Discussion About Shipwright Arms styled sections (split)

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

I wanna keep the old style :(. Even though those are kick ass ships.. Separate Forum for TSA style ships please.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I'd say "maybe if there's enough of them to warrant it", but I get the feeling there will be soon enough.

What I might do is shift the existing Custom Ships forum into an archive and then create a new category with two forums under that, moving the first page or two of ship threads from the CS forum into the stock style forum. Would probably be easiest.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Sounds Logical enough, I think.

A portion of the forum gets a classic style section, while the other half gets the sprite-art style section. And the fact it gets archived will minimize the potential necro-trolling, and bury some of the really old stuff that aint needed no more.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

For the record, I wholeheartedly support conversion of any and all sections I've made. I will admit I'm a bit too lazy to do it myself.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

I wholly support that notion. How 'bout somrthing like in the BSF style something like "Our Founder, Sean Th15" and "Our founder, TheShipwrightArms". Forgive me if that sounds too dumb.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
MagusZero
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MagusZero »

I'd really like to see some alien sections done this way; might be hard to get them to look right though.
praetors
BANNED

Post by praetors »

yeah, corporal, that is a realy good idea and i agree with magus...
please! MORE SPRITES!!!! :D
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

MagusZero wrote:I'd really like to see some alien sections done this way; might be hard to get them to look right though.
I could give a try after the biosections are done.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Arcalane wrote:I'd say "maybe if there's enough of them to warrant it", but I get the feeling there will be soon enough.

What I might do is shift the existing Custom Ships forum into an archive and then create a new category with two forums under that, moving the first page or two of ship threads from the CS forum into the stock style forum. Would probably be easiest.
If you're looking to restructure, I'd like to put in my recommendation (for however little it's worth) for a subforum with thread starting privileges restricted to ship builders who have proven themselves. It would give newbies something to aspire to, and oldies a place to show off their stuff without all the bulk floating around. I miss the days where the majority of threads were filled with ships with some sort of merit; even if only a hint of potential.

On topic: these new sections are really quite kickass, Kaelis. Keep up the good work. I really, really like this new style, and wholeheartedly support it (or something similar to it) becoming the new standard. Noctis is really dead on.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Homer wrote:I wanna keep the old style :(. Even though those are kick ass ships.. Separate Forum for TSA style ships please.
I second Homer. I, however, want to congratulate Kaelis on his completion of the best sections made in history of BSF.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Remember that TSA made the style, not Kaelis, so he's the one who should get most of the credit.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

What the fuck is this "separate forum for SWA-styled ships" business? I don't mind Sponge's idea for a Sub-forum with thread-starting access restricted to certain posters who've proven their talent (I know it's possible, but then, there are a lot of things I know are possible for phpBB2 forums that Arca hasn't been able to add due to stuff), but the idea of a separate forum for ships done in styles other than the default style is... it's ten kinds of retarded.

It's "pants on head" retarded.

It's not even the kind of retarded where you can point and laugh. It's just... there aren't even words.

What possible reason is there for it? Just... I don't get it. Someone give me one logical reason, please.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

Because the realism is so radically dissimilar, that it warrants its own section.

In an art museum, would you place sculptures in the same wing as impressionistic paintings?
Lurk more
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

People should be able to judge things on their own merit. If you wanna make retro, warning-forever style ships then just do so. This is how creative communities evolve.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

unsunghero10 wrote:Because the realism is so radically dissimilar, that it warrants its own section.

In an art museum, would you place sculptures in the same wing as impressionistic paintings?

Code: Select all

[01:36] <Anna> But really, the "separate forum for ShipwrightArms-styled sections" business. How does that in any way make sense?
[01:36] <Chiiro> Well, keeping the two styles separate would make a little sense, in a way.
[01:37] <Kaelis> It does. Those folks know that they won't be able to compete in SW style, so they desperately clutch to the old one.
[01:37] <Anna> ... And then every time a new style of section crops up, we make a forum for that too?
[01:37] <Chiiro> But that'd mean we would have to make a separate forum for Noctis' style as well.
[01:37] <Chiiro> uh yeah, that
[01:37] <Anna> Kaelis: See, that makes sese, but it's a stupid reason.
[01:37] <Verminator> I can see this new style becoming *the* style, and I guess if there was a new forum made it would be the "retro" shipbuilding forum.
[01:37] <Anna> That's like saying "we should have a seperate forum for people who want to make stock ships, and people who want to use custom sections". It's pants on head retarded.
[01:38] <Verminator> I'm not saying it's a good idea
[01:38] <Kaelis> Well, Seraph, how would you feel if you KNEW that you can't make ships in new style, but still wanted to make ships?
[01:38] <Anna> I'd... keep making ships?
[01:38] <Kaelis> I guess its not something you can imagine easily =P
[01:38] <Anna> If they were still good, then people would comment. If they weren't, then all the seperate forums in the world wouldn't help.
[01:39] <cycerin> ffff people can judge things on their own merit
[01:39] <cycerin> keep things the way they are and let people make what they want to make
This whole "separate forums" business comes down to people being scared that new styles will make their older ships obsolete. And it probably will, but if people like your ships, they'll comment. If people don't like your ships, they won't comment, even if they are in their own special area. I vaguely recall the same issue being raised when custom sections were introduced in the first place. It was stupid then, and it's stupid now.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.