(Editing) Commonwealth of colonies of Clarence Industry

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

operationwill
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

(Editing) Commonwealth of colonies of Clarence Industry

Post by operationwill »

*Crappy English Warning.*
This is my first time posting here, not quite sure about everything, but i'm really interested in the "WFTU" universe.

However knowing my ships are quite different in style (use of sprites from dst instead of shining and 1 or 2 GIANT main guns instead of Lasers for major damage output), I decided to put them here and gather as many comments I can get from all the senior ship-builders here before deciding the next step I'll take.

And, thanks for everyone's patience cause if there's a fleet of noobie-newbies I'm gonna be the flagship.
P.S. Yes my ships are greatly inspired by HALO blocky style ships. Cause I LOVE HALO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faction Storyline -
MAC cannon
Under the political treaties and arising military pressure from its major investor and neighbor, Empire A (still deciding), Clarence Industry is not permitted to build ships larger than cruiser class for self-defense purpose. However, a cruiser-class displacement means a limited number of laser turrets can be armed, not to mention laser technology is completely kept away from the Industry.

This greatly reduced the effectiveness of CCCI navy in achieving galactic expansion. To face with this situation, CCCI ship-designers took a loophole and carried out a risky covert project.

CCCI started a space elevator project that aims to "connect planets with satellites by utilizing sub-light speed magnetic tunnels". This aroused no suspicion from any factions. After thousands of "programmed" failed test run, essential statistics are gathered for this innovative, currently exclusive weapon of the CCCI navy, the Mass Accelerator Cannon (MAC).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CCCI Trafalgar Class BattleCruiser
SMscreen034.png
Spoiler!
HP: 860
Speed: 2.50
Turning: 0.90
Accel: 0.20

Armory:
2x Large Mac
4x 300mm auto cannons
8x Flak guns
4x multipurpose missile launcher
1x Nuclear missile launcher

Description:
Installing two large MACs gave the ship comparable firepower to a battleship and a rectangular shape body sacrificed anchor point for turrets, but allowed a smaller surface-area for a smaller hit-box and a relatively better armor arrangement under a constrained displacement.
CCCI Waterloo Class Heavy Cruiser
SMscreen023.png
Spoiler!
HP:700
Speed: 2.80
Turning: 1
Accel: 0.30

Armory:
4x 450mm Twin-mounted cannon
4x Flak guns
2x multipurpose missile launcher

Description:
Before the introduction of Trafalgar Class, the Waterloo Class was the best Ship CCCI Navy could offer, yet it had no chance against any man-o-wars toe to toe. Originally planned for the Trafalgar Class, the 450mm Twin-mounted cannons were proved too heavy for the ship, and eventually ended up on refitted Waterloo Class. This granted these ships a little higher efficiency in engaging enemy battleships, although its primary role is to protect the flank of the fleet against cruisers and destroyers alike.
CCCI Apprentice Class Destroyer
SMscreen025.png
SMscreen025.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
Spoiler!
HP:350
Speed: 3.2
Turning: 1.5
Accel: 0.75

Armory:
1x Small Mac
1x Flak guns
2x multipurpose missile launcher

Description:
/
In progress:
Colonize ship - CCCI Utopia
SMscreen028.png
Assault carrier - CCCI Graveline
SMscreen027.png
P.S. I want to change the name of the faction, any ideas? (Utopians/Elysians ETC?)
Last edited by operationwill on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Re: Commonwealth of colonies of Clarence Industry (CCCI)

Post by Zalausai »

It looks good, but the shading on the front looks darker on one side. You may want to make them equal. It would look odd in the game if several of them were deployed and moving around, but the shading remains uniform on only one side.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

That actually doesn't look too bad; really good for a first ship.
On top of what Zal said, you might want to change the background before taking screenshots (Tools>Change background). The repack should come with a bunch. Otherwise, just use paint or something to make a black bmp.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I really like what you were trying to do here. I like blocky terran ships as well if they are done right. I think there are several things you could improve on this though.

I think the small guns would be best mounted along the spine of the ship, both for looks and firing arc so they don't look like they are firing into the ship. Some more detailed engine bits such as n nozzles or something might be appropriate.

The shading was already mentioned, but also try to make 'lower' parts darker and 'higher' parts such as what appears to be a command bridge in the center, lighter. Some window doodads might help with this.

Try at all costs to avoid stretching sections. I mean it looks ok from a distance but you would be better off tiling smaller sections if you are going for the smooth hull like that. I get the Halo theme but since this is top view only, you might consider adding some irregularities to the sides of the ship. Some canard type bits maybe. At the least, I would want to add a mass of antennas to the front.
Kinda along these lines:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/J ... g~original
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

It may also help you to build only one side of the ship, then press "m" to completely mirror it over. It does this with perfect symmetry, which saves you time you should use on making details.
But really, not a bad start by any means at all. Please make more.

Edit* You aren't a user named Kodiak, are you?
naysayers will be shot
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Welcome to the forums!

Not bad for a newbie, smooth shape, unique shading (might look odd when the shop is moving or near other ships). I can't see any out right mistakes, please make more!
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
operationwill
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by operationwill »

Thanks for everyone's constructive ideas and encouragements!
The shadings are now symmetrical, however it kinda lost that "3-D" feeling(at least for me),
is there any tips for me to retain that feel while rationalizing the shades?

Mr.jwa8402, i notice those small guns(if the flak guns are what you're talking about) might look quite odd,however i still want to put point defense weapons on the rear of the ship, i don't know, but that's just me. But still, thanks for the opinion. And I've added some random antennas on the ship, I think they look good. Just hope they won't look too random for everyone.

But for the window doodads part, I have no idea where i can get "windows", I only have some I don't need (Or maybe they are there, but I couldn't find them)... even if I have them I have no idea how to import them (same way as sections?).

Mr.doogie, I actually did 3 ships, when I was making this one(which is the first), I didn't know about the "m"feature. But I got it later when I started working on my 2nd one. And I'm not Kodiak, though this name sounds really familiar to me, is he someone in this forum? I'll take this as an compliment anyway!
And would you mind I always use your great fleets' ships to balance my ships?

Here's a preview of the destroyer I'm working on.
DDX project
DDX project
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Ah, I think I can see your issue. You said it loses that "3D feel" when perfectly symmetrical, however It looks to me that you are primarily using a single shade of gray to color your ships. Try mixing it up, with lighter sections being the ones higher in elevation. Also, I strongly suggest you throw some shiny (Kae_shn) or Horsemonster sprites in there, as they can drastically improve the look of a ship. Doodads and glows can come later, firstly I want to see you have some glorious sectionwork, which you already seem to have an affinity for.
As for DGW balancing, I would recommend balancing against the Kriken Civil War ships, NOT the Miora Colonies or SAR.
Spoiler!
Kodiak is a user on another forum who literally just changed his name to Will. It isn't much of a coincidence, until you realize that I just put a plug for BSF on said forum and got a user named NestoFlo to join.
naysayers will be shot
operationwill
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by operationwill »

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciate!
For the shading part, I've already done that but I think the contrast is not enough for everybody to notice.
Actually I'm quite satisfied with the later half of the ship (The segment with point defense guns and missile launchers), but the first half (and the bridge) is just crap.

I tend to have this kind of spine
but it's real hard to give this feeling.

And for the sprites, I'm trying the Kae-s, they look real cool but I just need sometime to think which piece to include. I've already used Horsemonster weapons already. :D

The balance issue is especially difficult for me...
I tend to think of my faction as something like Tau from Warhammer 40K,
very small territory, posing no significant threat, not as advanced in general but have leading technology of some weapons that other factions think is not efficient but proved their value in combat.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Horsemonster didn't make only weapons, his engine blocks and tubes are very nice additions to any section pallette.
naysayers will be shot
operationwill
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by operationwill »

A little try on shining sprites.
Attachments
SMscreen010.png
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Don't resize sections, it looks weird.
naysayers will be shot
operationwill
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by operationwill »

I hope I'm making some progress here.
I just kinda think it looks like a giant floating... whatever.

I like the 2nd one better.
Attachments
2nd version
2nd version
1st version
1st version
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Yeah, honestly, I think the second one is better. Personally though, these look a little too thin and spindly, maybe try another thin layer of sections at parts to make it slightly bulkier.
And I reccomend taking pictures at default zoom (press home) so the sections won't look overly stretched.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I would agree you could thicken the hull in a few places but I like where you are going. One option if you need larger sprites is to make them. I would be very careful mixing section packs though. Maybe bulk out the engines and middle? Good job on not over-arming them.