I'm back. Oh I forgot everything too.

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

god froggy
Commander
Commander

I'm back. Oh I forgot everything too.

Post by god froggy »

As you can see I'm back. Seeing as I am a fail-whale at designing ships, I decided to have a go a custom sprites. I've edited a few for practice but can't upload them yet (permission not yet granted =P)

ANYWAY... Seeing as I've never done this before I tried something apparently simple. I mashed a few sprites together edited a few default sprites, mashed fitted them all together to make a autocannon-on-a-turret thing. Then, seeing as it was an easy way to make it better, I SW-ised it.

SOOO... I looked and thought that it was no way near as simple as my pathetic mind could fathom, so although the SW-ing was alright, it was crap in places. The way I did it was take the BF-style sprite, make the white edges very dark grey then split it in half down the middle. I added shadows, then highlights, then did the same to the other half.

Simple? NO. As this was a steep learning curve for me, I was better at the end than I was at the start, so the bottom of the weapon looks better than the top. :? Also, I haven't seen a good autocannon that isn't animated. Animate it? How the fuck do I do that?

So after some lurking and searching, 2 questions remain. (Out of 2 :P )

1. How do you SW-ify a section well? As in, not a godfroggy-style-SW (crap).
2. And how do you make an animated sprite, I am aware it should start the animation when it fires and cycle to the first then stay there until needed.

Many thanks.
SO I HERD U LIEK NOOBZ!?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: I'm back. Oh I forgot everything too.

Post by Anna »

1. How do you SW-ify a section well? As in, not a godfroggy-style-SW (crap).
You make a stock-like section, convert it to SWA colours using the nice colour palette that Kaelis provided in his Shipwrightizator thread, run the image through Kaelis's Shipwrightizator program, add details to taste. That's the lazy man's way. Everything else comes down to knowing how to draw stuff well. If you're asking how to do that, then maybe making sections is not for you.
2. And how do you make an animated sprite, I am aware it should start the animation when it fires and cycle to the first then stay there until needed.
Make an animated gif. The cycling of the animation happens itself when the weapon fires, so simple make an animated gif with the frames in the right order.

Also, apparently you forgot that this thread is probably more suited to the Shipmaking Info and Resources thread.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Re: I'm back. Oh I forgot everything too.

Post by god froggy »

Yeah thats probably easier than what I did, sorry it's in the wrong forum.

I also remembered how to make animated GIFs overnight so it's all good.

Thanks for your help anyway.
SO I HERD U LIEK NOOBZ!?