Trying Out the Ship Building Scene

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Trying Out the Ship Building Scene

Post by 366storm »

Hello. My name is 366storm and I have made some ships. I know that my skills need work but I am trying hard so constructive criticism is appreciated. In fact any criticism is appreciated and welcomed! :D
Attachments
TypeAGunship2.sb4
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Screenie of TypeAGunship2. Armed with 3x modified pulse guns
Screenie of TypeAGunship2. Armed with 3x modified pulse guns
Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Re: Trying Out the Ship Building Scene

Post by Majicnanas »

One of the things almost every noobie does wrong is the way thay take screenshots.

Press your home key, set to preview mode, and then take a screenshot.
Add me on steam @majicnanas
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

Another ship Yay! Tried to use Fraxy sprites maybe a bit too much....

This time I pressed home and did preview mode.
Attachments
TypeBGunship.sb4
(7.36 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Type B Gunship
Type B Gunship
Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Post by Majicnanas »

I like it, it's really simple.

Although the visible front end of the core is a major turn off, I suggest moving on from there.
Add me on steam @majicnanas
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Not bad for a beginner. Reminds me of an inverted Proteus for some reason.
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

calvin1211 wrote:Not bad for a beginner. Reminds me of an inverted Proteus for some reason.
I knew that it reminded me of something.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Yes, it is indeed quite good for a beginner.

Just a minor thing: The part where the wing connects to the main hull seems quite fragile.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

Lukasmah wrote:Yes, it is indeed quite good for a beginner.

Just a minor thing: The part where the wing connects to the main hull seems quite fragile.
Its more of a sports car than a humvee.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I really like the second gunship! It has underlying parts with obvious armor that lines up; distinct engines, cockpit ect. and it is not only not a penis-brick, but actually an interesting shape. Thin connection points are generally a sign of higher tech level.

Only thing that stands out as any kind of issue to me is that piece on top of the cockpit. The shape fits for what you are trying to do, but maybe because of the shading or something, it seems kind of separate from the rest of the ship.

One thing that would be really interesting would be if you made the cockpit and engine pylons 'flex' independently of each other, so the contact points function like joints if that makes sense. That way the cockpit could rotate slightly to target other ships while the engines continue to propel it forward.

Keep it up!
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

jwa8402 wrote:I really like the second gunship! It has underlying parts with obvious armor that lines up; distinct engines, cockpit ect. and it is not only not a penis-brick, but actually an interesting shape. Thin connection points are generally a sign of higher tech level.

Only thing that stands out as any kind of issue to me is that piece on top of the cockpit. The shape fits for what you are trying to do, but maybe because of the shading or something, it seems kind of separate from the rest of the ship.

One thing that would be really interesting would be if you made the cockpit and engine pylons 'flex' independently of each other, so the contact points function like joints if that makes sense. That way the cockpit could rotate slightly to target other ships while the engines continue to propel it forward.

Keep it up!
I'll see what I can do about that piece on top of the cockpit, I can see now the distinction. I believe I know what you are talking about with the flexing, although I have no earthly idea how to use triggers, everyone needs to start somewhere right?

Thanks for the compliments, it means allot, especially since this is only the second ship that I have finished.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I do rather like it. One thing though, try not to leave so much space in the screenshot as well. That way it actually appears more visible to the human eye.
But other than that I really don't see anything wrong. I'm a firm believer that any shape can be done well enough to look good.
naysayers will be shot
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Welcome to the forums!

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, but your second really is good for a beginner. The glows look pretty good too. Try making more like this!
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

This is my biggest ship yet. Been working on it for 2 days.

I am displaying this now, unfinished for advice

This ship will be in my faction for DGW so I will not post it finished here, until after I submit it for applications thread.

Notes: I have not added highlights, fraxies, or weapons, and something about that rear calls out to me. The front is bland and needs more details.

Now please give me suggestions. Thank you for your time.
Attachments
Looks like a brick.
Looks like a brick.
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

You seem to already know what's wrong with it, it is a brick. The shape is almost impossible to work with. TBH, I would scrap it. I don't mean to come across as harsh but that is my opinion. Try another sleek one like last time, it's always best to start off small to get your eye in before taking on big projects.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Don't be dissing the bricks.
That being said, I do actually agree with him on this. Bricks are hard to pull off for newer shipbuilders. Your isn't actually that bad, and could benefit from a bit of improved section work and a nice color/doodad pass. Look at how the lines and shading on the individual sections line up, because as of now it looks like there's this awkward curve towards the center which ends abruptly. Also, those winglet things that stick out of the middle-back don't seem to blend well to the rest of the ship.
naysayers will be shot