Shiny Ship, C&C Welcome!

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

S'Kesh
Ensign
Ensign

Shiny Ship, C&C Welcome!

Post by S'Kesh »

I made a few Shiny ships in the last couple of days, and the last one I made was the only one I felt was good enough to post here, what do you guys think?
I would like to hear some tips and explanations too, if you guys can spare it, on the Glows, Exhausts and Depthed Weapons departments. I think this ship would be alot better with some glows and stuff.

Also, English is not my first language, so expect various grammatical mistakes.

Older Version:
Spoiler!
Well, I spent most of my evening yesterday redesigning the ship, placing glows and stuff, and I think I got sweet spot here:

Zalausai wrote:Your could also use the fraxy112 glow ball. Set the blending mode to additive and use a color similar to your ship. It is used to create the appearance of polished metal.
Thanks for the tip. That one was actually quite good to know, since I've been looking forever on how to do that. Also the Engine Glow on the back of the ship was only possible because of your tutorials, thanks!
Majicnanas wrote:Instead of fraxy's glowball, I usually use the DDC_Flares or Flare doodads pack. Try those. :D
BlueScreenOfDeath123 wrote:I like flares,i used them on my WFTU app ship,im glad im not the only who likes em.
Yeah, I tried using the flares but they got a little weird (Probably because of the color I was using for the engine flare) I'll try them later on another ship. Thanks.
Last edited by S'Kesh on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Shiny Ship, C&C Welcome!

Post by Doogie12 »

The sections are a bit jumbled at the rear. Also, you should set the alpha on the blue stripes to .3
As for glows, just play around with the fake aegis feature under the effects tab.
naysayers will be shot
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Your could also use the fraxy112 glow ball. Set the blending mode to additive and use a color similar to your ship. It is used to create the appearance of polished metal.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Post by Majicnanas »

Instead of fraxy's glowball, I usually use the DDC_Flares or Flare doodads pack. Try those. :D
Add me on steam @majicnanas
BlueScreenOfDeath123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by BlueScreenOfDeath123 »

I like flares,i used them on my WFTU app ship,im glad im not the only who likes em.
If i see something that looks good,i will most likley attempt on making something like it.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

As far as newbie shiny ships go, this is actually quite good.
S'Kesh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by S'Kesh »

I just updated the ship on the first post, tell me if I improved it.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Mother of God, yes. That is a massive improvement. It's clean and good looking. There's a few things here and there that I'd do differently, but ultimately I see no flaws.
I urge you to make more, as I see that you have vast potential.
To also get a feel for what the standards are and such, you could try poking around and looking at ships made by calvin, Starstruck, Anna, and myself (this list is by no means all-inclusive). Pretty much just look for a colored name.
naysayers will be shot
S'Kesh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by S'Kesh »

Doogie12 wrote:Mother of God, yes. That is a massive improvement. It's clean and good looking. There's a few things here and there that I'd do differently, but ultimately I see no flaws.
I urge you to make more, as I see that you have vast potential.
Wow, thanks! I never expected it to look that good, I'm actually kinda proud of it. You will definately see more, probably not very often but you will.
Doogie12 wrote:To also get a feel for what the standards are and such, you could try poking around and looking at ships made by calvin, Starstruck, Anna, and myself (this list is by no means all-inclusive). Pretty much just look for a colored name.
I know, that's what I did. I downloaded Anna's Ordanian Battle Fleet, and the Cumulonimbus from the Beauty Pageant, then I picked them apart and studied everything, you can probably see the similarities.
S'Kesh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by S'Kesh »

I made another one, I feel this one is pretty much on par with my first one, if maybe a little inferior. I came up with a name for the ships: The first I call the 'Sansa', and this one the 'Venus'.

So, how does it look?
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

It looks acceptable.
One glaring flaw though. The window doodad in the front didn't mirror properly.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Well it's not that glaring, I had to strain my eyes to see what you were talking about.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

It's main problem is the shape and depthing. Right now it kinda feels like an Escher painting.
naysayers will be shot
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Doogie12 wrote:It's main problem is the shape and depthing. Right now it kinda feels like an Escher painting.
Escher's paintings are awesome, your argument is invalid. :P
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Post by Majicnanas »

Looks acceptable, but the center sprites could use some color. :P
Add me on steam @majicnanas