BSOD Shipyards 2.0

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Re: BSOD Shipyards 2.0

Post by -Desert- »

Usually aegis turns out weird, but you've really made it look like more than just shielding. Fake aegis effect (ED2 tab) will do for the bluinsh glows :3
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

On those glows, you may want to tone down the alpha to 0.3 or 0.2 (play around and see what looks best) and set the scatter to 1.
The result with the way you're using will look like this
naysayers will be shot
BSOD_2.0
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by BSOD_2.0 »

Doogie12 wrote:On those glows, you may want to tone down the alpha to 0.3 or 0.2 (play around and see what looks best) and set the scatter to 1.
The result with the way you're using will look like this
I tried playing around with that recentley,using this ship as an example.

Original:
SMscreen030.png

Edited version:
SMscreen031.png
SMscreen031.png (12.91 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
It looked nice,but it made it looks sorta like glowing glass rather than a glowing highly resistant material,ill probably change the alpha on the others too,but only if it looks good on the ones that have more of them.
Also.I re-applied to DGW recently.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

The Heracolon is broken and has probably misplaced sprites. Include. Sprites. Seriously. DGW ship downloads need to have sprites included.

Also, you may want to use Horsemonster's bolt sprite variations as opposed to the pulse sprite variations for laser, as that's what people usually use and are more or less the standard laser sprites.

Oh, and you may want to list weapons after your ship descriptions.

With that out of the way, I'll get to the aesthetic feedback. I'll be honest - I think those ships are not very good.

The first major problem are the weapons. Most of them don't seem like parts of your ships, but like they were glued onto them or something along those lines. Try to incorporate the weapons into your ships design, don't just throw them on top. You may even want to build the ship with weapons in mind as opposed to making a ship and thinking where you could put the weapons.

The second problem is lightness and depths. Light and dark sections are all over the place without any feeling of depth. It feels almost like you just picked the brightness for sections at random. The Compelatous suffers from this the least and it isn't too much of a problem on the Carolous, but the rest have this problem.

Also, some sections are considerably too dark, making them blend into the background.

The Celestalion suffers from horrendous weapon clog, and it is way to dark.

The Celementisonop is all around bad and I'd scrap it if I were you.

Well, those are probably the biggest problems although I could probably find more smaller ones.

As for making a faction - the only distinguishing feature your ships have are the glowy bits. No colours or such. Therefore, you should probably add glowy bits to all the ship.

Also, most factions, along with a standard colour scheme, doodad and weapons style and such also have a standard shape. The shape of your ships varies a lot. Your ships don't stand out too much from other colourless, non-standardised ships such as Ristyo's or Turtwig's. Not too good if you want your own faction identity.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln