Destiny's workshop

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Destiny's Player
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Destiny's workshop

Post by Destiny's Player »

Well, for the first post. Hello everyone! I've just downloaded BF, and immediatly went to the BFSM. And, well... This blocky thingie is my first ship. It's hard switching from pixel arting to sprite kitting. But well, here it is. I still have no idea how to switch the core's sprite to something looking more... 3D, so I decided to make it from the vanilla parts, and a single flare.
STARSTRUCK

Re: Destiny's workshop

Post by STARSTRUCK »

In case it wasn't obvious, most people here opt to simply build over the core sprite and pretend it doesn't exist.
Destiny's Player
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Well, I'd prefer to leave the core at least a little bit exposed, so it'll be possible for the ship to be destroyed. And I've seen people using different sprites for the core.
robots rock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by robots rock »

Destiny's Player wrote:Well, I'd prefer to leave the core at least a little bit exposed, so it'll be possible for the ship to be destroyed. And I've seen people using different sprites for the core.
The sections (sprites) can be destroyed, so you don't need to worry about that - weapon fire = damage, damage = no more sections

You can use different sprites, but there are really only a few. Right click on the core and there will be a drop-down menu, click change core sprite or something, and there are your options.

you seem to have flares, I don't think those are in the normal sprite packs, so I'll assume you have builder's repack or something...

and finally, --> This <-- is the latest stable release (Fighterbay)
If you run into problems opening other people's ships, this should fix nearly all of them.
Creator and Ruler of PACIV
Holy Elephant Poo! It works on my school internet!

Latooni: "I like to imagine every australian snipes for a living"

Keep your head down. I can see you from here.........
Destiny's Player
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Thanks, when i downloaded it, it fixed most my problems, including the flat Core sprite, but excluding my lack of practice. I've downloaded Shining and DS Flares with the game, so that's why I have flares and stuff.
Also here's another ship, this time - with shiny parts. Pretty much as generic as it can get, but still.
:LATER:
Here's another one, not as generic, but from what I see, not really better. Still, it was fun messing with the triggers.
Spoiler!
ImageImage
Kabuto.sb4
This ship
(16.11 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
For some reason, it doesn't want to spawn in Sandbox when I try it from the editor, instead spawning a ton of errors, while when I spawn it when I launch the game manually, it spawns perfectly. Can somebody explain why?
Happycake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Happycake »

Hello, Destiny.

Both of the ships you've made look pretty decent, though I would recommend using custom sprites for your weapons. There is a huge contrast in the detail level and shading between shiny and stock section; the two types rarely fit together well. I would recommend using Horsemonster's weapon packs.

You also may want to lower the saturation levels of the yellow sections a bit. The contrast between the two colors you're currently using (Yellow+Dark Grey) seem to be a bit too much.

The layering of the two connectors (I don't know they're actually called) you're using also seem strange. Usually, connectors and similar structures are placed at the very bottom of a construct. (I'm talking about the ones located at (11,3), and (11, -3), assuming that the origin is located at the tip of the central thruster sprite)
Look At Me Still Talking When There's Science To Do...
robots rock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by robots rock »

Destiny's Player wrote:Here's another one, not as generic, but from what I see, not really better.

Looks kinda better

Destiny's Player wrote:Still, it was fun messing with the triggers. For some reason, it doesn't want to spawn in Sandbox when I try it from the editor, instead spawning a ton of errors, while when I spawn it when I launch the game manually, it spawns perfectly. Can somebody explain why?
When you launch to sandbox it launches the normal game, this will give you tons of error messages.

When you launch it manually you use the fighterbay version, and it loads fine.

My solution = Keep the game open while shipmaker is open, when I finish a ship I tab to the game, start sandbox and load it in. Much faster than starting the game again each time.
Creator and Ruler of PACIV
Holy Elephant Poo! It works on my school internet!

Latooni: "I like to imagine every australian snipes for a living"

Keep your head down. I can see you from here.........
Destiny's Player
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Well, here's another ship. Tried to make it like non-recovering shields or something. It's a support missile-carrier.
Shielder.sb4
Have no idea how to name it.
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
P.S. This laptop I'm making these ships on is very bright, so I don't really have a lot of ideas about how it looks on a normally setup monitor.
Last edited by Destiny's Player on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Why not use the bubble shield instead of the deflectors because it's too bright to see any of the details
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Destiny's Player
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

CryoSleep wrote:Why not use the bubble shield instead of the deflectors because it's too bright to see any of the details
First: they're not deflectors, they're just stylized sections. Second: I'm on a fighterbay release. Third: I thought it looked cool like that. I'll try to lower the brightness.
:LATER:
Shielder Less Bright.sb4
Still have no idea how to name it.
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Lowered the brightness. I don't know if better or worse, but.
::LATER::
Whoops, misplaced the fighterbay.
Kirigaya Kazuto
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Kirigaya Kazuto »

The Fighterbays and MIRVs still work on Bubbleshield release BF. Anyways, putting THAT aside, Very nice ships overall, And you actually started small, instead of a massive super dreadnought killing everything kind of ship.
The Black Swordsman

As swift as a Bird of Prey, and as strong as a Rhino

Kirito Kazuto - The Black Swordsman

Sword Art Online

If you married someone, that means you love every side of your significant other that you already know. So if you find a new side after to love, doesn’t that mean you’ll love your partner even more?
Kirito/ Kirigaya Kazuto (Sword Art Online)

PS - Kiri, from Kirigaya and To from Kazuto to make Kirito.
Destiny's Player
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Well, I make smaller ships because for some reason the bigger ships I make end up underpowered. I don't know why, but here's a try at something bigger or something. Couldn't find good colours for it, so just used the gray colour. I suggest to load the file, and look at how it opens, I've tried to make some machinery or something.
Spoiler!
ImageImage
Ship or something.sb4
How to name it?
(19.96 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Also, for some reason, when I try to launch it in Sandbox, all the Doodads get away from their places. Why is that?
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

You are encountering the doodad placement error. They misbehave when on moving sections or turrets. I , personally, use my own solution for this, the FASDS sections. They are located in my sprite work thread in the custom content section of these forums.
They should help.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I say you need to work on your building aesthetic before jumping into triggered sections. Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to lurk and build more. Try looking at posts made by people with colored names (and Zalausai, but he always decks his stuff out for triggers :P) to try to get a feel for how sections work together.
naysayers will be shot
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Your most recent ships seem to be the best so far dispite the section work being a bit clumsy.
It's good to see that you already have a feel for BSF so soon, I still don't quite understand triggers And I've been here a year :P
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081