StarPath Sprites

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

StarPath Sprites

Post by Silver Swordsman »

Enough of gaping at other people's work. It's time to start myself.

My first attempts failed miserably as I did not know how to decorate pieces. Shapes, sure anyone could draw them, but anything else, I'm beat. Hence, I suddenly had an idea. I spliced together several polygons together (rectangles and parallelograms) and started from there. Surprisingly, it worked! The first sprite took me several hours, but I say that the experience was worth it. I’m currently working on some sprite sets to go along with my StarPath storyline.

Here are some for the Earthan Set.
Image Image

*Background:
Earthan ships look like moving hunks of junk. No kidding. Centuries of ceaseless war had taught the remnants living in the Solar System that aesthetics aren't the most important—winning is. Hence, as long as the ships are operating, they're content. Because of this negligence, Earthan ships are usually asymmetrical, placing weapon turrets where they are the most efficient, not in the best-looking spots. Offset weights created by such placements are countered with other asymmetric placements.

Despite the fact that the Earthan technology is the most archaic, (relying primarily on projectile and chemical weaponry as today) they are by far the least effective. Earthan Nano-Regenerative Armor (NRA) is something not even the Yiggurats have discovered. NRA gives Earthan ships a toughness in combat that is quite daunting, capable of withstanding numerous blows without damage.

The economy ravished by the Earthan Civil War, commanding units seldom receive new ships. Hence, they are forced to use whatever they can salvage. Due to this, most Earthan ships often appear quite battered, although they are far from being out of action. With the onset of plasma weaponry, which NRA regenerative systems are incapable of withstanding, the Earthan fleets are even more shambled looking.

*I haven’t uploaded them as a set, so I’ll fix the names later so that they’ll conform to the rules.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

MAKE MORE OF THESE

THESE ARE AWESOME

BOTH THE UNDAMAGED AND DAMAGED ONES KICK ASS

Seriously, these are mega-cool.
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

New art styles, fuck yeah! You've inspired me alot, actually. This is really nice.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

forgot to say...

Damaged ones come in two levels: Shrapnel and Plasma. You should be able to tell which is which.

Working... working... working. Each one took several hours, fyi.

Solare:
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

Oh wow i likes. one comment though make the color a little darker please? And then it would Epic Win^2
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Here's another one:

The pieces can be individually darkened in SM, but I kinda get what you want. I'll be sure to tune everything down for the final release. This is still BETA.

Solare:
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

I sincerely apologize for the double-post.

Update: I recolored them. For the big gun and first one, recoloring proved to be too hard a task. I like them the way they are. The shade can be darkened via SM. I also added three new ones: A T-brace and a damaged version of it. No plasma-damage version though--further damage would destroy it. I also added the damaged version of the gun cover.

Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Update... More stuff.

I didn't mean to triple post, but no one commented. Can I have some feedback, please?

Solare:
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

posting again is allowed if its new content and several days apart like you did, no worries. I love this stuff! im not cerrtain how well they will work with regular sections, although the darkened ones are a big improvement, but that just means you need to make even more to go with them so theres enough to make a whole ship out of. I want to use some of those + pieces as armor for the quadblaster and to make them look damaged. Actually damaged weapon sprites would look awesome with this. Any eta on a download?
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

I just downloaded the pictures, they're 80x80 pngs anyway so it's fine if he takes time preparing a proper download pack.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

you need to make even more to go with them so theres enough to make a whole ship out of

I currently have 17 pieces finished. I have a total of around 35 planned for the first release.

Oh, and one thing, since I made all these sprites in MSPaint, centering them is rather hard. Can someone center them for me when I'm done?
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Update:

Major overhaul of pieces

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

I think I failed on SS_26

I also created a missile sprite and a flaming bullet sprite. I guess we can now have nuclear missiles.

I also started on the Yiggurat pieces, alien-ish humans that, exiled for 5 millenia, came up with powerful plasma weaponry and otherly advanced technologies. Minerals in their ore gives their ships an uncanny greenish glow, which becomes their signature.

Bow piece of the Yiggurat carrier Scepter of Justice.

I also made some bullet sprites.

Modified pulse bullet

Failed sabotcannon/railgun shot

One of the most challenging things to me was to come up with a style in which the two races could be distinct. To look for inspiration, I took a look at their ways of fabrication. Earthan pieces were probably made by bolting them on top of each other, hence the "bolt squares". The Yiggurat pieces were created by fusing different plates together by fusion welding. Hence, I made Yiggurat pieces have more lines and less dots.

I'm still trying to come up with inspiration for the Zotorians... more to come.

Solare:
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

i particulairly like that bow piece.
you've got a rather different style than most of the other sprites, but i really like them.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Update:

More Earthan pieces.

The first one is supposed to be a battle deck with a hole where you can plop your turrets. I made the grill for people who want fires blazing from within the ship with maximum coverage.
I think I failed on the truss... again. :(

I'm going to need feedback... soon. The Earthan set is going to be more armor-plating oriented, so if you have any additional requests, speak up.

Mwahahahahaha! The first Zotorian piece...

It's meant to be some sort of gun cover. I recently discovered that LEGO Bionicle actually have some rather neat designs. The Zotorian pieces will more or less reflect their style.

Solare:
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

that last one could also be used as a nose piece , keep up the good work.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!