LostAmongStars' Creations:

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: LostAmongStars' Creations:

Post by LostAmongStars »

Hi, everybody! I'm back! And I have some new ships for you! I'm sketching out a whole fleet of ships I hope to design, eventually! Starting off:
The basic cargo transport hull for the Altairian Alliance: with large internal bays and two external docks for extra-large cargo, this craft is the ship of choice for interstellar transporting needs.
The basic cargo transport hull for the Altairian Alliance: with large internal bays and two external docks for extra-large cargo, this craft is the ship of choice for interstellar transporting needs.
Seeing the power and versatility of the transport hull led the Council of the Altairian Alliance to move to modify it to carry small groups of fighter craft into areas where larger ships would be unfeasible.
Seeing the power and versatility of the transport hull led the Council of the Altairian Alliance to move to modify it to carry small groups of fighter craft into areas where larger ships would be unfeasible.
Further modifications on the basic transport hull led to a passenger variant--stripping the internal cargo bays for passenger cabins means that no space traveler will find their desires unmet!
Further modifications on the basic transport hull led to a passenger variant--stripping the internal cargo bays for passenger cabins means that no space traveler will find their desires unmet!
This is possibly the furthest modification to the Altairian Transport Craft Hull--with the addition of a rear, and two pylon-linked observation pods, this luxury transport craft is for those that can spare the extra credits to traverse interstellar space in style.
This is possibly the furthest modification to the Altairian Transport Craft Hull--with the addition of a rear, and two pylon-linked observation pods, this luxury transport craft is for those that can spare the extra credits to traverse interstellar space in style.
EDIT: All ships have been "colorized" in an attempt to add depthing--let me know how I did? Also, I redesigned the light carrier's hangars and support struts...does that look better? I think so, personally...
Last edited by LostAmongStars on Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

You're making good progress. The last one is the most appealing, mostly sure to it's color.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

They definitely are too grey, it makes them look bland. Keep the gradients of grey but use different colours, I suggest red or turquoise.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LostAmongStars »

Whoa--replies from Necrontyr and Zalausai! Thanks guys, I'll definitely keep working! To Zalausai, what do you like about my last ship? What works, specifically? And what, specifically, don't you like about my other ships? Specifically my light carrier? I know the general "look" I'm going for--but it just never feels--right. So any tips would be great. Thanks guys!
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

The first ship is also too square, and the back also stands out slightly. The second ship is also too square, but I like what you did with the central part on the front. The engine on it doesn't look too good, either. It makes that part of the ship look like a wrench. Maybe make the back a bit smaller? I can't see much wrong with the third ship, but it is pretty bland and boring. The yellow on the last ship stands out too much, but aside from that I quite like it. Definitely my favorite.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LostAmongStars »

Too square? Okay--I'll look into changing that, but it is a transport ship, I was intentionally designing it to be blocky and bulky...
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

"Too square" is just a building style. Because it doesn't fit his personal taste doesn't mean you should cater to it.
I advise you to try to place your sections more carefully, as right now the main problem is how jumbled it looks. Granted, that was a common issue with the sprite pack you are using. You might want to make the change over to shiny sections. You should also work on how you color sections, as you want it to be varied so that it looks like there is depth (usually using different shades of the same color, higher the section = lighter shade), and you want to avoid using saturated colors such as that yellow on the last one.
Don't take me wrong though, there really isn't anything bad with your ships, and I can definitely see a promising future for you. 90% if shipmaking skill comes from practice, so keep pumping them out!
naysayers will be shot
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

LostAmongStars wrote:To Zalausai, what do you like about my last ship? What works, specifically? And what, specifically, don't you like about my other ships? Specifically my light carrier?
What I like (+what works) about the last ship:
It actually has color and there is some semblance of depthing in the greys. The shape is more realistic in the last two, so they are more appealing.

What don't I like about the others?:
I just don't favor grey or box shaped ships. It's a matter of personal taste, nothing against you or the ships specifically.

Specifically the light carrier:
I don't know why, but the way that the ends of the wings create a sort of 'x' pattern is off-putting. While it is your design, I do not favor it. Again, personal taste.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Post by Majicnanas »

Great ships, but could be more vibrant. - I don't know why, but I always read doogies posts in batmans voice.
Add me on steam @majicnanas
LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LostAmongStars »

Heh, you were right, guys! Shiny sections are fun :P Definitely thinking shiny and Kaelis are my two favorite sprite-sets right now...
The Ilíras - its name translates to "spy", is the one-man scout craft of the Altairian Alliance Militia. A light and fast craft armed with a powerful sensor array, a skilled pilot can dart in and out of enemy territory without being detected, gaining valuable intel along the way.
The Ilíras - its name translates to "spy", is the one-man scout craft of the Altairian Alliance Militia. A light and fast craft armed with a powerful sensor array, a skilled pilot can dart in and out of enemy territory without being detected, gaining valuable intel along the way.
Altairian Scout.png (48.89 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
The Altairian Fighter - named the Rílihan - is the craft of choice for commissioned pilots and fighter-jock mercenaries alike. Striking a good balance of speed and power, the Rílihan is often found leading wings of strikecraft on a multitude of missions.
The Altairian Fighter - named the Rílihan - is the craft of choice for commissioned pilots and fighter-jock mercenaries alike. Striking a good balance of speed and power, the Rílihan is often found leading wings of strikecraft on a multitude of missions.
Altairian Fighter.png (36.88 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
The Ahrelan Bomber is called in for jobs that require the maximum amount of firepower that a one-man craft can muster. Heavily armed and armored, its compliment of anti-capital missiles can breach battleship and station hulls alike.
The Ahrelan Bomber is called in for jobs that require the maximum amount of firepower that a one-man craft can muster. Heavily armed and armored, its compliment of anti-capital missiles can breach battleship and station hulls alike.
Altairian Bomber.png (36.21 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
A shot of a Rílihan fighter and Ahrelan bomber next to my light carrier for scaling purposes
A shot of a Rílihan fighter and Ahrelan bomber next to my light carrier for scaling purposes
Comments and critique welcomed! Also, I updated my four ships above--see said post for details.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Those fighters are actually pretty nifty. I would love to see you color and modify the Stiletto though!
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Nice fighters, i love them especially the first one.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
LostAmongStars
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by LostAmongStars »

Just one new ship today guys--been suffering a bit of "builder's block", or whatever you want to call it :P Personally, I don't really like this one--so I'm actually putting it up here for a bit of critique, and also to showcase my building style--wondering how the rest of the BSF community builds. For me, I start out with a "base" design, usually using the SW sprites to map out the general shape of my ship, either something that was in my head, or something I sketched out. But I'm no artist, lol, so the best I can manage is very basic. Anyway, I go from there, piling on layer after layer until I'm satisfied with the result. Thoughts? Am I out of my mind? :P
The initial "base" design with a few additional sprites tacked on
The initial "base" design with a few additional sprites tacked on
Building the wings
Building the wings
More wings--couldn't decide how best to fill the inner space and still have it look wing-like
More wings--couldn't decide how best to fill the inner space and still have it look wing-like
Redesigned--this looks much better!
Redesigned--this looks much better!
The final product before shrinking it to scale
The final product before shrinking it to scale
The finished ship!<br /><br />The Mahrelirn torpedo bomber is the same basic design as the Ahrelan, though designed with the modern battlefield in mind. In the wars against the Vrellian Allegiance and Coalition of Minda-Shan, the Altairian Alliance realized they needed a hardier and faster bomber for hit-and-run missions. While it cannot carry quite as large a payload as its cousin, the Mahrelirn is faster and more maneuverable, able to get in and out where larger ships cannot.
The finished ship!

The Mahrelirn torpedo bomber is the same basic design as the Ahrelan, though designed with the modern battlefield in mind. In the wars against the Vrellian Allegiance and Coalition of Minda-Shan, the Altairian Alliance realized they needed a hardier and faster bomber for hit-and-run missions. While it cannot carry quite as large a payload as its cousin, the Mahrelirn is faster and more maneuverable, able to get in and out where larger ships cannot.
SMscreen029.png (37.73 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
It's also my first time seriously attempting to use DST sprites--thoughts/suggestions on how to improve transitions? A lot of things look wonky to me--can't quite put my finger on why, specifically, but I just don't like this fighter as much as my other ones...
BlueScreenOfDeath123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by BlueScreenOfDeath123 »

Nice ships :)
They look really nice,although >I< don't like some of them because i feel like some of them are a little blocky and not very sleek for theyre size,however that might only be me.The Ilíras is my favorite out of all theese.
Hope you keep making these ships though :)
If i see something that looks good,i will most likley attempt on making something like it.
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

I defiantly find your final design most agreeable. Maybe stick some thing on it that outlines it as a torp' bomber (like a couple of warhead sticking out from under the wings, would help to break up the shape too).
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081