Perhaps the strangest thing you've ever seen

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Perhaps the strangest thing you've ever seen

Post by -Desert- »

Hello and welcome to this new thread. I've been lurking for around 8 months and I've accuired a bit if an idea what is roght and what isn't.

I proudly present my first ship with SW sprites (as my stock ships are rubbish)
It's decently parented, at least.
It's decently parented, at least.
Swthingy.png (11.65 KiB) Viewed 9455 times
I've used the latest sprite repack, which thankfully places everything where it belongs (in contrary to some users)

Please, feel free to burn my ship down if you think you should :3
Attachments
Newsw.sb4
Updated.
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by -Desert- on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Perhaps the strangest thing you've ever seen

Post by calvin1211 »

Hello, and welcome to the forums! The ship itself is quite good for a first attempt. You've clearly got a grasp of shape and how the sections flow together, and the depthing's decent.
I'd generally advise hiding the core under other sections, since the core just looks terrible.
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

Alright... The core is a piece of crap, even with this new core sprite (BSF Repack)?

I'll correct that and edit this post with a new version in a few hours (perhaps also expand it)

Here it is, then. I've added some missiles, placed a larger cannon in the middle and some PD.
The missile racks are partially hidden. Does that look al right?
The missile racks are partially hidden. Does that look al right?
Swthingy_02.png (12.94 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
Attachments
Newsw.sb4
This is teh new one.
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

-Desert- wrote:Alright... The core is a piece of crap, even with this new core sprite (BSF Repack)?

I'll correct that and edit this post with a new version in a few hours (perhaps also expand it)

Here it is, then. I've added some missiles, placed a larger cannon in the middle and some PD.
Swthingy_02.png
The partially covered missile racks are fine.

The ones on the back, however, aren't.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

I figured they looked weird. They're supposed to be pointrockets, but I still have to find a better sprite for them...
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

-Desert- wrote:I figured they looked weird. They're supposed to be pointrockets, but I still have to find a better sprite for them...
Point rockets are broken in the fighterbay release, and that's what most people use.
-Abraham Lincoln
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I just noticed how one section on the side of the ship is darker than the other one. It's been glaring at me ever since.
naysayers will be shot
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Arrhh, why did you tell me that doog!?! Now I can see it too!

The sections covering the side mounted missile launchers.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

OH TEH HUGE MANATEE (No idea where I picked that up)

You've pointed a design flaw :3 Finally I can correct something that's really wrong! Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, what? Pointrockets broken in new release? Darn, I liked them as auxilary PD turrets.
Last edited by -Desert- on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

It's really not that significant, to be honest.
-Abraham Lincoln
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

Nevertheless I have corrected the shadefail, currently working on those pointrockets. Suddenly found that the HorseMonster wep pack has PD sprites. *facepalms himself*

Huzzah, It should work now. I womder what's wrong with those pointrockets. They work fine with me (I am running that newest repack, which also includes two MIRVs and two weird laserthingies)
The F9 function resulted in this.
The F9 function resulted in this.
SMscreen01.png (6.49 KiB) Viewed 9389 times
EDIT (Since my mind always runs approx. 5 second behind the data stream they get)

Whoa. There are posts from not one, but FOUR people, of which two seem to practically live here. Something must have gone right with this thing...
Attachments
Newsw.sb4
Corrected shading and replaced pointrockets with particle guns.
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

-Desert- wrote:Nevertheless I have corrected the shadefail, currently working on those pointrockets. Suddenly found that the HorseMonster wep pack has PD sprites. *facepalms himself*

Huzzah, It should work now. I womder what's wrong with those pointrockets. They work fine with me (I am running that newest repack, which also includes two MIRVs and two weird laserthingies)
SMscreen01.png
Does it include fighterbays? I suppose not, as the glitch does appear in that version.
-Abraham Lincoln
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

IIRC it did. *starts Shipmaker*

Oh teh noes my memorey failed me. It doesn't, but I did have that version piled into somewhere, must have chucked it out of the window. The fighterbay release (with of course those bays) has something called 'CriticalObject' in common with this version. What exactly does it do? Surely it acts as a way of making a ship go boom earlier, but how do you use it? It sounds interesting.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

When the section it is parented to is destroyed, it creates an explosion of size and damage that you set.
And you should use fighterbays, it is the newest, most stable version.
naysayers will be shot
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

First point: Great, sounds like I can use that somewhere.
Second point: Waaait, what? Is that the newest version? Better fetch that then despite that pointrocket bug. I don't need them right now anyhow.

Nevermind... My eyes failed me YET AGAIN. I've found it and will use it for my ships from now on. Any possible errors I might hit with ships from other meta2 versions?