LG's Wrecked sections

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Singularity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Singularity »

I'm guessing they create the oxygen when they react, due to the atoms being given off.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

lightstriker wrote:Lithium and Flourine make fire.
Without oxygen.
Just saying :)
Singularity wrote:I'm guessing they create the oxygen when they react, due to the atoms being given off.
...Lithium is an element
Flourine is an element.
They react as follows: 2 Li + F2 ---> 2 LiF
There is no oxygen.

with that said, we should probably get back on topic now... thank you, and sorry.
Last edited by lightstriker on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Singularity wrote:I'm guessing they create the oxygen when they react, due to the atoms being given off.
[20:55] <LSleep> ...epic fail ---> http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... c&start=14
[20:55] <LSleep> just... no...
[20:56] <AidanAdv> He apparently ignored the fact that those are elements, not compounds
[20:57] <LSleep> yup...
[20:57] <LSleep> I don't even WANT to know where he thought the oxygen came from ~.~
EDIT: THE NINJAS WERE EVERYWHERE MAN!
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

LordGarcia wrote:Back then when I made these I simply thought about making some damage here, some holes there. I didn't really think about what hit it and that might be the cause for these all looking different.
I never said anything about making damaged sections for certain damage types. I was just pointing out the fact that you've only made one sprite for each section, which would be problematic for a ship like the Hestia, which uses the same section four times (I mean, it would look a little weird if the ship had the same rips and tears across its body).
Kyranzor wrote:i reckon someone should make a doodad with repeating flames/sparks/smoke that you can pin to the destroyed sections, to be gas emissions and electrical fires or whatever that might originate from the damaged areas..
I have been playing around with that idea myself for a while now, but have never put anything down on paper yet. I might experiment with making one or two tonight. I'll post the results along with a few more sprites if I'm able.

Oh, and for the record, I believe there are reactions that can burn without the presence of oxygen (and anyways, wouldn't oxygen leak out of life support systems and the like?)
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

the mulletron wrote:Oh, and for the record, I believe there are reactions that can burn without the presence of oxygen (and anyways, wouldn't oxygen leak out of life support systems and the like?)
technically, although the presence of a flame gives the apearence of fire, "burning" and "combustion" are considered a form of combining with oxygen. rusting is a simmilar reaction dragged out over a longer time period. anything else that produces a flame, including lithium and florine, is not really burning, it gives the ilusion of burning, and triggers combustion reactions to start.

so sure, it produces a flame, but is it burning? no.

and just for the record, hydrocarbons burn the best.
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

flabort wrote:technically, although the presence of a flame gives the apearence of fire, "burning" and "combustion" are considered a form of combining with oxygen. rusting is a simmilar reaction dragged out over a longer time period. anything else that produces a flame, including lithium and florine, is not really burning, it gives the ilusion of burning, and triggers combustion reactions to start.

so sure, it produces a flame, but is it burning? no.
Yes, but this is all just a technicality. Sure, within academic circles, burning is a process which explicitly involves oxygen, but to the layman, the word "burning" is an umbrella term applied to any reaction that produces a flame. I was simply using the word in the latter context.

But all this is a moot point. The original debate was about can fires (or at least something to similar effect) exist in space, and AFAIK, the answer is yes.

EDIT: I've just had a quick look at Wikipedia on the subject of combustion. You're wrong, flabort. The process is is defined as...
Wikipedia wrote:...a complex sequence of exothermic chemical reactions between a fuel (usually a hydrocarbon) and an oxidant accompanied by the production of heat or both heat and light in the form of either a glow or flames, appearance of light flickering.
Wikipedia gives both oxygen and fluorine as examples of oxidants. See for yourself if you don't believe me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion
Last edited by the mulletron on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

the mulletron wrote:...the answer is yes.
Assuming the fuel contains the necessary oxygen, one would assume so - similar to how phosphorus burns underwater.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Singularity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Singularity »

He apparently ignored the fact that those are elements, not compounds
That's why I said I guessed. I don't know how Lithium and Fluorine react.
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

Okay already, enough with the Lithium and Fluorine!
I'm sure the poor guy feels bad enough by now.
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

the mulletron wrote:
Wikipedia gives both oxygen and fluorine as examples of oxidants.
Ok, didn't know that. i thought it was the flourate and flourite ions (which contian oxygen) attached to metals that made flourine an atractive atom to have in a burning chemical. turns out, yes, i was wrong. interesting that elemental flourine can be used to burn stuff in a way defined not just by the layman.

hmm... since iron rust is iron (II) oxide and iron (III) oxide, i wonder what would happen with a flourine replacement, so iron (II) flouride and iron (III) flouride... i though it worked as putting a stable bright red flame when those combined with oxygen, but now that i see...

i'm babbling again. sorry. i'll stop now. really. i'm sorry.[/babble]
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
Ninteen45
Commander
Commander

Post by Ninteen45 »

Nicesprites, will you redo them for more variation?
the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by the mulletron »

I'm back with new sprites! Thought I would post these up now, since they've been sitting on my hard drive for over a week now. Anyways, here they are...

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

So, what do you think?
LordGarcia
Captain
Captain

Post by LordGarcia »

those are nice but i think that you overdid the damage on some of them. for example on section 17.
Himura.Kenshin said: What kind of pure, absolute [i]retard[/i] would run a bomb by Windows?
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

OK. So they're not damaged, they're wrecked. I can live with that.
Very useful indeed.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

yay! Biggest problem with the damagable stock ships i made with your sprites is that the stock designs have alot of repetition. Now I can modify them so they will be damaged differently. Good job!