New ship bridges

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Anna wrote: I don't see any due respect there. Perhaps you should try harder.
The statement was inherently disrespectful, thus the "with all due respect" prefix. In my experience, said prefix generally implies that the person has a strong opinion, but does not wish for it to be construed as disrespectful.
I called him stupid because he said a stupid thing (the first post I quoted, fuckwit)
Point understood. The blanket statement on his part was inaccurate. He then revised his statement, and you called him stupid a second time (by relating him to his much more accurate "general conception").
And you don't get to decide what's becoming of a mod.
Again, with all due respect, someone has to. It is my understanding that your task is to uphold the rules (put most simply). Granted, I don't believe there's a firm rule regarding acting like a dick, such behavior is distasteful when coming from a public official. If I put a statue in my front yard, and a police officer drove by in his cruiser, shouting out the window, "Hey fucker, that statue is almost as gay as you are!" I'd probably file a complaint.
The result is fairly poor all around. I actually don't mind visible bridges if they're done well, in spite of the fact they make no logical sense. This isn't done well, for numerous reasons (bland, lacking in interesting details, plain shape, right angles, straight unbroken lines, the blue making it difficult to recolour, etc)
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I don't think it's great, but I don't think it's bad either. I don't plan on using it, but I could see it looking good on smaller ships: perhaps fighters.
And one final point: It doesn't matter whose side you're on. I'm the mod, thus I am right. :P
Yep, this is true. I'm just requesting that you come down off the offensive a bit. I respect you for your ability to keep this place running smoothly, and I've no doubt that your occasional explosions keep people in check. Even so, you don't have to be so hard on people who haven't done anything wrong.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Nice to know who siber's new rules apply to....

The objections are valid, but its a mute point. There is plenty of evidence that visible bridges are used in many science fiction ships, not to mention every real world space design so far, which is what I took iburn's first statement to mean. Doesn't have to be practical since no real world space warships have even been designed.

As for the sprite iburn, take your own advice and put windows on it. Also Anna is right, a more domed or 3d look would be nice since if it is sticking out of the ship, its probably to be able to see. Also, to satisfy the bunker junkies, perhaps some sort of sensor dish would be appropriate since the people on the bridge have to be able to see somehow if theres no windows.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

jwa8402 wrote:Nice to know who siber's new rules apply to....
Not who. Where. This isn't Custom Ships, after all.
jwa8402 wrote:As for the sprite iburn, take your own advice and put windows on it. Also Anna is right, a more domed or 3d look would be nice since if it is sticking out of the ship, its probably to be able to see. Also, to satisfy the bunker junkies, perhaps some sort of sensor dish would be appropriate since the people on the bridge have to be able to see somehow if theres no windows.
I thought the big blue panels -were- windows? I'd suggest adding something that looks like a connector for a seperate sensor dish section. It's more fun when they rotate, after all.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

now, I thank for all of the tips.

Firestorm, those will come in handy.

Arcalane, will do.

As for the windows, I think I'll make the bridges Gigantic for the dateail and show some internal consles in the windows if that will help. They will have to be shrinked, but that is a small price to pay for the detail.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

IBurn36360 wrote:now, I thank for all of the tips.

Firestorm, those will come in handy.

Arcalane, will do.

As for the windows, I think I'll make the bridges Gigantic for the dateail and show some internal consles in the windows if that will help. They will have to be shrinked, but that is a small price to pay for the detail.
That strikes me as a bad idea. Heavily shrunk sections do not work well on ships, unless everything else is shrunk down to scale. More over, I think SMALLER bridge sprites with specific details would work much better. Ultimately, it's up to you, though.

jwa: If you have a problem with the way I do my job, just say so and I'll be happy to tell you to fuck off. :D
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

I have a plan to counteract that, IF I am able to make the thickness of every line enough, It'll appear to be the same as if it weren't and we still get the detail in the windows.
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

IBurn36360 wrote:I have a plan to counteract that, IF I am able to make the thickness of every line enough, It'll appear to be the same as if it weren't and we still get the detail in the windows.
That could work. I guess we'll see.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I don't Anna, and I've tried really hard to show that by not backseat modding anymore. I simply don't see the difference between posting custom ships and custom sprites, and assumed the sentiments of siber's post applied to posted creations and criticisms in general. Fine that they don't if thats the case. Derail ended.

Iburn, don't go super detailed, I think I just had a different mental image of it thats all. I look forward to the refined version.
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

jwa8402 wrote: Iburn, don't go super detailed, I think I just had a different mental image of it thats all. I look forward to the refined version.
I don't intend to detail anything except what is in the windows and a few light effects.
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Hmm... Insted of making whole bridges, which could be hard to keep in scale with soem ships, maybe make only window-like sections, to mix up with regular ones?
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]
Venator
Captain
Captain

Post by Venator »

You know, on the topic of all or most ships having exposed, vulnerable bridges...

Really not seeing it here.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2921][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/AESig.png[/img][/url]
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

Galactica is one of the few that don't have an obviously exposed bridge, in truth, the bridge is placed close towrard the top level, front of the ship, close enough to be a target if it were found out.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Not to mention the original BSG was obviously exposed and damaged several times. Happens when you don't have sufficient sensor technology to see whats going on without a big window at the front of the bridge... WSKRS are the answer I say...
Malahite
Captain
Captain

Post by Malahite »

Bah. Almost every Star Wars ship has an exposed bridge.
[b][color=red]Comrade Malahite
Red Star Navy senior designer[/color][/b]
[i]"True beauty lies in the eye of the viewer"[/i]
[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8817/signeh5.jpg[/img]
[i]"For all we ought to have thought, and have not thought; all we ought to have said, and have not said; all we ought to have done, and have not done"[/i]