BSF 2 suggestion topic.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

TheBlueEcho wrote:
Müg wrote:
th15 wrote:Ideally, the solution to this is to have sprite packs and have the .shp files define their own dependencies. That means that sprites are distributed in packs which are loaded into the game on startup and each .shp file contains a list of required sprite packs that it looks for before loading.
You mean, like libraries? That'd actually be a really smart idea.
It also sounds like the most logical one. Would this be possible to do with weapons as well? Like, Section Libraries and Weapon Libraries.
Say this idea is carried out;

Would all these tasks be handled by one editing program (All-in-one ship maker)? Or would there be one editor program for each library (Weapon Maker, Section Maker along with Ship Maker etc)?

How will sound effects for weapons/modules be handled?
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

I suppose that it might be worth pointing out that almost all of the sprites here are less than 1KB.
I particularly like the ones made by Kaelis. *hint* *hint* EDIT: But now they've disappeared due to timeout on Photobucket. Fukkit. :x
Last edited by M123 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

Has anyone mentioned a targeting uplink system? Something that would increase the fire rate and accuracy of all friendly weapons in its operational range. It would probably be put on a flagship or a sensor/scouting ship.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Morgion
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Morgion »

I'm baaaaack! (Like anyone would be interested...)

Kinetics. Like, when you shoot at a ship with heavy weapons, it would stagger to the opposite direction to that where the shots came from. The ship firing such weapons would do this, too, if it didn't have enough mass (Number of sprites? HP? A completely new stat?).
Weapons could have a 'Recoil' -stat, which would make ships with too much high-recoil weapons firing to the same direction at the same go out of course and control.

I'd also like to see the nerfing of side- and bacwards movement and have the AI to try to fly beside another ship to initiate a broadside and not turn sidewards and start sliding to the direction. Let me show you what I mean:
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Though I like your diagram, your kickback idea wouldn't work. The closest example I can think of is naval artillery, the cannons used on battleships before missiles took over. Everyone knows what I'm talking about, the long 9, the big guns, 3 to a turret, 3 turrets. When a battleship fires a full broadside of the big guns, do you know how much the ship rocks?
None.
The sheer mass of the ship keeps it from rocking. On a spaceborne craft, there are other things to consider, if recoil were to exist. A ship would need boosters pointing in all directions for maneuvering, and so the booster opposite the cannon could theoretically be used to offset the kickback. And if the guns were mounted on top, wouldn't the broadsidng ship do a barrel roll of sorts?
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
BioTronic
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BioTronic »

I have a couple of ideas.

- Graph-based instead of tree-based ships. Each section having a minimum and maximum of one parent section means larger ships either need to be made unnecessarily complex, or fall apart in weird ways. Consider a two-pronged fork at the front of a ship, with a shield at the end. Like this: =)
There are currently four imperfect solutions to this:
-x Have two shields, each connected to one of the prongs. (Gives a weird explosion when you destroy the first shield)
-x Connect the shield to only one of the prongs (Makes for weird destruction patterns, shield at full health detaches and dies when one prong is destroyed)
-x Connect the shield to a centered section further back (You can now destroy the two prongs and the shield will hang there in space, ostensibly not connected to anything)
-x Add a central prong to the design (Which ruins my design)

- Moving sections. Adding an orbiting gun platform to my space station smells of fun. This could be done either by making sections actually movable, or by creating a gun platform ship with a behaviour of 'orbit'.
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Post by DeathsHand »

BioTronic wrote:I have a couple of ideas.

-Graph-based instead of tree-based ships. Each section having a minimum and maximum of one parent section means larger ships either need to be made unnecessarily complex, or fall apart in weird ways.[/b] Consider a two-pronged fork at the front of a ship, with a shield at the end. Like this: =)
There are currently four imperfect solutions to this:
-x Have two shields, each connected to one of the prongs. (Gives a weird explosion when you destroy the first shield)
-x Connect the shield to only one of the prongs (Makes for weird destruction patterns, shield at full health detaches and dies when one prong is destroyed)
-x Connect the shield to a centered section further back (You can now destroy the two prongs and the shield will hang there in space, ostensibly not connected to anything)
-x Add a central prong to the design (Which ruins my design)

- Moving sections. Adding an orbiting gun platform to my space station smells of fun. This could be done either by making sections actually movable, or by creating a gun platform ship with a behaviour of 'orbit'.
O_o Having large ships that "fall apart" makes no sense. And as well, suggesting your..."design"... which honestly I can't find any logic in. Why would one want their larger ship to be unnecessarily complex? And floating shields provide a rather large disadvantage towards one's opponent. I can see the idea of a bubble shield that absorbs a bit of damage, but if I'm trying to kill an aegis mongering spam fest, the last thing I want is for the shields to hand in there AFTER I kill the host section. :|

Though, I feel just about everyone likes the idea of rotational sections :)
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

DeathsHand wrote:O_o Having large ships that "fall apart" makes no sense. And as well, suggesting your..."design"... which honestly I can't find any logic in. Why would one want their larger ship to be unnecessarily complex? And floating shields provide a rather large disadvantage towards one's opponent. I can see the idea of a bubble shield that absorbs a bit of damage, but if I'm trying to kill an aegis mongering spam fest, the last thing I want is for the shields to hand in there AFTER I kill the host section. :|

Though, I feel just about everyone likes the idea of rotational sections :)
You're an idiot, DeathsHand. He said with parenting THE WAY IT CURRENTLY IS, it results in ships either falling apart in weird ways when certain sections get destroyed, or it results in unnecessarily complex messes. He wants it CHANGED to be something that DOESN'T have those problems.

*slap*

READING COMPREHENSION. FUCKING LEARN IT.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Post by DeathsHand »

Ah, nevermind then. ::selfslap::
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
drekisol
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by drekisol »

Boarding party wepon/module fires a group of small ships that latch on to enemy vessle and once a group or a large size collects on it ship becomes yours

also ability to link custom missions to make a campain

ability to add text at a givent time durring the custom encounters
crazycatX27
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by crazycatX27 »

Boarding party wepon/module fires a group of small ships that latch on to enemy vessle and once a group or a large size collects on it ship becomes yours
That sounds like an awesome idea.
Also I think that some sort of emergency warp that will transport ships to a random point on the battlefield when their core HP gets below 20%
I'm the no. 1 student in the Maximegalon University of slowly and painfully working out the surprisingly obvious
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

so i herd u liek dieterlings
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Arcalane wrote:so i herd u liek dieterlings
Hey man, I herd u liek Dieterlings, so we put a Dieterling in yo Dieterling, so u can warp while u warp
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
LukeRM
Commander
Commander

Post by LukeRM »

T-002 wrote: Yo dawg, I herd u liek Dieterlings, so we put a Dieterling in yo Dieterling, so u can warp while u warp
Fixed.

And I'd like more weapons, plz.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

maybe make some sort of tool with which could make formations
so you could go into sandbox mode and have ship formations ready for testing or making fleet pictures