What are you up to, th15?

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Anna wrote:MMORPG BSF? Nooo.
Technically, BSF is infact an MMORPG, with all that RP going on. Many men online role playing generals...

On topic: I myself support the idea of BSF2 going commercial, but theres really no point in discussing it here. First of all, its th15's decision, not ours, and he can do whatever he wants with his games. Second, AFAIK, hes making the game in-studio, so theres very little chance itll be free.

As for the demo, yes, including fully functional shipmaker in it would be a bad marketing decision, since in the end, its the ship building ability that makes BSF so addictive. Completely removing the shipmaker from demo is also a bad idea, since people should get the taste of the best part. But like Hege said, one could just limit features. Could be a timed demo (10 hours of full functionality, for example), removed ability to save, or just throw out most of the sections and weapons.

As far as ideas (or dreams, if you will) go, id love to see an ability to import custom sections, along with distribution functionality (section packs, few sections packed together; easy download and installation) and integration with ship database (you see what custom section packs each ship uses, and have the ability to download them with the ship). That would add another whole depth level to BSF creativity. Maybe this time around th15 won't be so pointlessly worried about 'feature creep'...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

There's a whole bunch of ideas flying around here for BSF2, some MMO, some not. In the end, it might even be both.

As ever, I'll definitely post the instant something is concrete.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Thanks, th15.

Let's hope it's Quikrete!
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Joy! Awesome, th15.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Kaelis wrote:
Anna wrote:MMORPG BSF? Nooo.
Technically, BSF is infact an MMORPG, with all that RP going on. Many men online role playing generals...
Not in the classic sense, but yes, it has rather spawned it's own metagame.
Kaelis wrote:On topic: I myself support the idea of BSF2 going commercial, but theres really no point in discussing it here. First of all, its th15's decision, not ours, and he can do whatever he wants with his games. Second, AFAIK, hes making the game in-studio, so theres very little chance itll be free.
Amen. For you youngun cheapskates out there, look into persuading parents to get it for you as a present. Anyone old enough to own a debit card, however, has no excuse for not being able to acquire it.
Kaelis wrote:As for the demo, yes, including fully functional shipmaker in it would be a bad marketing decision, since in the end, its the ship building ability that makes BSF so addictive. Completely removing the shipmaker from demo is also a bad idea, since people should get the taste of the best part. But like Hege said, one could just limit features. Could be a timed demo (10 hours of full functionality, for example), removed ability to save, or just throw out most of the sections and weapons.
I would say remove the saving functionality and use of only terran sections, weapons and modules, but that's just me.
Kaelis wrote:As far as ideas (or dreams, if you will) go, id love to see an ability to import custom sections, along with distribution functionality (section packs, few sections packed together; easy download and installation) and integration with ship database (you see what custom section packs each ship uses, and have the ability to download them with the ship). That would add another whole depth level to BSF creativity. Maybe this time around th15 won't be so pointlessly worried about 'feature creep'...
That'd be kinda cool with custom weapon packs as well. I really do want to see easy custom section and weapon integration for BSF2 because... well, just think of the things people could do. No more faffing around jury-rigging imperfect details, or spending hours trying to make internals like a ship and not like a scrapheap.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Commodore111
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Commodore111 »

I would say just removing most of the sections and weapons/modules. Maybe have a cost system and make it so you have a 1000$ max?

I dunno. it shouldn't be too restrictive, but it's still a bad decision to have a fully functional shipbuilder.

I'd buy the game anyway though.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Well judging from how people use the shipmaker, I don't really think that a 'limited' shipmaker would really be all too... limiting. Most people make ships as an aesthetic thing, not as a combat or otherwise practical thing.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

My suggestion as to how to run custom weapons/modules/sections/ships etc. would probably to run it in a similar way to the way Gmod handles mods/addons. If there are a couple folders such as "Custom Weapons" or whatever, we could expand the database or something to accept some sort of weapon file, or, even easier, use the folder just as a place for string collections in .txt or something. Then individual weapon-modders could use SVN to make and update downloads.

Also nice would be a little "Import weapon" button.

It seems to me that it would be fairly simple to code, at the easiest it's just adding a folder, but then again, I've never coded anything.
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

Arcalane wrote:Amen. For you youngun cheapskates out there, look into persuading parents to get it for you as a present. Anyone old enough to own a debit card, however, has no excuse for not being able to acquire it.
Unless the game's put in a provider program like Steam, then yes, I'd have an excuse. Steam (AKA STEAMing pile of shit™) doesn't let me use my card, no matter what method I use. Support hasn't even given me an answer yet to why it does that despite me asking the question five months ago. :roll:
I doubt that'll happen though.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
Nahki
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Nahki »

if BSF2 costs money and its advertised and stuff it wud probably end up as a torrent every cool game ends up in a torrent... example : Crysis , Mass Effect
and the list goes on and on and on... i probably never buy it if it costs like a ton of money

but whit a smaller cost like 15-19$ it wud be awesome even i was buying it

one question : are the graphics going to be improved? or at least some effects putted in?
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Nahki wrote:if BSF2 costs money and its advertised and stuff it wud probably end up as a torrent every cool game ends up in a torrent... example : Crysis , Mass Effect
and the list goes on and on and on... i probably never buy it if it costs like a ton of money
That's good point. If it costs too much, we'll either A) have a smaller, denser community because fewer n00bs play it, or B) a larger community, because it will be commercially advertised.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
antisocialmunky
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by antisocialmunky »

Google's trying to do ingame advertising now a days.

Would be useful to do with a self sustaining online matchmaking server since the ad revenue would be proportional to traffic.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

That would be cool. Like, amazingly cool. I'll just steal my mom's debit card when the time comes 8)
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]