The Workshop

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: CryoWare Heavy Yards

Post by CryoSleep »

Figured i'd just post a new ship because no one seem to post some big ships

Synergy Phase Battleship
The entrance of the synergy made the lockjaw an obsolete design, it can relocate itself instantly to it's desired location and unleash a very powerful beam that can penetrate the hull in almost instant but the beam cannon requires another long charge before firing again, but it has it's own array of kinetic weaponry to defend itself while waiting for the beam to charge. The beam was derived from a super weapon that can destroy an entire planet in a matter of minutes with no survivors but the synergy's beam cannon is like the small version of it
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Ristyo
Captain
Captain

Post by Ristyo »

Ah, such coincidence, earlier I saw this thread to get inspiration on making big ships, and the thread has been a bit inactive lately..
Sadly my phone can't view images from whatever image hosting site you are using.
The Comerlian Family

Dammit, didn't realize Starsector is really hard.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Does anyone care to make some C&C here?
Creations
Coalition of Terra
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

The ship looks good.

There are some holes where the front wings connect to the main body. This may or may not be intentional.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Ristyo
Captain
Captain

Post by Ristyo »

It looks good, looks like a super heavy battleship/destroyer/juggernaught.
The Comerlian Family

CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Name:Karil Norman
SClass:Mark IV SDaS
Manufacturer:CryoWare Heavy Yards
Systems:
Advanced Holographic AI Assistant
Phantom Warp Drive
Nuclear Powerplants (incase of EMP attacks)
Mark X Aegis Shield System
Advanced Point Defence AI

Price:25,000,000 Credits

As much as i love techno-babble i won't be writing any because i'm tired and i want to take a hot bath for now.

C&C is appreciated please.
Creations
Coalition of Terra
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

C&C please? even if you have to insult it just give it some attention.
Creations
Coalition of Terra
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Super short answer:
-The depthing looks odd.
-The red stands out.
-The sectionwork is good.
-Glows look good but blend in a bit.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
DerpCactusDerp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DerpCactusDerp »

The red does look a little odd. Usually colour accents do well, but this one somehow doesn't.
Just wondering: About how much would one credit be worth? Enough to buy, say dinner in a decent restaurant?
Now working on those nice needle beamers. Beware!
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

/\ In a multi-stellar community I would expect that with such a wide range of commoditys, exchange rates would fluctuate a lot.

As for the ship, I agree that the reds are a little out of place. Changing their colour to something more neutral may help. The rest is cool.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

So what color should i replace the red with?
Creations
Coalition of Terra
Ristyo
Captain
Captain

Post by Ristyo »

IMO maybe you should replace the red with the same blue, but replace the old blue with a darker blue.
The Comerlian Family

Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Yellow. Make them yellow. That way, it matches the color of the internal pieces more and keeps to the dual color scheme you have. Making a triple color scheme requires a fair amount of fiddling with balances and glow colors. Tis gets tedious, but the results are spectacular.
naysayers will be shot
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I've got to say, CryoSleep, you have improved. Your ripoffs are less blatant these days. Less blatant, so really you could say it's more "imitation" rather than "ripping off", but still. Let's compare these posts.
CryoSleep wrote:
Name:Karil Norman
SClass:Mark IV SDaS
Manufacturer:CryoWare Heavy Yards
Systems:
Advanced Holographic AI Assistant
Phantom Warp Drive
Nuclear Powerplants (incase of EMP attacks)
Mark X Aegis Shield System
Advanced Point Defence AI

Price:25,000,000 Credits
The way you presented the ship is interesting. You have never presented a ship like that before, with the picture and some flavour-text centered in such a way that it seems like an advertisement for selling a ship. You even comment on how you can't be bothered coming up with techno-babble.

It sort of... reminds me... of something. Hm... I... wonder what I could be thinking of...?

Oh. This:
STARSTRUCK wrote:I'll work the bugs out of the bubbleshield build soon okay
this thread is for ships and stories that i build/write to avoid coding/studying/going outside
i will make some more but for now there is only one
please enjoy

Breaching subnet CLEARINGHOUSE...
OK, no trace :)
>rtrv 0x000F71A -a -merrychristmas
grabbing coolpix...

Christened: SNS CHROME KORAN
Class: MOIS/650i
Manufacture: Israeli Aerospace Systems (ca. 2198)
Mass: 1280 t dry, 1520 + reaction mass
Length: 221 m
Wideness: 198 m
(should you really be asking a lady's measurements)
Powerplant: Guangzhou Instruments Model 980
(rad shielding SLIGHTLY DAMAGE pls2inquire for cost of repair)
Propulse: 6x SS-90 "Barbatos" Electrostatic Ion Thruster
(noble gas pressure dial broken. set NG VENT 1 to position O, look out window and estimate height of plume)
Extras: Coin-op arcade w/ rare games
(Virtual On Ontario Tangram, Street Fighter II, Time Crisis 3, etc.)

Overall: Gently used, 8 yrs, immaculate condition, lots of aftermarket bits
$23,000,000 negotiable
contact CRAIG for details :)
Same general shape, same presentation, basically you're back into old habits, assuming you ever left them.

And the worst part is, while imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and what-not, yours really needs some work. You seem to understand the basics of what makes the things you're copying look good, but not the subtler things, and while you may be soaking up praise from people who don't know any better or are ignorant of the fact that you're incapable of coming out with original designs (and unwilling to give credit where it's due to the people who 'inspire' you), I do.

Let's look at these two ships. There's lots of similar details. The over-all outer shape is the same, though you changed the shape at the front. Engine placement is more or less the same, with the exception of some extras you slapped onto the side-pods. You even have decided to take sections and use them in the same way as STARSTRUCK, only you decided to use EVEN MORE OF THEM, and cover the outer pods, both front and back. You even imitated the colour scheme, only made it darker and somewhat more saturated.

But you failed in the details. STARSTRUCK's ship is masterful, with multiple shades of the same colours to indicate depth, varied doodads for flashing lights and windows and other details, teamstripes, etc. Yours has fewer shades than I have fingers on my hand, and no real doodading or detailing to speak of except for a bunch of glowy balls, all the same size, something you probably saw Netharis and perhaps Doogie using on their ships and also decided to poorly imitate. On Netharis' ships in particular, the glows come in varying sizes, with bright white centers and larger, additive-blended, low-alpha colours glows beneath that actually light up sections around them in an appealing way. Yours are just some glowy coloured dots of uniform size and shape spread evenly over the ship, in lieu of actual detailing. It's like you saw the most obvious things that other people do to make pretty ships, and copied them, but missed out on the subtle, yet important details. It's really sad.

Even the flavour text that you attempted to mimic was done poorly. You seemed to miss the whole point of STARSTRUCK's original version, which was a jokey, humorous and well-presented craigslist-style advertisement, and just half-heartedly wrote up some uninteresting details with goofy names for ship systems.

All in all, I am disappointed in you, and you should be disappointed in yourself. It is one thing to take inspiration from other peoples work. It's one thing to try and build upon an idea or try your own hand at it. But at least try to do it right, and if you're going to make it obvious enough that anyone with eyes can spot it, give credit to the person who you're imitating, for fuck's sake.

This is not the first time you've been caught doing this. Make it the last.

EDIT: p.s. even though you're set to invisible, I can see you're lurking. Being an Admin has perks. Anything to say for yourself?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

The first one has idiotic reasons and i apologize for that (even if it was a long ago since i was being a dick.... a real dick).
I just tried practicing since that is the way i learn sometimes although I DO know you'd still lecture me about imitating it but I'm someone who isn't afraid of consequences of my actions if it is neccessary for me to learn (I grew balls while you were absent) but i promise not to imitate ships without permission again (It's something i forget).
Also about the color, i didn't try to imitate it's color but i used this one instead
Shamrock's last ship before he left the forums i think.
Shamrock's last ship before he left the forums i think.
SMscreen04_zps6c4f8818.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 29597 times
I did left that habit a long time ago because it's kind of ridiculous but i thought i just try it one more time so that i could atleast learn some things about that ship. I did learn a thing or two about it :)
Actually about hiding, it became my habit of doing so and I do know that you can see me even when hiding, It's common sense since you're an admin.
Creations
Coalition of Terra