New ship bridges

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

New ship bridges

Post by IBurn36360 »

Well, I thought that, although we have in excess of 400 sections to use, none of them were made to be a bridge, even though most ships have them. In light of this, I have ried to make one.

A: Side piece
B: Front piece

Note: insperations would be nice.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: New ship bridges

Post by Arcalane »

IBurn36360 wrote:Well, I thought that, although we have in excess of 400 sections to use, none of them were made to be a bridge, even though most ships have them.
Semantics time. Bridges are never in exposed areas, due to the whole "heavy ordinance being chucked around" aspect of warfare. You put the command center of your ship somewhere nice and safe that's heavily armoured and hard to get to, not somewhere really obvious and easy to snipe.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Some ships from famous movies actually had their bridges on top, mostly in the style of current naval battleships. The star destroyers from star wars, the very tippy-top of the saucer in Star trek come to mind.

Nice Idea, Iburn. Not quite good enough to warrant a download (only two pieces so far.)

I personally would prefer to just build my own bridges from existing sections, but that's just me.
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

I'm only emulating the clasic space ship. Despite the fact that, yes it is a target, all human represantations of a spaceborne ship have an exposed bridge.

As well, BSF is a 2-D game and targeting the bridge through all of the armour and defences makes it practically worthless to even try.

edit: sorry, posted at the same time, as well, I plan on making MANY more, I just need ideas.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

IBurn36360 wrote:all human represantations of a spaceborne ship have an exposed bridge.
No they don't.

You're an idiot.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

Anna wrote: No they don't.
Alright, maybe not all, but the general conception of a human spaceborne ship is that it is generaly blocky with sharp angles, and it has a bridge, usually with glass to view the environment, placed on top of the ship, placed somewhere close to either the center or center front of the ship.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Yet common sense and real life ship command centers (feel free to ask th15 about that, I'm sure he has some relevant input on the matter) dictate that such is a very flawed idea. Romantic, perhaps, but nevertheless incredibly flawed.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna

Post by Anna »

IBurn36360 wrote:
Anna wrote: No they don't.
Alright, maybe not all, but the general conception of a human spaceborne ship is that it is generaly blocky with sharp angles, and it has a bridge, usually with glass to view the environment, placed on top of the ship, placed somewhere close to either the center or center front of the ship.
And that general conception is both boring and stupid, much like you are. I just... I can't see why people would want to CONTINUE this retarded stereotype. It's obviously stupid. It's obviously overdone. What possible reason is there to keep it going? Ugh.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Anna wrote: And that general conception is both boring and stupid, much like you are. I just... I can't see why people would want to CONTINUE this retarded stereotype. It's obviously stupid. It's obviously overdone. What possible reason is there to keep it going? Ugh.
With all due respect, is it really necessary to be such an ass? No one says you have to like his section, or even the concept, but calling someone stupid because you don't think a commonly used scifi concept is sensible doesn't make much sense, and is not becoming of a mod. I'm all for beating the hell out of people who don't get with the program, but IBurn36360 doesn't fit that bill. He's one of the few people that has even attempted section making, and his result isn't half bad, regardless of how flawed the concept may be.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

Sponge wrote: With all due respect, is it really necessary to be such an ass? No one says you have to like his section, or even the concept, but calling someone stupid because you don't think a commonly used scifi concept is sensible doesn't make much sense, and is not becoming of a mod. I'm all for beating the hell out of people who don't get with the program, but IBurn36360 doesn't fit that bill. He's one of the few people that has even attempted section making, and his result isn't half bad, regardless of how flawed the concept may be.
Thank you
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Even then,the concept may be foolish,but has style points in the sci-fi world.
Noctis
Captain
Captain

Post by Noctis »

Sponge wrote:
Anna wrote: And that general conception is both boring and stupid, much like you are. I just... I can't see why people would want to CONTINUE this retarded stereotype. It's obviously stupid. It's obviously overdone. What possible reason is there to keep it going? Ugh.
With all due respect, is it really necessary to be such an ass? No one says you have to like his section, or even the concept, but calling someone stupid because you don't think a commonly used scifi concept is sensible doesn't make much sense, and is not becoming of a mod. I'm all for beating the hell out of people who don't get with the program, but IBurn36360 doesn't fit that bill. He's one of the few people that has even attempted section making, and his result isn't half bad, regardless of how flawed the concept may be.
I agree with this. Even if you won't use them I'm sure there are some fan ship builders that will.

That said, I do prefer to keep my bridges buried beneath 60 meters of steel :)
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

Even though the sprite is rather ugly and underdetailed, I do side with him right now, because I quite enjoy the concept of a Bridge on a ship. Though that's because I'm a hopeless romantic, I guess...
Still, I like the concept, the execution is flawed. Better luck next time, however, it's the first time you're not assaulting our eyes, so it's a definite improvement and I wholeheartedly hope this trend continues.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

I'll try my best, on a side note, anyone have any good pics of bridges that I could use, I pulled this one from memory, so it was a little skechy, I would prolly be better with a referance.
Anna

Post by Anna »

I'm going to address this on a point by point basis.
Sponge wrote:With all due respect, is it really necessary to be such an ass?
I don't see any due respect there. Perhaps you should try harder.
No one says you have to like his section, or even the concept, but calling someone stupid because you don't think a commonly used scifi concept is sensible doesn't make much sense, and is not becoming of a mod.

I called him stupid because he said a stupid thing (the first post I quoted, fuckwit), and has routinely said stupid things, and has generally been a blight on this forum since his arrival. And you don't get to decide what's becoming of a mod.
I'm all for beating the hell out of people who don't get with the program, but IBurn36360 doesn't fit that bill. He's one of the few people that has even attempted section making, and his result isn't half bad, regardless of how flawed the concept may be.
The result is fairly poor all around. I actually don't mind visible bridges if they're done well, in spite of the fact they make no logical sense. This isn't done well, for numerous reasons (bland, lacking in interesting details, plain shape, right angles, straight unbroken lines, the blue making it difficult to recolour, etc)

Of course, this is EyeBurn we're talking about, so I suppose it's amazing that this thing isn't staggeringly ugly.

And one final point: It doesn't matter whose side you're on. I'm the mod, thus I am right. :P
Quality Control Enforcer