Battleships Forever Info | 0.90d released 14 Apr

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Alright, I suppose I could swap the Flak and Dieterling. Though that way the Flak will die pretty easily.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Mechman
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechman »

Maybe it would help to pull the flak back a bit, so it's not right on the nose of the ship.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

New Version Released!
Get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php

Lots of cool stuff in this version. A few new weapons an a whole new game mode. Leviathan is a game mode where you are challenged to destroy an enormous Alien battle platform within a time limit. Points are awarded for damage done and bonus points awarded for destroying the station early.

The Tmolus finally gets a module in the form of the Frosch Gun. This fires a charged ball lightning that disables electronics on the target.

On top of the new content, there's a whole bunch of balance tweaks and graphical fine-tuning. Damage sections have lightning effects on them too.

The Shipmaker has all of the new weapons (and the ones that were missing before) and has been improved too.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Game_boy

Post by Game_boy »

"This game is still being virus-scanned"

Um...?
[b]Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.[/b]
Cerebrus
Captain
Captain

Post by Cerebrus »

I call intellectual design theft on that Leviathan!

>_>
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Yea don't download it from the yoyogames side, I changed the link. Yoyogames' new instant play thingie doesn't seem to handle installer files. So I don't think I'll be able to use yyg anymore...

Cerebrus: Oh crap, sorry, forgot to mention you for that. I knew I was forgetting something. I'll put it in the next version okay?
Sean 'th15' Chan
Cerebrus
Captain
Captain

Post by Cerebrus »

Whenever you get around to it is perfectly fine with me.
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

Is it possible to aquire a zip version of the newest release? I have no access to my normal computer, and I can't install anything on the comp i have access to.
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
SuicideJunkie
Ensign
Ensign

Crash on game launch

Post by SuicideJunkie »

I got the 0.75 (and now the 0.76a) version, but I can't get it to work.

On the XP box, I get one of those fun "send an error report to MS" dialogs, and after that the game says "Failed to load the game data. File seems corrpted", (due to the previous error presumably)

On my 98 box, it ran, but with Dx8 it said it could not start the video. With Dx9 added, it ran, and I saw some nifty menu battles, but as soon as I clicked to actually go in and play, it locked up.

I'm not sure where to start.
The MS report is here
I'm running XP sp2 on a P4 2.5ghz w 2Gb/ram
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

You managed to installed the game but it won't run? Sounds like a directx or graphics card problem. Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers in addition to directx?
Sean 'th15' Chan
SuicideJunkie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SuicideJunkie »

Thing is, on the XP box, I get the crash before even the splash screen. Then it says it failed to load the data files.
The 98 box didn't originally complain about the video until a minute after the splash screen came up.

Can't hurt to check for newer drivers of course.
Edit:
No change :(

PS: Should this be in the bugs thread instead?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

SuicideJunkie: I don't know what I can do to help you. Previous complaints of this nature have always been about directx or video card drivers.

Also, here's a sneak peek at the changelog for the next version that I should be releasing tomorrow:
v0.77
-Fixed invisible Frosch Gun bullets in non-surfaced mode
-Tweaked Tachyon sprite so the edge blends properly, reduced its physics size so it doesn't clip things so easily.
-Tweaked HP distribution on Space Stations so that outer sections don't have so little HP
-Thanks to Cerebrus for the Leviathan station design! Forgot to mention this in the previous version
-The chance of a ship dropping a power up now increases with each wave of the Grinder. It starts at 20% and hits 30% by wave 15.
-Various little optimizations to improve game performance
-Reduced Nagaya's turning speed
-Powerups no longer spawn when you destroy Impeder Platforms
-Impeder effect increased
-Increased Teller's Beam accuracy, changed the beam sprite a little too
-Fixed the menu flow
-Fixed text alpha bug in briefing
-Fixed slight glitch in message box background scan lines
-Optimized the way ship blending is calculated, significant performance increase from that.
-The Gravbeam really throws stuff around now. It can even chuck meteors and debris sections around.
-Added AI code for Gravbeam
-Added code to cause turrets to always try to hit that target specified by the player, even if it goes out of range turrets will now reacquire the target once it comes back within range
-Fixed bug that occured when you targeted an enemy ship then changed your ship's AI to broadside
-Ordering a ship to face an enemy ship while in broadside AI now properly sets the facing for a broadside attack
-Added AI for Teller Torpedo launcher
-Intermittent "error in function power()" bug should be fixed
-Added description for Aedon
-Frosch AI and enemy versions spawns properly now
-Tweaked AI so they retreat more often and aren't stuck retreating forever
-Added a twisting effect to the screen shake
-Added more "levels" of enemies to Blockade and added a mechanism to remove ships with no weapons left
-Finished Graveyard mission!
-You can now issue face-to targets to components of an enemy ship
-Added an option to play any of the skirmish modes with custom ships enabled
-Changed the keys for Sandbox mode so that it isn't so confusing, it's now mapped to F2 for Player/Allied custom ships, F3 for Player/Enemy normal ships and F4 for Enemy Custom ships. The Insert key is used exclusively to clone ships
Sean 'th15' Chan
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

-Added description for Aedon
finnaly.
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

!!!

:D!!!
Mechman
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Mechman »