Kaelis' Section Factory

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

BoVinE wrote:
Kaelis wrote:Pipes, rivets, smokestacks - okay, but hard angles? Every non-curvy sections has hard angles...
True enough, I just meant that aside from tube sections there probably wouldn't be any curves.
Obviously you've never visited The Steampunk Workshop. Curves are all the rage these days.

And "steampunk" is not "give it a bunch of steam-venting tubes, some gears, and bell."
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Well, aparts from pipes, rivets and smokestacks, i have no idea what to put on steampunk sections, so thats just not enough.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Steampunk. Hmm, well, I don't know much of anything about it myself, but this is what I gather from a few minutes of looking around...

Pipes, Rivits, Smokestacks, Nuts and Bolts, Gears, Springs, Sprockets, Engines(non-Futuristic) and pistons, Plated together sections (as if made of sheets of metal, welded together), Curvy Elegant sections...
Wikipedia on Steampunk wrote:Steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or with a presumption of functionality.
-------------------------------------------

Aside from all that, I say you should try your hand at animated sections? or perhaps Doodads, Bullets, or weapons?
molemian
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by molemian »

when i think of steampunk i always think of big bulky armored mechas with huge boilers on their backs, and cogwheels, huge cogwheels that rotates all the time, made of wood, made of steel, made of both.....
anything with a steam-engine and cogwheels is steampunk for me.....
As-Sym corporation: "we create stuff you don't need just for the need of something useless."
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

molemian wrote:anything with a steam-engine and cogwheels is steampunk for me.....
My point is, slapping cogwheels and a steam vent to it doesn't make it steampunk. You have to do your research and make it Victorian.

Also, brass. The cheap metal of the era was brass. It looked like gold, was cheap, and decently sturdy. Steel was still in its modern infancy, so wrought and cast iron were more common, as well as far easier to produce.
Aaganrmu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Aaganrmu »

I's really hard to to show brass in black/white sprites. A lot of the steampunkishness of an object depends on the material: wood, brass, leather and, when you're into those newfangled things, bakelite.

Cogs/steam vents, however, are a lot easier.

And back on topic: I really love the Necron glyphs! And it set me thinking... I'd like to see a sprite alphabet. With a nice naval font, so it looks like it's stenciled on.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Aaganrmu wrote:And it set me thinking... I'd like to see a sprite alphabet. With a nice naval font, so it looks like it's stenciled on.
Err... make it yourself, then. Theres plenty of pixel fonts out there.
Aaganrmu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Aaganrmu »

Probably going to do it myself. Just wanted to know if someone (you?) already started one, but I guess not. I was just getting a bit carried away by the "wish for something you'd like" trend that was getting on here.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Draco18s wrote:
BoVinE wrote:
Kaelis wrote:Pipes, rivets, smokestacks - okay, but hard angles? Every non-curvy sections has hard angles...
True enough, I just meant that aside from tube sections there probably wouldn't be any curves.
Obviously you've never visited The Steampunk Workshop. Curves are all the rage these days.

And "steampunk" is not "give it a bunch of steam-venting tubes, some gears, and bell."
Yes but they certainly have exposed vents and gears, don't they?
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Kaelis wrote:'SPLINTER' SECTION PACK
For all your curvy-spiky needs.

*snippety*
Hell yeah. Full THV fleet, here I come.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Draco18s
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Draco18s »

BoVinE wrote:Yes but they certainly have exposed vents and gears, don't they?
True. They do. It just that people go "I'm going to steampunk this" and just add some useless brass cogwheels.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

So i gathered some steampunk references and...

...failed miserably.

Ill try a few more, but it looks like i just don't have the skill to convey steampunk to BSF style.
Perturabo
Commander
Commander

Post by Perturabo »

I like it! They should be good for details and such.
When in deadly danger, When beset by doubt, Run in little circles, Wave your arms and shout
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

Those are quite good actually, especially the section under the grill and the section to its right. With some modification, they could be used as gun barrels.
Kanosint
Commander
Commander

Post by Kanosint »

I love 'em, actually. Very kewl.