Why is there a HP difference?

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Why is there a HP difference?

Post by bl3d4 »

Just to check.
You see, I was working on a station, but when I checked the HP of 2 parts of similar size, their HPs varied when put at the 'front' and the 'back' of the station. (Their distance from the core was the same, I counted the times I nudged them.)
Anyone can explain this?
We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.
- Sir Arthur Eddington
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

The HP formula is tuned to actually give more HP points to sections in front rather than sections at the back, to encourage and more realistically depict the effect of flanking. That's from what I know.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Master Chief wrote:The HP formula is tuned to actually give more HP points to sections in front rather than sections at the back, to encourage and more realistically depict the effect of flanking. That's from what I know.
That would apply if it were actually a ship, numbnuts. He's talking about stations.

In which case it's an error in distribution that probably needs fixing. Somehow. No idea how though.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Arcalane wrote:That would apply if it were actually a ship, numbnuts. He's talking about stations.

In which case it's an error in distribution that probably needs fixing. Somehow. No idea how though.
That's the point. Maybe th15 didn't change the HP formulas for stations and left them the same as ships? Or maybe it could have been yet another bug...

Well well. It needs fixing though, that's for sure.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Stations are supposed to have hp scaled only by distance to core, after all, they keep rotating and don't really have a front.

The shipmaker may display it incorrectly, the actual values are re-calculated in game. One of the debug buttons will let you see it, I can't remember if it was the del, end or F8 key. Or maybe f7.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

th15 wrote:Stations are supposed to have hp scaled only by distance to core, after all, they keep rotating and don't really have a front.

The shipmaker may display it incorrectly, the actual values are re-calculated in game. One of the debug buttons will let you see it, I can't remember if it was the del, end or F8 key. Or maybe f7.
Can it be made to work for broadside ships? Its just that I'm sick of having my ships' ass shot off in battle.
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

A Broadside HP formula would be nice. Gives the most HP to the sides, and less HP to the back and front.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

th15 wrote:Stations are supposed to have hp scaled only by distance to core, after all, they keep rotating and don't really have a front.

Del. ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

Thanks everyone! =)
We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.
- Sir Arthur Eddington
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Da_Higg wrote:Can it be made to work for broadside ships? Its just that I'm sick of having my ships' ass shot off in battle.
So manually set the hp values of sections then, that's what it's for.
Sean 'th15' Chan
bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

Er... When I press Del, the Hp shown doesn't change...
- Sir Arthur Eddington
-- Chapman Cohen
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

In-game, not in the shipmaker.
Sean 'th15' Chan
bl3d4
Commander
Commander

Post by bl3d4 »

:oops: Oh... Thanks then.

Lock the topic!
- Sir Arthur Eddington
-- Chapman Cohen