SPRITE NAME RULES

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kaelis

SPRITE NAME RULES

Post by Kaelis »

All sprites are to be named with the following scheme:

For sections
Three or four letters from the name of the author plus underscore plus section pack name or 'sec' plus 0-based number.

Example: Kae_sec05.png or Kae_alien23.png

For weapons
Three or four letters from the name of the author plus underscore plus Wep plus weapon name (can be or include a number)

Example: Kae_Wep06.png or Kae_WepFlayer.png

For bullet sprites
Three or four letters from the name of the author plus underscore plus 'Bul' plus bullet or weapon name (can be or include a number)

Example: Kae_Bul07 or Kae_BulFlayer.png

For doodad sprites
Three or four letters from the name of the author plus underscore plus 'Doo' plus doodad name (can be or include a number)

Example: Kae_Doo08 or Kae_DooBoom.png

Sprites that do not follow this scheme will be deleted.

If you intend to make a 'pack' of sprites, make a separate directory and notify the users in what directory they should be. Making one directory named after your nick for all your sprites is also a good option.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

People seem determined to make downloading sprite packs difficult. They aren't bothering to stick to the original name of the folder provided by the sprite maker. In order to run a variety of builder's ships(several of them vets from the BP), I've had to download many duplicates. An example:
Kae(includes steampunk folder)
kae_steam
kae_steampunk
kae_sp
Those are literally folders I've gotten in downloads. I've got four folders for Danny's and several other builder's stuff as well. Not blaming the original designers at all but when people download the folder they change the name for some reason. Sure, I can fix the ship file links but that takes time. I've messaged some people about it but they never change them so I'm appealing here that people should take the time, effort, and pride in their work to put together a proper download.

If this is the wrong place for this or should be rephrased, of course feel free to delete.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Sadly, that scenario you describe is exactly what these rules were created to prevent. :roll:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

One small request.

As my screen name is "Silver Swordsman", can I simply use "SS" instead? I'm asking because this is only two letters; I understand and will follow the other guidelines without question. I'm just wondering what three or four letter initial could illustrate my name other than Sil, Svr, Sis... :(
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

SS is fine.
ArcticDragonX
Ensign
Ensign

Re: SPRITE NAME RULES

Post by ArcticDragonX »

Just a quick question, my computer, due to recent updates lakes to add a _ between numbers and letters/ words, would something like Arc_component_01 be alright or should I go in and manually try to remove the last line?
Do you know what suck the heads means?
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Re: SPRITE NAME RULES

Post by AidanAdv »

ArcticDragonX wrote:Just a quick question, my computer, due to recent updates lakes to add a _ between numbers and letters/ words, would something like Arc_component_01 be alright or should I go in and manually try to remove the last line?
If you plan on distributing your ships or like to use ships made by others, you will save yourself lots of hassle by making sure the sprites you use are named correctly. So yes, renaming the sprites is probably the right thing to do.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.