shadowbane's first sections

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

shadowbane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

shadowbane's first sections

Post by shadowbane »

Hi, I have been lurking for quite a while now, and I decided to try to make a few sections. Here are a few I just made. I'm not satisfied with all of them, but I think they are pretty decent. There's no download yet, but if you guys are interested, just say so.
grumpy
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Those are actually really good for just starting out, some of them look a little bland and could use a little more details (lines etc) but keep up the good work.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

These are indeed pretty good. I especially like the bottom left, bottom middle, and top right. Some of the others are starting to look like you threw too many organic lines in there. I try to avoid making boxy sprites like those too rounded or detailed unless they have a purpose, ya know? Doesn't make for good meshing between them. Speaking of that, might take into consideration how some of them would fit together when designing them, ie; like puzzle pieces.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Similar to Kae's Generic 2 Selection.
Not too bad really.
They could do with a little more detail, but then there are the builders who like ships with large detail rather than small detail.
shadowbane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

some new pieces

Post by shadowbane »

Here are some new pieces. I tried to add more detail. The little black bit sticking out of the bottom right one is a little bit of the core sticking out (since I only know how to take screenshots by arranging my sections in shipmaker). Please comment and give me advice.

grumpy
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: some new pieces

Post by jwa8402 »

shadowbane wrote:(since I only know how to take screenshots by arranging my sections in shipmaker).
Wait, really? How did you upload your screenshot? You took the image file and uploaded it to photobucket. Why wouldn't you just do the same with the section file itself?...Unless you mean you didn't know how to arrange them in paint or something.

Anyway, sections are improving. Some of them could have slightly sharper angles, but the middle and top on the right are definitely useful.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

These new ones are much better.
the detail is nice, probably could use some different shading, to make them appear less flat.

Also if you open two copies of paint and copy and past from one into another you can make a group of different sections easier. Also makes it easier if you use a standard background color and use that as your right click color and set copy and paste to transparent backgrounds.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

I think that these are a bit too similar to what I have to be much use. Did you base them on already existing sections or are these entirely original?
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

Skull13 wrote:I think that these are a bit too similar to what I have to be much use. Did you base them on already existing sections or are these entirely original?
It doesn't matter. These are his first works: you might as well give him a pat on the back before running him through the morale shredder.

I like them. I like them A LOT. Detailed, yes, generic, yes. but they look sweet, and that's what matters, and that's why people will want to download them. To me, they appear to be a mix of Kae's generic, mecha, and mini styled sections, but hey, you don't get those combinations every day. I look forward to a download, y'hear? Don't let other people discourage you.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
shadowbane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

more sections

Post by shadowbane »

Here's another quick update. I couldn't decide what to put in the last spot, so I just stuck some random bullet I made a long time ago there. I will probably make a download when I get like 40 sections. Thanks for all the tips and comments!
grumpy
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

The bullet is a bit cut off--and you may want to animate that, and straighten the squigglies just a little bit. I'm not going to comment on the sections because I don't know how to comment on them--to me, they're superb.

NOW GIVE YOURSELF A GOOD PAT ON THE BACK AND GET BACK TO WORK.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

I especially like that top right section. The shading gives it a proper sense of depth, as though the lighter bits are above the darker, which works very well with the "chunk" layout so to speak.
I recommend you change the bottom left section to match this shading form.
shadowbane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by shadowbane »

Here are a few mecha sections I made and shaded myself. I'm actually sort of satisfied with these, especially the last. Please comment and give suggestions!

grumpy
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

They look good. They just seem to have no detail. They're shapes put nicely together but put some lines and stuff inside the shapes.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

I have to agree with 25000st
You've gone back to your initial style of coloring again, and the detail was nicer, there are uses for very flat looking pieces but mostly as small chunks of armour or as the base piece for turrets or other more detailed pieces.