Sprites from Screen capture

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Jinxicus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Sprites from Screen capture

Post by Jinxicus »

Is there any way to make the sprites you can make from taking a screen shot in game any clearer? They always seem to come out fuzzy and with bad boarders. I have tried using a neon green background, a black one and a white and they all end up shading the borders and muddying up the sprite...

I am trying to consolidate sprites to make my ship animate smoother.

-J

The bottom is the original combination of individual sprites.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Im not sure what is it exactly that you are doing, but 'blurriness' is caused by scaling (including zooming in/out) and rotation.
Jinxicus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Jinxicus »

I took the shot then opened it in paint.net, when I saved it and imported, the sprite was way bigger that what I took a shot of. Then when I reduce the size it gets funky black specs arround the edges and in the open areas.

-J
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Jinxicus wrote:I took the shot then opened it in paint.net, when I saved it and imported, the sprite was way bigger that what I took a shot of
Then you should consult paint.net documentation and/or forums, since theres no way that shipmaker is responsible for this.
Jinxicus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Jinxicus »

So if I just put the screen shot back into the sb without editing it it will come out right?

-J
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Just to make sure: You're using F9 in SM to take screenies, right?

Edit: Any sprites that have been scaled / rotated / decimal placed will end up blurry even when you're in default zoom in the ShipMaker, just so you know.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Well for starters make sure your using f9 like squishy said, not print screen. Also doing it at default zoom(home button) is important. However if you really want to make sections from combinations of other sections, I recommend just opening photoshop or gimp, something that uses layers, and making it in there. Much easier.

I've combined quite a few sprites for the same reason, so if you need help, just shoot me a screenshot of the arrangement you want.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

How about just doing it properly with two or more copies of standard paint open all you have to do is copy the sections you want and paste em onto a blank page using the transparency and background color features.
Simple. Also lets you see the pixels better than SM does
Jinxicus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Jinxicus »

Thanks for the info, I will try those suggestions out on monday when I get back.

-J