Kaelis' Section Factory

Share your custom sprites. Go on, show us how good you are with pixels. I dare you.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Are you kidding me? Those rock, please release them. :D
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Huh. Well, more the reason to keep trying.

Ill release them once im done making them. I still have a few ideas.

If you guys got any requests or thoughts, feel free to post them.
bien4500 wrote:Those are quite good actually, especially the section under the grill and the section to its right. With some modification, they could be used as gun barrels.
Theyre meant to be parts of a piston, not gun barrels :|
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Nice cogs. Here's a few ideas:

- A classic "donkey kong" style girder
- Maybe a simple rectangular radiator section
- A few regular, useful filler sections that are bolted together
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

A few more variations on the cogs, for example, one like that one at the end of the second row but with a much smaller hole and a few more rings for detail.
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

You can just put one of the other circle sections in there for that...

And cogs are hard to make.
Aaganrmu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Aaganrmu »

Wow, it is actually possible to make sprites like that. Never expected that kind of style to be possible in BSF. Good work! Love the lightbulb, and the 'robot arm' thing.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Maybe less requests for custom sprites you can make yourself would give Kaelis more time for things like bug fixes and new features. Just throwin that out there.

As for the sections, I like them all, even though I have little to no intention of learning how to use custom sprites. Part of the charm of BSF lies in thinking, "Now I want it to look like this, how can I make that happen?"
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Slayer0019 wrote:Maybe less requests for custom sprites you can make yourself would give Kaelis more time for things like bug fixes and new features. Just throwin that out there.
Im making them because i want to, not because people tell me to.
Slayer0019 wrote:As for the sections, I like them all, even though I have little to no intention of learning how to use custom sprites.
That kind of approach won't take you very far. Theres only so much you can do with the default 26 sections*, and its a horse thats been already beaten to a bloody pulp.

*im assuming thats what you mean, because if you use any other sections included with the distribution, then you ARE using custom sprites
Slayer0019 wrote:Part of the charm of BSF lies in thinking, "Now I want it to look like this, how can I make that happen?"
That would be true if one was to draw his ship pixel-by-pixel, then chop it into sections. But if you're trying to build something out of sections that are not specifically made just for that ship, its still a matter of creating something meaningful out of a set of parts. The fact that theres more parts to build from doesn't change that.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Kaelis wrote:You can just put one of the other circle sections in there for that...

And cogs are hard to make.
Yeah, I guess you're right.

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

I see my error, I regard the 'standard' sections as anything that appears in the 1, 2, 3, and 4 panels when I hit z.
What I meant by that last line is something I think slightly different than you worded it. I build ships in a way that may be slightly unusual, but it works for me and I like the way the ships turn out.
Think tangrams. Those little wooden shapes your math teacher made you play with in elementary school. To me, every section is a different shaped tangram, and part of the challenge of making ships is fitting them together in a way that achieves my target shape and looks good into the bargain.

And as for making sections because you want to, great. Carry on then, who am I to tell you how to spend your time. It would just be a bit of a waste if there were improvements that could or should be made and time was being spent elsewhere.
Got Steam?

Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Slayer0019 wrote:It would just be a bit of a waste if there were improvements that could or should be made and time was being spent elsewhere.
Are you saying that every minute i don't spend on making 'improvements that could or should be made' is a waste...? Because thats what it looks like.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

What I'm saying is if something were to show up that proved to be in need of attention, and it was delayed by attention being focused elsewhere, it would be somewhat detrimental to the overall efficiency of BSF.
Got Steam?

lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

This game is a project made by a small group of coders, working for no money (or at least extremely little, if th15 somehow makes ad money off of this) during their free time. This is something that we should be ECSTATIC to have, and the fact that it has become as large and many featured as it has is something to be... well, ecstatic... about. If Kaelis wants to make sections in his FREE TIME, well then, let him. You did not pay him a cent to do this work, and yet you're whining about the fact that he is doing something besides bug fixing. Regardless of whether he is bug fixing, or whether he is doing something he WANTS to do, he is STILL helping the community either way.
So please, PLEASE, shut up. It's none of your business what Kaelis is doing with his time, and most people are happy to get his sections. If you don't want them, more power to ya. But don't bitch about what he could be doing, as so far all you've done for this community is make retarded comments, and be a general asshole.
Last edited by lightstriker on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Slayer's not complaining, lightstriker. We all realize how much work that Kaelis and Th15 and everyone else puts into this, and we're all very grateful, and I'd say that many of us are quite ecstatic to have this game. I know I am. Slayer is merely stating his opinion that if there are bugs that need to be fixed, that they should take priority over making new sections. He's not saying that Kaelis needs to do one or the other. He said that himself. As for your personal problems with Slayer, leave them out of this thread. I personally think that Slayer has some very helpful things to offer. Anyway, please don't let this thread degenerate like so many others into a shouting match that never returns to its original topic and eventually gets locked and results in yet more bad blood between members.

And LS, please know that I haven't the slightest bit of dislike for you either.

Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

lightstriker, despite my inherent respect for anyone with a higher post count than me, you strain me to maintain my composure. You may find that your interpretations of my posts will change when you actually begin to read what I say.

Hypothetical Wisdom, thank you for taking the time to pay attention.

Kaelis, all I'm trying to say is that despite the inherent skill involved in the creation of these sections, if time may be better spent elsewhere, all I ask is that time be applied in the most efficient way possible.
Got Steam?