Hestia Alpha

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

What is what?
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Post by The Infamous RayCav »

Captain Trek wrote:
As for the Hestia alpha, though, I'm really not sure what tactical niche it could fill. With the Enyo and Tmouls now on the scene, it seems to me that the Hesitas alpha and gamma have been rendered obselete.
According to the game description, the Hestia Alpha is a short-range, heavily armed variant while the Hestia Gamma was meant as a long-range "support" ship. The Gamma (which, with just two blasters and a quadblaster was just rather pathetic) was meant to be replaced by the Enyo, which in its first incarnation was more appropriate to replace the Alpha but has since filled its intended niche well with the rail guns, plus the Moira handles the long-range support rather well too..
If you really want to keep it though, I have a few ideas that could set it apart from the other destroyers...

1: Make it a contemporary to the Athena. Perhaps the Hesita alpha could be to the Hesita prime what the Athena was to the Hecate... Of course, the alpha still wouldn't be completely unique in that case...

2: Arm it with demeters. People have been asking for a demeter destroyer for ages...

3: Give it a nano matrix and turn it into a repair ship.

4: Give it two or three specail modules and turn it into a 'science ship' like in Star Trek armada, which are poorly armed but have numerous useful specail abilities.
I think the above would really warrant a seperate Hestia varaiant altogether since th15 is looking for a short-range brawler.
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

th15 wrote:What is what?
I think he's asking about some of the "alien" Hestia variants during the intro battle scene.

Anyway, I think the Hestia Alpha should stick to non-alien weaponry to help maintain that "salt-of-the-earth" feeling. Not to toot my own horn, but I think the variant I proposed works rather well - it builds on the already existing variant by adding on gatpulse guns and replacing one of the blasters with a gatpulse blaster, plus the booster now has three weapons to work with.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

The problem with the booster effecting three weapons at once is that it'll run out of power in seconds. You'll notice the same thing if you boost the Hecate's blasters...

Anyway, I reckon 'salt of the Earth' is already covered by the Hestia prime. It's blasters, pulse guns and particle gun are nothing too specail and I don't consider deflectors to be a particularly flashy or advanced module...

So yea, I think the Hestia alpha should be a refit or upgrade of the Hesita prime, not the other way around... besides that wouldn't make sense becuase the Hestia prime seems to have first dibs on the name 'Hestia', implying that it came first...
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

Captain Trek wrote:The problem with the booster effecting three weapons at once is that it'll run out of power in seconds. You'll notice the same thing if you boost the Hecate's blasters...
That's one thing I noticed when I was testing it, but hey, it sure pumps out a lot of firepower during those few moments :)
Anyway, I reckon 'salt of the Earth' is already covered by the Hestia prime. It's blasters, pulse guns and particle gun are nothing too specail and I don't consider deflectors to be a particularly flashy or advanced module...
I have to agree with you there. I always imagined the Hestia Alpha as being an extremely overpowered version, especially with the booster module, but still retaining "conventional" weapons.
So yea, I think the Hestia alpha should be a refit or upgrade of the Hesita prime, not the other way around... besides that wouldn't make sense becuase the Hestia prime seems to have first dibs on the name 'Hestia', implying that it came first...
Good point there too
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

Ah I give up guys...
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
TranquilRage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TranquilRage »

Single center line Laser Beam OR 2 one on each Forward section
2 Deflectors on Wing Struts
3 Point Masers one on each wing, one center line.
AI Range set to 700

The point masers will greatly increase its defences against blasters and demeters. The deflectors will protect against laser fire and its AI range should keep it out of pulse/tachyon range.

Its damage output would be lowish and it would be slightly vulnerable to lasers and 360 incoming fire.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

We already have a PD cruiser in the Helios...
TranquilRage
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TranquilRage »

Its not a "PD cruiser" its a cruiser that happens to have PD on it to defend itself. Maybe drop the PD masers to 2 if you think its encroaching on the Helios's territory.

Also, dropping the Helios's AI range to 250 or 300 would encourage it to take point.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Actually, I liked the six-shooter Hestia Gamma. It had a nice look and feel. It's just that it was horribly overpowered. Any destroyer with 6 blaster is just damned difficult to balance. If you've not seen this version of the Gamma, it had the rear wings rotated out so that it spread far and 3 blasters on each wing.

Also, the Tmolus now serves as the secondary Point Defence ship in the fleet with it's quad Particle Guns. The Thetis is the third PD support ship with it's exotic Point Beams and the Peitho is the area denial ship because it blocks off lines of fire with it's sheer bulk.
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

*sighs*
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
Boba Fettuccini
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Boba Fettuccini »

too strong.
[center][url]www.boba-fettuccini.com[/url][/center]
The Infamous RayCav
Commander
Commander

I have to agree, even with just mining beams its practically invincible from the front.
KV2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KV2 »

*sighs* When is Th15 ever gonga look at my stuff...
Major Hong's Ship Rocks!
Major Diarrhia
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Major Diarrhia »

What about these? I don't think it makes sense for the long range one to have deflectors and the short range not to, it backwards.

[url=http://battleshipsforeverships.googlepages.com/]Battleships Forever Ships[/url]
[url=http://majordiarrhia.googlepages.com/]Sword of the Stars Mods[/url]