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

Code: Select all

//arg0 must always be j
l_weapon[argument0].l_custom = 1
l_weapon[argument0].image_xscale = 1.25
l_weapon[argument0].image_yscale = 1.25
l_weapon[argument0].l_size *= 1.25
"Support". I assume that's just a physical declaration that custom weapons will eventually be added.

How's the mission editor/rm_EncounterMaker coming?

On the Hornet's Nest Launcher: It is extremely weak and looks bad compared to other modules' effects. I like the idea though.

And finally: do you plan to complete BF before the end of 2007?
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Yea, still need to make the modifications to the shipmaker for custom weapons.

Its pretty much impossible to get a shot through a good Hornet screen, but then again I was testing with 3 Arcas so I might have been overdoing it.

And yes, definitely. My term of service with the Navy ends in September so I'll have more time then.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Damnit! "Download latest here" still doesn't work! I can't download it from YoYo Games because my computer does this idiotic thing where it doesn't prompt me to choose a place, but instead automatically saves it into the temporary Internet files, which, if I can even find the zip foler amongst that quagmire, always corrupts it...

Please fix the first link! At least with that one I was able to use 'save target as' function from the right mouse menu. The download buttons on YoYo Games are coded in such a way that I can't do that...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Uhh, you can change that sort of thing in your preferences.

I'd host it myself but my bandwidth is maxed out for this month, wait one day.
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

Oh, that's what the hornets are for. I thought it was a weapon...
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]