BSF 2 suggestion topic.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I've taken a renewed interest in modding weapons recently, and I've come across something that could see significant improvement. no offense, but the current ship maker system sucks. there's not as much freedom as there could or should be, and I'd hope this solution isn't too radical.

completely redesign the current system for weapons, modules and sections. here's how my Idea works.

firstly, there is one template for sections, one for weapons, and one for modules. these contain all the same editable boxes of their respective weapons classes, as well as a few additional ones. basically, in addition to the current set of options, there would be a image file to use as the sprite, and another monochrome pic for the hit box (IE: black is in the hit box, white isn't). this would then be saved as another file (IE: weapons get .wep, sections get .sec, and modules could get .mod. also there could be a special one for cores, and any other pieces not found in the above categories. these would all be saved automatically to some folder out of the way, and accessible through a menu in ship maker. the default pieces could be kept and compiled into a dll or something.

basicaly, the UI ends up looking like this, though it would be much better laid out:
1: click it brings up the drop down menu in 2
2: standard windows drop down window. lets you search for things or find them in the list.
so that's my basic idea. there is a drop down menu for each of the options, that lets you select the file you want to load in, and/or you can search for it by name.

in more detail

Code: Select all

(this would be the weapons edit screen.)
[check box] projectile (we're doing projectile)
[check box] beam
[editable field] image for weapon (IE: ...black hole cannon.bmp) this would contain the image for the normal weapon, as well as the firing animation all in the same file. info on how the animation plays is customizable
[editable field] image for weapon (IE: ...black hole shot.bmp) similar to the other image file, but has data on the projectile fired.
[editable field] hit box for turret (self explanatory)
[editable field] hit box for projectile
[editable field] rotation (let's use 0)
[editable field] name (this is the weapon name as it is saved.  let's use 'black hole generator')
[editable field] HP (the default HP value.  editable in SM without modifying file)
[editable field] turning (same)
[editable field] deviation (same as normal)
~I'll expand this if there is interest.~
furthermore, weapons should be able to have multiple layers of customizable sub munitions. Imagine a weasel gun having Demeter sub munitions that fire rail gun like shots. stuff like that, but better. again, all editable to the same degree the parent shot is. also the ability to chose behavior when effected by PD, shields, and other phenomena for a totally customizable game.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Pyront
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyront »

To be able to put our custom ships into the main screen but they have a limit of how large they are (i.e. 10 Sections) and wepons cannot be uber modded.
Pete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pete »

Pyront wrote:To be able to put our custom ships into the main screen but they have a limit of how large they are (i.e. 10 Sections) and wepons cannot be uber modded.
Why? Its just a menu screen. Its not like it has to be balanced or something.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=38337#38337][img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb89/Pete1001/DarzBannerSmall.png[/img][/url]
Those are my encounters. Bloody hell, does ANYONE play those things?
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Pete wrote:
Pyront wrote:To be able to put our custom ships into the main screen but they have a limit of how large they are (i.e. 10 Sections) and wepons cannot be uber modded.
Why? Its just a menu screen. Its not like it has to be balanced or something.
I don't think anyone would like their menu screen running at 30 spf.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

so just don't insert those ships that slow it down that much into your menu. that solves the 30 spf thing easy.
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Flanking Broadside AI. For ships that circle a target while keeping one side turned towards it.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Cycerin wrote:Flanking Broadside AI. For ships that circle a target while keeping one side turned towards it.
Actually, just the ability to mix AIs. Would give you Flanking Broadside, but also stuff like Flanking Kamikaze.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

T-002 wrote:
Cycerin wrote:Flanking Broadside AI. For ships that circle a target while keeping one side turned towards it.
Actually, just the ability to mix AIs. Would give you Flanking Broadside, but also stuff like Flanking Kamikaze.
Also, new AI types like a quick slashing attack past the target; call it 'Drive-by' :lol:
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

you can somewhat simulate that now using negative ai ranges.

edit: key word: somewhat :D
Last edited by lightstriker on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

lightstriker wrote:you can somewhat simulate that now using negative ai ranges.
Except it would go through the enemy instead of past it. It could work for fast-moving enemy ships, though.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Someone said 'recolorable jump hurricanes', I jumped.

Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Dunno if this has been suggested yet, but the ability to change the 'Normal Ship Spawn' spawns to custom ships within the BSF directory.

It would make it much easier to test for balance and things like that.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

or just have the BSF official ship thing that tormaksaber made be included as a default in the custom ships folder.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

If this has already been suggested then I'm surprised I didn't find it, and if not, then it should have been.

I would like an autosave that activates in the shipmaker maybe every 5-10 minutes. A nice feature (in my opinion) would be for it to check whether or not the ship has a name, and if so save to "that name.sb3", and if there is no name to save to something like "autosave.sb3". The shp isn't necessary in my opinion, but I can see why you might want that to autosave as well.

The other thing I'd like is the option to load encounters without the scenery. In other words, I want to be able to play encounters without all the hundreds upon hundreds of nebulae and planets. The things that actually affect the ships would need to stay of course, but the flowery aesthetics easily become a pain when in large numbers.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Pyront
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Pyront »

Swamp Fox wrote:If this has already been suggested then I'm surprised I didn't find it, and if not, then it should have been.

I would like an autosave that activates in the shipmaker maybe every 5-10 minutes. A nice feature (in my opinion) would be for it to check whether or not the ship has a name, and if so save to "that name.sb3", and if there is no name to save to something like "autosave.sb3". The shp isn't necessary in my opinion, but I can see why you might want that to autosave as well.
But if your making a different "version" of that ship (e.g. a disarmer version and a beamer version.) you wouldn't want your disarmer version to be overwritten with the beamer version, but an autosave save idea that always save the ship as autosave.sb3 would be nice.