Some autocannon sprites + new improved sprites!

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

god froggy
Commander
Commander

Some autocannon sprites + new improved sprites!

Post by god froggy »

I promised I would try to make some sprites, and although your eyes will likely bleed after looking at them, they're an achievement for me.

Just a quick thing, these may look like other people's sprites but they are not for 2 reasons:
1. The style I used was based off several other people's weapons. (Mainly Arcalane's and HorseMonster's)
2. After making them, they do look similar to other people's weapons with a few extras.
But they are definitely mine.

So here it is: (first one is wrong at the moment, I know.)

And to stop making another thread for the biggest pile of shit I have seen in my life, aka a modified beamer sprite, here it is:

The beamer... it took minutes, because it was my first sprite. But the autocannons, I need c&c for them, things to do are:
1. Animate those bitches!
2. Make the ammo holders better
3. Make them look less 2D

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by god froggy on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SO I HERD U LIEK NOOBZ!?
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Some autocannon sprites

Post by Silverware »

The auto cannons are too square for me.
They also need a 1px border around them or stuff can fuck up.

To make them look less 2D simply make the lighting on the sides take more than 1px. 3px or 4 px should do the trick.

Also on the one with a base make the base a separate sprite so the cannon can rotate independently.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

Silverware wrote:The auto cannons are too square for me.
They also need a 1px border around them or stuff can fuck up.
Oh Thanks I didn't know that =P

Silverware wrote:To make them look less 2D simply make the lighting on the sides take more than 1px. 3px or 4 px should do the trick.
I was thinking of this but the barrel is only 6px thick at the moment anyway, including the border.

Silverware wrote:Also on the one with a base make the base a separate sprite so the cannon can rotate independently.
I will but the point of this one is so it can be mounted as a fixed weapon. Good idea though.

I would do this now but I need some goddamn sleep. New stuff should be done by tomorrow/day after.
SO I HERD U LIEK NOOBZ!?
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

actually it's only the bottom left pixel that needs to be the transparency colour. other than that you're fine.

right now i think most of the shading is quite good for SWA style, although the ammunitio could no with a one pixel bar of shading down one side. i'd suggest having only one ammo clip, as it looks odd with a clip on both sides, and have empty clips ejected out the other side. for animating, i'm sure someone made a thread about making animated gifs using gimp on the forums, go find it! basically you have to make every frame separately though =/
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

You based these on HorseMonster's weapons? Doubtful... or if so you didn't really do a very good job. His are a lot more detailed, well-shaded and 3-dimensional looking. These are fine for really primative SWA ships maybe, but otherwise... eh.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

Anna wrote:You based these on HorseMonster's weapons?
Well I suppose it was the shape of one of his older ones. The way it was made was similar to Arc's and a few other ones.

EDIT:Here are the new ones. They are much better I think, thanks for the advice everyone.

And also the mount, even though it's just a shape on top of a bigger shape.

I wouldn't recommend copying them. I will name them properly and upload them in a pack if I get good feedback
SO I HERD U LIEK NOOBZ!?
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Re: Some autocannon sprites + new improved sprites!

Post by HorseMonster »

I wouldn't be caught dead making sprites that had such a blatantly incorrect lighting source.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

So can you uh... expand on that just a bit?

Mine is coming from SSE, or the direction of a backslash \ from bottom to top. Which way should it be going?
SO I HERD U LIEK NOOBZ!?
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

BSF is a top-down game. The light source should be coming from above.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

No brainer from me then. I'll make more some time I suppose.
SO I HERD U LIEK NOOBZ!?