Battleships Forever Info | 0.90d released 14 Apr

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

Got this error wihle playing:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Destroy Event
for object Deflector:

Error in code at line 2:
c_target.l_deflected = -4

at position 2: Cannot assign to the variable

I chose IGNORE and the game continnued normally..Nothing critical apparently
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

New Features: Fantastic!

Bugs: ...see my post in the Bugs topic.

That beamer patrol craft is a little out of place - I don't know why...
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

th15 wrote:New Version Released!
The downside is that you can't load old blueprint (.sbl) files anymore (though you can still load old ships into the game itself)
:shock: :? :cry:

Great..now I'll have to re-do all the ships from scratch...jsut to change their weapon congif :evil:
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
Natch
Captain
Captain

Post by Natch »

TrashMan wrote:
th15 wrote:New Version Released!
The downside is that you can't load old blueprint (.sbl) files anymore (though you can still load old ships into the game itself)
:shock: :? :cry:

Great..now I'll have to re-do all the ships from scratch...jsut to change their weapon congif :evil:
Couldn't you upload them to the custom ships public gallery and re-download them?
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

...no... they'd still be files from an older version...
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

A few complaints about the new ship maker:

1. the blue outline makes it hard to line up with other sections.
2. holding the shift key makes any shift+____ action continue, which is a pain in the ass when you're used to holding down the shift while you resize an object, because then it shrinks to nothing in less than a second. I would liek to see this removed in future versions.
3. the menu is annoying when all you want to do is delete a section. I would suggest making the delete key a deleting shortcut.
4. When mirroring, objects attached to a section on the center line parent to the core. This makes it very hard to do stuff. Try making it so they mirror and parent to the same segment.
5. The dropdown menu on the description/name/speed changer thing is awful. Go back to the old one, it was much more usable.

Suggestions for the ship maker:
1. have the ability to target what something is parented to, sorta like the aegis deflector/booster targeting ability.
2. the ability to bring segments backwards and forwards, like in microsoft word (right click, order, bring to front etc).

Overall, your dropdowns are making it less and less intuitive. Its getting to be even worse than the SWGB map scripter *shudder*
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
Bluhman
Commander
Commander

Post by Bluhman »

The biggest problem is the continuation of an action after holding down shift. Because of this, it makes usage of the ship maker REALLY hard. I always end up throwing different parts of my ship all over the place because of the shift key. It's very annoying! The nudge action is meant for prescision, and because of the shift glitch, its providing anything but that!
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

TH15 when are you gonga make it so we can Spwan allied ships in the Sandbox mode? so we can set up epic battles and stuff?
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

Is this realese as buggy as the early 0.6 releases, do you guys think? The earliest I got was 0.62, which had game stopping bugs when Cherenkov's ship attacked and also if you left the main menu open for too long, so I'd have said no...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Game_boy: The Charybdis is like a little mobile space station. It's basically a gun platform. Just trying out the concept.

boba: I don't have a better solution for the outlines really, colouring the section doesn't work any more because then you can't see any colour changes you make, you'll get used to it.

I'll put in a short cut key for deleting sections. Actually I've been trying to implement short cuts for all of the menu options (so you can right click then press a key to select the option you want).

I changed the ship stats changer to show the current values in the menu itself.

I can't allow you to change the parents of sections that have already been placed because it would horribly mess up the data system and I'd have to handle dozens of annoying exceptions. It's more complex than just choosing a target.

I'm working on having variable depth for sections. It should be in the next version.

The drop down menus are pretty essential. While for veteran users it will slow you down, at least new users aren't completely clueless about how to do anything.

KV2: I should be able to allow you to spawn allied ships, I'll try.

Trek: I've stated before that every multiple of ten will introduce pretty big changes in the way the game works. So the first few releases of every tenth number will be pretty buggy, but then again, that's the whole point of releasing the game to you guys at all. If I could fix all the bugs before sending it out I'd just sit on this project till the final version is ready.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

I don't have a better solution for the outlines really, colouring the section doesn't work any more because then you can't see any colour changes you make, you'll get used to it.
No, I don't think we will, actually... it just isn't any good if you can't line up the sections properly... You should just keep the old way the sections were highlighted, or else highlight the actual edges of the sections, not outside of them...

Besides, you could always add in an option to deselect all sections... you used to be able to this by creating a new weapon or section then right-click deleting it (any new sections created after this without selecting another section would be parented to the core), but it doesn't work anymore... it just reselects the core after you hit delete...

Anyway a few other things...

1: Some of the weapons are awfully low on hit points now... 25 HPs for the Cronus' beamers, for example, simply isn't enough when you're faced by ships with tachyon cannons... and only 15 for a particle gun? Really now...

2: The problem with the shift key in this version is actually a bug. If you shift-nudge a section and keep holding shift, the section will continue to move... Same thing if you change it's size...

3: The music doesn't seem to work in this version...

4: I really, really hate the new texturing, both on ships and on the info panel...

5: The new alien dreadnought's pretty cool, and also somewhat stronger than the old dreadnought. Nice job...
TranquilRage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TranquilRage »

Captain Trek wrote:
No, I don't think we will, actually...
If Th15 doesn't change it, i bet you will :D

can't wait to get home from work and try it.
slamscape
Ensign
Ensign

Post by slamscape »

Yeah I noticed the reduced HP, I took my 6 beamer battleship against the alien dreadnaught, and before I got off 2 volleys of fire, 90% of my weapons were gone, yet my hull hadn't taken any damage.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Mmm I usually don't take much damage from Tachyons. I suppose I could make them do reduced damage to turrets.

Turret hp is reduced because it was way too high before. Lots of the turrets had almost as much hp as the section it was based on, this meant that you usually lost weapons when the sections were destroyed, not the turret itself. The way it is now, its not as bad.

There's really no reason to be losing Beamers on the Cronus though since it's projector just nullifies all tachyons.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Cerebrus
Captain
Captain

Post by Cerebrus »

th15 wrote:The drop down menus are pretty essential. While for veteran users it will slow you down, at least new users aren't completely clueless about how to do anything.
The old Ship Builder isn't as complex as you seem to think it was. Everything was right there in the Help menu.