Trying Out the Ship Building Scene

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Re: Trying Out the Ship Building Scene

Post by Zalausai »

Doogie12 wrote:Wait, really? That's how you do it?
This method is fairly new. I start from the inside and fill out a shape to get the contours that I want, then add internal details (and re-parent sections to flow properly in combat), followed by color, doodads, thrusters, then finally, weapons and modules (if any).
I seriously tested it with the EoD: Mourning, which turned out really good (and got good reviews), so I kept practicing this new method and don't build any other way anymore. I find the lack of freedom from the old methods too constricting and slow.

Doing the random section selection thing was really good practice to test section visual relationships. I recommend 366storm try it. That method can be found on age 26 of my thread. It does spur creative new ideas as well. If I hadn't done it, I would have never came up with most of the ideas for the EoD at all.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6959&start=375

366storm:
Try making a random 25 section ship. Color, doodad, and equip it as you please after the sections are laid out where you want them. Do not fret over any fine details or refinements. This exercise is not intended to create glorious ships, but interesting concepts for future ships. If you don't like this method, you don't have to do it again.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

I practice a bit of both your styles. I have an idea of what I want to build then I just go where the ship takes me. I have to force myself to build something large though, and lately I have been thinking about how it will look after all is said in done. First I get everything placed, then details go later. I am too late into the design phase to show the ship without major spoilers, so it may take some time. I am willing to go as slowly as needed to finish this thing properly though.
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

Update: Grounded until Dec 23. Able to get this message through from Nintendo 3ds. Not gone!
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

Hey guys! I can't make that last ship work for me (it's been so long that it doesn't inspire me anymore) so I would like to take you up on your offer to finish it up, Doogie.
I'll post a new series of ships in a bit. Sorry for taking so long!