The Workshop

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Re: CryoWare Heavy Yards

Post by -Desert- »

Methinks the glows are a bit too large.

The rest of the ship... I like it, somehow reminds me a little bit of a Hestia.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Ships similar to hestia are my favorite when i rush stuff.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

That generic shape always works for me (though those ships never make it here) but hey, it looks fine and its structure isn't a copy of the Hestia :3
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Workshop

Post by CryoSleep »

I've been staring at this for far to long and I don't know if there was anything wrong with this since I can't remove or add stuff to this one, also I tried what starstruck suggested for me
Tesla Rage
This one was inspired from enigmata stellar war and like it's name, those glows are filled with tesla from weaker voltage to higher (the one in the middle is the highest)
Creations
Coalition of Terra
366storm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 366storm »

I suggest using low alpha fraxies to cast some highlights. (And to lower the alpha on the fraxies you already have)
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Those aren't fraxies and by highlights, do you mean adding a glowball with 0.50 alpha beneath another glowball?
If yes then I already did that as you can see
Creations
Coalition of Terra
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

I think 'fraxies' is used as a synonym for 'glowballs' in here. The glowy stuff itself isn't really too big or too bright, but it has my eyes doing something weird when I stare at it for too long. Though it might be something that's wrong with me, you might want to do something interesting with some of the glowing :)
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Man, you didn't really listen to SS at all. The ship has potential I think (hard to tell) but like the last 5 or so ships you've posted, I can't see the bloody thing. I don't know if your monitor is set absurdly bright but you just keep pumping out these ships with really dark colours and a spam of brightass glow balls, it makes it pretty damn hard to see the ship, especially on a dark background. Also, as far as colour variation goes, I don't see any. Maybe I'm wrong, it's hard to tell with such dark colouring, but you seem to have all one colour + highlights made by sticking slightly glowy bits on top of things. When Starstruck said use more of the colour palette, he meant just that, not stick more glowy bits on.
Remember the basic rule of shading for ships; lighter in the centre, darker on the outsides to simulate it being highest at the top and lower further out. Pick shades of colours (also go with lighter colours please!) and place them intelligently so your ship looks more 3-D, I was never very good at this cause I didn't know how shading was supposed to work, now you know so there's no reason you shouldn't do it.
But yeah, shade effectively and put fewer glowballs and I think you'll be able to improve your actual shipbuilding.

This is more of a general rant than a specific criticism of your stuff, but I think this relatively recent heavy use (or overuse) of glows and doodads is, in a lot of ways, an unfortunate development. They can make a ship that was otherwise just so-so look pretty damn good, and a great ship with well done glows/doodads looks spectacular. But a lot of people seem to like using them as an excuse to be lazy with making the actual ship, figuring that with enough shiny bits it'll look amazing no matter what and to me that's a bit of a shame. When it looks like more effort was put into the doodads than the actual ship, it seems silly to me.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Like I said, I don't know if there is anything wrong with it but thank you for telling me where the problem really is also I did use shading also i didn't try what SS suggested with glows in mind, the glows are my mistake and that's where the problem with my shipbuilding also lies because I was kind of clueless that bathing the whole ship in light destroys the spotlight for the sections itself, I keep using the glows wrong, silly me. I might try light gray and brighter blue next time

You ninja'd me by the way

Any other problems with it? if not then I'll be fixing some mistakes there
Creations
Coalition of Terra
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Ah, well, he did shade it. I see three shades of hull blue, so not a bad start. Still, it's a dark ship and there's not a lot of contrast besides the glowballs, so you might rectify that.

An immediate solution that comes to mind is to tear out the more frivolously-positioned glowballs and replace them with circular turret mounts. In a lot of cases, the heavily-gunned look "just werks".
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

Quite true, though I can see why he used glows for teslas, since there isn't really any HD weapon sprite for those things. (yes, the HorseMonster pack has enough energy turrets, but it's a matter of taste to some)

Nevertheless that doesn't mean a ship can be too much glowball.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Ah sorry, you're right. I was on my work laptop which is apparently notably less bright or contrast-sensitive or whatever than I thought it was. So I take it back, there is shading, though more contrast would be nice cause it's still a bit hard to spot, especially at the darker end of the range.

Another plus, on this brighter screen the glowballs aren't such major eyesores, though I think toning all of them down a bit in terms of brightness and maybe cutting down the number of them would be good.

So I retract my criticisms to some degree, I was partly at fault there. Keep at it, you're going in the right direction here :)
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I say remove 2/3 of the glowballs, and replace them with a semicircular glowy line of sorts. I did something along those lines on this ship, near the core and towards the front, in case you needed reference.

Of course, once you've done that load those spots with sexy HM turrets.

The sectionwork on that ship is actually quite nice (as far as I can tell by looking past the glowballs).
naysayers will be shot
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Made a flat ship which was inspired from one of Deltaflyer's exploits
Not as good as him though
SMscreen0131.png
SMscreen0131.png (4.64 KiB) Viewed 41282 times
I was going to post up a download but sadly it broke from a mirroring error and can't pinpoint where the cause is and i don't know if doodads can cause such error
Creations
Coalition of Terra
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

Though Shipmaker is much more stable these days, it can still spazz when you try to import certain custom sprites, I wouldn't be suprised if doodads can cause mirror fuckup.