Hestia Alpha

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

That top one's not bad MD... though maybe it should have a point masser where the rear mining beam is. If the Hestia alpha stays a short ranged 'brawler', a point masser would greatly increase it's survivability.

As for the six-shooter Hesita Gamma, I liked to too, but you're right TH, it was overpowered, even with it's huge target profile...

So, what else could we do with the alpha, then?
TranquilRage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TranquilRage »

To be honest its only over powered if you do not micro managed. If you bother with an extra 2 clicks during the fight, it ends up wingless and useless. Also, blasters are worth about a third to a half of a laser against any ship with point defence.

Balanced ships with proper AI Range set FTW
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

I don't think so tranq, 5 Hestia Gammas made 30 Blasters which very quickly ripped through everything, regardless of the amount of PD it had.

I gave the Hestia Alpha a booster because I wanted to have less long range firepower than the main hull but the capability of using a smaller number of Pulse turrets to put out a huge amount of firepower. One of the configurations I'm considering is having 2 Pulse on the tip of each wing and a booster and particle gun on the front prongs. This gives 4 boosted Pulses and two particle guns.

KV2: Sorry, can't see the pictures from this computer right now, I'm not at home.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Post by The Infamous RayCav »

I would think that a short-range variant would have a lot of or even solely pulse guns, since pulse guns are explicitly a short-range weapon. Pulse guns are very hard to intercept with PD, but requires going in close enough to be chewed-up by drones, blasters and lasers.

Also, I agree with MD's assessment about shielding.
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
TranquilRage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TranquilRage »

th15 wrote:I don't think so tranq, 5 Hestia Gammas made 30 Blasters which very quickly ripped through everything, regardless of the amount of PD it had.
Hmm thats a good point. Generally for balancing I use small engagements of only a few ships. Blaster fire scales very well because multiple point defence weapons will target the same blaster bolt. So PD doesn't scale well in a big fight. Never though of that.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Uhh, KV sorry but those are a little too powerful for a ship of the line like this.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Havock
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Havock »

just feeding some thoughts:
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
slamscape
Ensign
Ensign

Post by slamscape »

Here is something I came up with, I added extra armor pieces (going along with the older model theme, the never version would be more streamlined)
I removed the center pulse cannon and added 2 to the back. And I removed the booster to compensate for the extra armor and cannon, its now really a close range destroyer

Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

That one's actually kind of cool Slamspace... giving the alpha 'armour' would make it unique from the other destroyers pretty well...
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Yea I like it too. The only problem is performance issues (more sections = more processing), but I can try to get around that.
Sean 'th15' Chan
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

What about mysz?
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Post by The Infamous RayCav »

havok: one of the best designs I've seen so far, but I would like to make a suggestion:

I'm not too fond of adding in extra sections when not necessary (the stub-wing thingies), and the forward wing thingies are kinda "naked." Also, I'm just not fond of mining beams, but that's my personal preference.

KV2: Actually I liked your first design better (except for the lancet). As for this design, it's also good except the gatpulses are kinda too clustered together - when the section goes you lose half your firepower. Also, I'm not sure if the tachyon cannon is appropriate for the role.

slamscape: I like it, the extra sections look awkward but they do act as ablative armor.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

In my opinion, the best design so far in terms of makign the alpha unique has been Slamscape's 'armoured' design. It is a little ugly, but hey, it's a start...