Making the Official Ships (Update on Page 4)

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZECVQC1E

Like usual, sorry about the MegaUpload. You should know by now my ship pack releases are never small.

This is every playable ship in the game plus some extras meant to be player ships but were either removed or not used, as well as a few ships from the campaign. They come in empty hull, and full loadout form, and are fully doodaded and colored. If the Shipmaker keeps my colors, then here's the translation so you're not confused and can configure your own colors properly:

Green is Color 1
Silver is Color 2
Gold is Color 3

All ships were done in "Player" colors, that is, Core Color 1.

Send any bug reports or fixes, and I'll get on it. I'm most concerned about unaligned doodads, and firing arcs. Very minor changes in weapon placements I'm unlikely to fix, such as being a single pixel off or such.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I Did NOT assign custom HP to sections, so there is slight deviation in hitpoints between my versions and the "canon" versions. In some cases it's a bit higher, in others a bit lower. I never noticed a deviation of more than 10 HP from the original, either way. I don't feel it affects it too much, and can't be bothered to change it.

I'll start on the enemy ships tomorrow.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Honestly right now doodads are so wonky it's better to hand-place all of them rather than mirroring. :?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Arcalane wrote:Honestly right now doodads are so wonky it's better to hand-place all of them rather than mirroring. :?
Yeah, but the way I work, if I hand place them, I'll end up with doublemirroring all over the place. *shrug*
wolfy
Commander
Commander

Post by wolfy »

how do you use that site? i can't find the button to actually download the file, just ads and crap.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Click the link. Near the top of the screen is a download code you need to enter, 3 letters. Put that in, and hit enter. On the next screen, you need to wait 45 seconds, and then click the "free download" button near the bottom. From there you can download the file.

I know it's a hassle, sorry, but unless th15 ups the filesize you can upload to his site (I don't blame him for keeping it small), then this is what I need to use.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Just about halfway done with the enemy ships. They go a lot faster than the player ones because they're mostly smaller and simpler to do.

The only thing I've hit a snag on so far is I can't give Nagaya's second ship the innate core-booster it has for its Tachyons and Scatterbeamers.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I can't wait for the full set. I miss the days when they came packaged with the game, but I can see th15's reluctance to rebuild them all in SB3. Good thing you've taken up the task :P.

Also:
TormakSaber wrote:...this is what I need to use.
www.mediafire.com is a very easy-to-use web host. It may have ads, but it beats megaupload hands down.
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Minor error: Major Hong's ship is missing its flak gun.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

Wonder was that in official version too?
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Water_and_Wind wrote:Minor error: Major Hong's ship is missing its flak gun.
Oh, bugger. Thanks, I'll fix that for the next version.

And no, my version has zero parenting errors that I've found so far. Credit goes to.. Captain Trek, I believe? For the pack that currently ships with the game. I'm not trying to steal his thunder or anything, I think his ships are awesome, but I think it's time they got an overhaul with SM3 compatibility and appearance.

I just started my new job, so I haven't had quite as much time to work on these, sorry. I'll finish up the enemies as fast as possible. Enemies are taking longer because there's a lot in the game that you can't spawn by default, I'm having to hunt them down in Grinder, and campaign missions, and snap good screenshots.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Sorry about the lack of updates.

I've just finished all the standard enemies, and I'm now scouring the missions and Grinder to find the "hidden" enemies.

I've not included duplicate hulls, or "poinless" hulls. For example, the pirate ships are are only a core and a weapon, I have not included a hull version for. And for pirate ships that have an "Upgraded" alien version and a standard version, but appearance wise look identical, they do not have two hull versions, there is only a single one.

Also new in the next version: I fixed the bug with Hong's ship, and I also added Admiral Cherenkov's ship. It's simply an 800 HP Hecate, but I thought you all might want it.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Alright, I've finished every enemy that I could find, including the things like the Siege Ship, the Alien Transport from Graveyard, and things like that. The hardest thing to remake was Nagaya's 3rd ship. I'm fairly sure there's... large inconsistencies there, but it maintains the shape and does look like it, so...

I've also included the Civilian Transport in the Player pack.

Mind that these ships aren't mine, they're th15's/WnW's/whoever made them and put them in the game, etc etc, I simply remade them to make them more easily accessible to players with the new SM3 format, especially with the new Encounter Maker that requires importing ships, there's no standard ship menu to select. This means you'd need to remake the original ships anyways if you wanted to use them. I've saved you all the time! :D

Please report any bugs for mistakes you find to me so I can fix them, please. I'd like to ask th15 to include this in later releases of the game, replacing Capt. Trek's outdated and bugged set of ships.

With this, I think every official ship so far has been remade by me. Unless new ships get added, either via Mission 9 and 10, or new player ships, or etc, I believe, barring bug fixes, this will be the final version.

At request, I've uploaded this onto Mediafire instead of MEgaUpload. If it asks you to overwrite ships, do so.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2nvy14c124m

EDIT: Oh. The color schemes.

Player:
Color 1: Green
Color 2: Silver
Color 3: Gold

Ally/Alien (I used Ally for Aliens, because there is no Core 4 color)
Color 1: Blue
Color 2: Aqua
Color 3: Silver

Pirate:
Color 1: Red
Color 2: Grey
Color 3: Orange.

These keys will be helpful when coloring your own ships, if you wish for a specific color scheme.
Stryder
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Stryder »

Thank you for your time and efforts!!!!

The ships are mentioned quite appreciably in the The Beginners Guide to Encounter Making http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1616

You've done a very fine job and saved all of us a lot of work. If there was such a thing as being Knighted in the BSF community, you'd have my vote.
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

What a great achievement! This really makes it much easier for people who want to make their own scenarios involving the canon ships! The extra doodads are a nice touch too. Not all of the weapons are pixel-perfectly aligned but that's OK to most I guess. The most serious error is the sections connected to the core of the Alien dreadnought holding the demeters; those should be flipped. By and large its great though GJ.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

I just noticed I didn't include the space station from Milk Run. I'll go about adding that, and while I'm at it, I'll fix the dreadnought bug. Thanks WnW :D