A random ship

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

turtwig9
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

A random ship

Post by turtwig9 »

i found a ship i made ages ago, back before i lost my BSF for a year, so i thought i'd post it just to get feedback on how to do better.
Spoiler!
the thing in the middle is just the flashbolter sprite loaded as a part with flashing fake ageis on it... i just wanted something in the middle (sorry no animation, can't do GIFs =/)

as a long time lurker, i've loled looking at noob threads which involve them argueing with critics because they say their ship is rubbish. im not one of'em, actually im pretty sure it IS a total mess... but i want the feedback on how to improve so im posting it anyway :D
so go ahead and be as picky as possible! just be sure to say what i should do if you know so i can improve :)

yeah... it would have been ideal to have a download link so you could pull it to pieces and show me what you mean... but my file structure is a total mess! after im finished with this one im using the repack and it won't load anymore.

lol, now i think about it... it kinda looks like a giant evil hestia! well, it does a bit :lol:

p.s every now and again i see something to do with making chainsaws... how is that done? i mean... do they do damage or are they just a spinny effect for awesomeness? i can figure out how to make mines using a torpedo launcher but i can only guess that chainsaws have little weapons hidden under them that do damage but have 0 range so you never see the bullets... maybe?
best mod edit ever:
"Anna Mod Edit: User was banned for this phenomenally retarded post."
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Re: A random ship

Post by Zalausai »

It looks similar to the mascot ship, hestia. The look of covered electronics is nice. Welcome to the forums.

Chainsaws? Do you mean like the ones on my thread?
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
turtwig9
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by turtwig9 »

i tried to build an infrastructure then armor over it, if i remember correctly, it was about a year ago i built it and im gonna have to get practice before i even figure out how i did that again, so for now im experimenting trying to find a style... expect totally random ships completely unrelated! :lol:

i know i heard about chainsaws somewhere... about a melee only ship? probably your thread :)
*checks* yep! it is your thread, the HLB. im interested in how the "new buzzsaw trick" works
best mod edit ever:
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

It's probably a glowy section attached to a spinner with a beamer that has zero range attached. It's actually a pretty simple thing to rig, but it's temperamental.
As for the ship. It's not great, but by no means bad. I say just keep building until you can get an affinity for how sections flow together.
naysayers will be shot
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

I will prepare a tutorial for it. Doogie12, I constructed it differently. My version uses a blaster and has range (not much). The tutorial will explain how to create one from scratch. It is fairly simple, but requires care to look right when spinning. It will also cover the "hot metal" effect.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Ah, I figured you drew inspiration from Eri's Orbital sword from the 4th BP.
I also made a mech a while back that you could throw punches with. Ultimately, I just prefer turrets.
naysayers will be shot
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

I guess I'll jump straight into the feedback.

1) The sw-style armaments and engines all look out of place against the rest of the ship which has been done in the stock-style.
2) While I agree that the "covered electronics" is a good idea, I think it would look less odd if the armor coverings were brighter or at least as bright as the electronics themselves.
3) Assuming you take number 2 into account, the ship would look odd with one patch of bright grey in the center and nowhere else. Maybe change it into a brighter shade of red to maintain the sense of depth the bright grey gives without it looking so out of place or add more bright grey sections elsewhere.
4) You should probably change the background to the black one before taking screenshots next time.

I look forward to seeing some more up-to-date works of yours. :)
turtwig9
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by turtwig9 »

Netharis wrote:I guess I'll jump straight into the feedback.

1) The sw-style armaments and engines all look out of place against the rest of the ship which has been done in the stock-style.
2) While I agree that the "covered electronics" is a good idea, I think it would look less odd if the armor coverings were brighter or at least as bright as the electronics themselves.
3) Assuming you take number 2 into account, the ship would look odd with one patch of bright grey in the center and nowhere else. Maybe change it into a brighter shade of red to maintain the sense of depth the bright grey gives without it looking so out of place or add more bright grey sections elsewhere.
4) You should probably change the background to the black one before taking screenshots next time.

I look forward to seeing some more up-to-date works of yours. :)
1) yeah, i totally agree on that one now i think of it *facepalm*
2) the thing is though, i didn't actually try for 'armor coverings' or 'covered electronics'... i just figured if i was gonna try add depth i should build depth, so i built an outline in grey then went over it... its just the paterns on the sprites lol, but its easy enough to add electronics i guess with noc_runes
3) ahh, i get it, since the grey 'electronics' are under the 'armor' they should be darker or the same brightness as the armor covering them, but that would make the one piece of bright grey stand out so i could change it to a slightly (not stock enemy red) shade of red to make it fit with the colour scheme :)
4) got it ;)

well, last night i updated my sprites section and done it properly (arctics sprites are done as arctic_component... because arc_ already exsists for arcalane) and basically the whole ship is a mess of question marks... and so has a little ship i tried to build yesterday made up of shiny sections, which always either didn't work at the front or back quite right, and then it got fat...and then it died a horrible death. so i think shiny sections hate me atm, so i'll stick with the normal ones and keep messing with shinys in my spare moments.

so im gonna have to do up to date work now, since all my normal ships from years ago don't work any more... it'll still be a while since i haven't got an idea as to if i can put something not totally terribad together again, so i won't try to build anything and just go for random things. (gonna take into account that lower down sections in depth normally must be equal or darker than higher ones to work, and apparently building a shape then going over it isn't the worst idea in the world) :)

but rl sucks for being in the way atm, so if i disappear for like a month im not just another noob whos quit, im probably pulling my hair out over not getting something good-ish together and being drowned in work! :D

*disappears into shipmaker*
best mod edit ever:
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I still want to see your shiny ship. Those sprites are a bit tricky to grasp at first, but the only way around it is to keep building.
naysayers will be shot
turtwig9
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by turtwig9 »

Doogie12 wrote:I still want to see your shiny ship. Those sprites are a bit tricky to grasp at first, but the only way around it is to keep building.
ok, i managed to find the screenshot (for some reason my screens aren't saved where they should be, or anywhere findable at all... only in recent documents when i search for "SM" through the whole computer" =/
Spoiler!
yeah... i put it together when i had some spare time yesterday... so i didn't have the advice for the all black background yet... and i can't get anything other than ? sprites now i've sorted my file structure out.
the main body went pentagon shaped and i tried to squash it down, making it fatter so i tried making the wings bigger too and they just rounded off... so i just worked at getting the front done and left it for the time being, then the sprites got updated and replaced so i can't load it up again.
i would have added another weapon other than the two at the back but i couldn't really find a good place to mount one.

the problem was to me making kae_shn088's non-smooth end flow, no matter where i put it it didn't seem quite right... so in the end i got two of it and flipped one and put the non-smooth ends together, using one for the body and the opposite one for the front.

so, advice this time? i don't work with shiny sprites often... this was my... 3rd time? normally its SW or arctics sprite pack. :)
best mod edit ever:
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

That's really not bad at all (and the black background isn't really a big deal), and I would love you to keep building with shiny, as you can really only get better.
naysayers will be shot
turtwig9
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by turtwig9 »

Doogie12 wrote:That's really not bad at all (and the black background isn't really a big deal), and I would love you to keep building with shiny, as you can really only get better.
wow, thanks! =D

thats like my 3rd attempt at shiny, and my first proper try at building something since i lost my BSF a year ago, so i expected it to be bad by shiny standards!

i'll stick to shinys then, but im not going to go typical noob and try build a huge death ship, i'll stick quite small if i can. (but i really don't have a clue what im building, i just import a few sections and put them together until something random comes out) xD
best mod edit ever:
turtwig9
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by turtwig9 »

well, i built another shiny ship, open to comments to help out as usual :)
Spoiler!
not sure if its better or worse than my last one... whichever it is, i got the black background right! :lol:
i could have used yellow where the blue is and said both of them were in the same fleet... but for some reason blue seemed right :D
best mod edit ever:
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

That's a pretty solid design, but I have a few nitpicks.
Don't use the SW styled weapons, as they are sorely lacking in detail compared to shiny sprites. Use Horsemonster's or Ixranin's weapons.
Secondly, I would splash that up with some doodads, such as teamstripes, windows, generic glows, or runes. As of right now it looks like a solid hunk of metal.
But really, you're off to an excellent start.
naysayers will be shot
turtwig9
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by turtwig9 »

been busy the past few days, but i got a ship done as well as doodading up my other one :)

doodaded up now
Spoiler!
and this one, it was meant to be a tiny scout ship of sorts, but thats as small as i could get it (without the core being seen)
Spoiler!
comment away! :D
(and yeah, the scout looks the same shape as one of the pirate NPCs... and its simple. because it was meant to be very small, and not have much detail or many sections...and it was meant to look frail, being a scout ship ^_^)

i'd try building bigger some time, but my ships always seem to end up that size :D
best mod edit ever: