Battleships Forever Info | 0.90d released 14 Apr

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

pwhk
Commander
Commander

Post by pwhk »

I want to remind you that the file size also haven't been updated in the first post.
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

He'd only have to change it back...
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Routine over here is killer, might be awhile before I get the next version out so here's a list of what I'm planning to do:

Add Teller Torpedo Launcher, this is a guided missile that fires a beam at the end of its path. The Enyo will be equipped with it

Some sort of warping device for the Oenone Delta that teleports it but randomly rotates the ship after the warp.

A stun weapon for the Tmolus. It will most likely disable Deflectors in its area of effect too.

A new railgun based patrol craft.

A few new alien weapons.

Add some combat scripting to Nagaya's second (alien hybrid) flagship.

Redesign some of the alien ships (the raider and frigate have already been given a once-over) so that they have more strongly distinguished strengths and weaknesses.

Rebalance the whole gauntlet. Currently only the first 5 waves were really thought out, the rest are just tacked on.

Do objective arrows for the HUD that points to important places in the Career (for example, a meteor storm will create a danger sign)

In the meantime, I've seriously improved the Ship Database uploading script so that it isn't so silly any more. This should make sharing your custom ships even easier!
ChickenSalad
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by ChickenSalad »

Very cool game, thanks a lot! :D
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I look foward to all the new feautres TH. Keep up the good work mate... :)
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

like the stuff for the next one!
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

In case anyone is wondering why 0.70 is taking so long, here's the changelog so far:
v0.70
-Fixed Hecate Pulse gun arcs
-Rewrote colour changing script so that colours update instantly and accurately in the Main Menu
-Fixed some missing colours for some ships
-Pulse reload rate is slightly faster
-Railgun range increased very slightly, damage halved but does 10x damage to turrets now, firing rate faster too
-Boosters no longer recharge other modules
-Added Teller Torpedo Launcher to Enyo, this fires a guided missile that fires a beam at the end of its path
-Tweaked Shockbeamer sprite
-Lowered Particle Gun Range
-Fixed a problem with the file handling system that caused trouble when you launched the game through shortcuts. Also stopped the game from creating ini and dat files all over the place
-Fixed a bug that could occur if you cloned a turret in Sandbox instead of a ship
-Turrets spawn facing the right way when you import ships in Sandbox
-Fixed ships spawning facing the wrong way in Sandbox. Now they will always spawn facing the closest enemy ship
-Fixed Demeters not firing in some circumstances
-Fixed Demeters not showing fire animation
-Removed some uneeded code for Demeter
-Fixed a bug that occured when save/loading game with a NanoMatrix in play
-Added a welcome message to the Sandbox
-Fine tuned the collision boxes for the turrets
-Spiffy new sounds for the Weasel
-Number of Battlecruisers in Grinder Wave 6 increased
-Grinder Wave 4 now attacks from two directions
-Tweaked Plasma Torp explosion radius so that start radius is larger and max radius is smaller
-Drifting sections and other obstructions made more deadly
-Alien bombardment ship section structure changed
-Deflected sections' hp values no longer flicker when hit
-Combined Pirate destroyer's pulses into a GatPulse
-Fixed a rare bug in Grinder
-Fixed some graphical glitches with the Lancet in surfaced and non-surfaced mode
-ShockBeamer charge aura made a little spiffier, Overcharge and Booster effects got the same treatment
-Pulse Guns now fire alternate barrels rather than both, this clears up the battlefield a fair bit and makes the Pulse projectile effect fit it's damage value more appropriately.
-The game now clears the object buffer when you leave the Sandbox mode. This has two effects: the game no longer hogs resources used only in Sandbox, and you can test a ship quicklaunch it into the game then modify it, then reload the modified ship by simply leaving sandbox and re-importing the ship. Previously you would have to restart the whole game to do this.
-Fixed Reinforce Powerup failing to trigger on contact with the core of ships making it impossible for ships with only a core remaining to be reinforced.
-Tweaked Tmolus description to reflect it's point defence capabilities.
-Debris bits now explode rather than just fading away
-Tweaked the particle settings for explosions so that they animate better and are more efficient
-Sidewinders made a whole lot less gimpy
-Fille associations now work, you can now load a ship into Sandbox immediately just by double clicking the file
-New Enyo design, the old one looked too much like the Moira
-Fixed a bug with section dispersion when ships are destroyed
-Added support for custom HP on sections
-Removed some sprite trails that were too subtle to be noticed
-Point Masers changed to Flakkers, these are now only effective against large masses of incoming projectiles as they explode into anti-projectile clouds
-Move to location is now drawn for selected ships
-Added Impeder module for enemies. Slows down incoming projectiles to make them harmless or easier to intercept
-Pulse Projectile speed reduced, range increased slightly
-Gravbeams now tries to push away enemy Demeter drones if within range. It takes two Gravbeams working in tandem to hold a Demeter in place and three to push them away. This ability drains energy though so you can turn it off by pressing the A key with the Gravbeam selected.
-Optimized Deflector drawing code some more
-Fixed a bug with the Pirate Interceptor ship
As you can see, there are a LOT of changes, and there's still lots more to come.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Cool, I can't wait to see all of the changes... :D

Anyway, I notice you haven't put in 'resdesigned the Hesita alpha' just yet...
Mechman
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechman »

Everything sounds great!
A few notes on some of them:
-Boosters no longer recharge other modules
This leaves a position open for another module, I think.
-Railgun range increased very slightly, damage halved but does 10x damage to turrets now, firing rate faster too
Does it have anti-subsystem AI?
-Gravbeams now tries to push away enemy Demeter drones if within range. It takes two Gravbeams working in tandem to hold a Demeter in place and three to push them away. This ability drains energy though so you can turn it off by pressing the A key with the Gravbeam selected.
It takes 2 gravbeams just to hold back a demeter, but only 1 to move an entire ship?
-Point Masers changed to Flakkers, these are now only effective against large masses of incoming projectiles as they explode into anti-projectile clouds
Good, but wouldn't "flak gun" sound better?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Battleships Forever v0.70 Released!
Get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php
(includes ShipMaker v1.9)

This is a major version change so expect changes-a-plenty. The changes featured in this version should really shake things up. Among them:

Point Masers now explode into a cloud of flak which destroys all nearby bullets. This makes Point Masers more effective against large torrents of enemy fire. Their effectiveness drops dramatically when flanked, however.

Enyo completely redesigned. It now features the shiny new Teller Torpedo launcher. The Teller Torpedo is a guided missile that follows a path that you define. At the end of this path, it opens up and fires a deadly beam!

New Point Maser effect and Teller Torpedoes in action

The game is now distributed as an installer. This allows the game to be setup properly to associate ship file types with the game. This means that you'll be able to double click on a ship blueprint and have it load directly into the game or ship maker! The installer is also compressed more so the file is actually smaller. You are strongly advised to download the game from the primary download link (yoyogames.com) as the installer provides better overall functionality for the game.

Hestia Alpha was completely redone. It now sports 4 Blasters supported by 2 Boosters and extra ablative plating on the nose.

Completely redid the Grinder waves. There's even a new alien ship specifically designed for the Grinder. Grinder now sports a total of 20 waves.

New Hestia Alpha and Alien Heavy Frigate

There's a bunch of new weapons such as the Tachyon Driver (a hybrid interceptor-offensive weapon), Impeder (defensive module that slows down incoming bullets) and tweaks to existing guns.

Alien ships with Impeders

On top of that, there's your usual box of bug fixes and glitch fixing to make the game better and better and better!

On that note though, be aware that every tenth version is a major version that revises a lot of code and includes a lot of untested code too. This means that it isn't as polished as a 0.#9 version will be. Over the course of the next version, the changes in this version will be fine tuned and adjusted for maximum gameplay experience.

Note to players with previous versions
If you want to retain your save data you should install the game to the same folder that Battleships Forever was in. Alternatively, you could install the game as per normal and copy over the bfconfig.ini and bfdat.sav files to the new folder.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Post by The Infamous RayCav »

Ok, one problem immediately:

Every time the Teller Torpedo fires, the game crashes!
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

Clarification: The Teller bug only happens in non-surfaced mode (I tested it in Sandbox).

Oh, and your screenshots in the post are pointing to incorrect/deleted files.
Last edited by Game_boy on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mjolnir »

It doesn't for me. How much have you optomised it, i swear ive got an extra 5 fps in this version. Also, the ship builder still doesn't have the new weapons and stuff. All it has is 1 extra section. Also, the Demeters don't work in the sandbox still.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Grinder's certainly more interesting now...

Anyway, it's nice to see that the ABS (alien bombardment ship) has been nerfed somewhat as I always considered it just ever so slightly too powerful... I like hoe it's pulsars stick out a little more now...

However, I think you also may have unintentionally nerfed the pirate destroyer. One gattling pulse gun doesn't really make up for three normal ones. Sure as a pirate ship it shouldn't be any match for the regular navy destroyers (the Hesita and such), but I think it should have more than just a gat pulse, two mining beams and a deflector...
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

The shipmaker can't find the folder where I installed it after the first usage. it now sens me to my application data folder to try finding it, even though its in program files.
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]