Netharis' Ships and... stuff.

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Netharis' Ships and... stuff.

Post by Netharis »

Weeeell, it's been awhile since I've been around; I used to go by the name crimsonflame, but made a new account due to a number of reason.
Namely, I forgot the password and the e-mail account has been deactivated. And also, it's a silly name. (Honestly, I don't know what young me was thinking.)
Anyway, story time could go on, but I'm sure that can wait till after the ships.

I've been alternating work between 3, as of yet unnamed, ships and will be posting them in the order of which I started working on them while giving a brief outline of my methods and thought-processes for each ship under its respective picture (For future reference and to stave off boredom). Depending on how lazy I'm feeling, I'll update this first post with progress as I complete the ships. Edit: Yeah... Too lazy. Sorry guys. :P

Ship 1
SMscreen09.png
The first and arguably most complete among the three. I decided to stick with a familiar shape since I haven't made any ships in forever.
The orange "shields" used to be achieved with fake aegis which Anna rightfully pointed out looked quite ugly. Instead, they're now low-alpha stock sections of relatively matching shapes. This ship also marks my first foray into the use of windows and additive blended blobs for shine.
Note: I learnt the hard way, but windows are NOT doodads, which have been painstakingly arranged. I'm not sure where the original source is, but I got mine by downloading one of Anna's ships that used them.
Overall, I'm relatively satisfied with how it turned out.

Ship 2
SMscreen02.png
Having done a flying/floating shield, I wanted to make something that looked fast. In its construction, I made the pleasant discovery that an orange section with a low-alpha fake aegis gives a nice vermilion glow. Not really much else to say about this one.
To do:
1)I think the back is a bit plain so I'll look into that tomorrow.
2)Aside from that, I'll be touching up the glows and adding reflections.

Ship 3 (Station 1?)
SMscreen08.png
For this one, I wanted something that I could use the vermilion glows from the previous ship on that was also sort of radial. Unfortunately, the nature of having radial struts meant that the heat sinks had to be demoted downwards (at least in this case), only allowing a less spectacular glow that I'd have liked. Again, I'm bad with wings so I went through about 5 iterations before I settled on this pair which I'm quite happy with. At the moment, I'm working towards something along the lines of communication satellite + interstellar death cannon.
To do:
1) Add some thrusters to the front of the wings because even death cannons have to turn.
2) Maybe make the cannon bigger and more menacing. Might forgo the triple-barrel layout for a different one. Also, haven't decided if it's a laser cannon or a kinetic one.
3) Light it up like a Christmas tree! (Albeit a monochromatic one.)

Overall to do:
1) Name ships.
2) Attempt bigger ship(s) and asymmetrical ships.

I don't think all my posts will be this long. It's probably just all the years of not posting spilling out in one go.
C&C would be appreciated. Otherwise, just drop by to say hi. Not that I'm telling you how to live your life or anything (DO IT! :shock: )
Last edited by Netharis on Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Netharis' Ships and... stuff.

Post by Doogie12 »

Welcome back, aaaannnd you've left me speechless.
naysayers will be shot
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

I feel like the first one is a bit too spindly around the connecting areas.
The second one is really quite solid overall, though I personally am not a fan of the engine block in the back.
The third one, is a bit messy on the sides. I like the rear part a lot, and the central cannon looks quite good, the wings just feel a bit tossed together in a hodgepodge.
Other than that, I think the coloring is really cohesive and nice, and there's a lot of good sectionwork in there, the stock glowy aegis stuff is also really cool and works well with the style.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

I really like the low-alpha stock effect! (why didn't I think of that?)
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

@Doogie, The feeling's mutual.
@Chiiro, Awesome. I'll go look into that stuff. Also, wings will be the death of me. ._.
@Necron, I really only stumbled upon it by accident while trying to figure out how to make windows that didn't look like butt.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

In case you haven't noticed, the community has been into Noc runes lately, as they work well as a "hull tattoo" of sorts. They could be helpful in the creation of your "windows." Although those stock section overlays seem more like shields to me.
naysayers will be shot
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

Ah, interesting...
I'll keep that in mind, though I think I prefer the ss_windows.

Yeah, the section overlays are shields.
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

Alright. Update time!
Following Chiiro's comment, I've made the following adjustments.
Made the joining struts wider and added another strut near the front (Hard to see, but it's there).
Made the joining struts wider and added another strut near the front (Hard to see, but it's there).
Reworked the engine casing. Aside from that, I touched up the glows and added some reflection glows.
Reworked the engine casing. Aside from that, I touched up the glows and added some reflection glows.
Redid the outer wings, added a protective casing thingy for the front of the gun, and added glows.
Redid the outer wings, added a protective casing thingy for the front of the gun, and added glows.
Let me know what you guys think.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

These look fabulous, especially the 2nd one. The third one seems off though, I think it's because the front bit is kinda thin and spindly wheras the wingy bits and reay are fatter and blockier.
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

Hmm... I think that might have happened because I intended for it to be a space station, but it became a ship sometime during its construction and the wings that were meant to be solar panel arrays became, well, wings.
How's this?
SMscreen022.png
I believe this is the widest I can make it go without having to do a major restructuring of the cannon area.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Looks better, though it's still kinda spindly.
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

Damn... I guess I'll add that to my to-do list.
In the mean time, some other things I'm working on having just discovered that there were more shiny sections that I was unaware of ._. :
SMscreen029.png
SMscreen029.png (14.82 KiB) Viewed 12613 times
SMscreen028.png
SMscreen028.png (9.56 KiB) Viewed 12613 times
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

Right. So. As most of you have probably never been aware of with me having popped in only less than a week ago, I'm bad with big ships.
In order to remedy that, I've decided to force myself to make more of them in an attempt to improve.

Thus, I present to you, from the grey not-really-a-ship thing above, the Se'raang (AKA Big-ship-attempt 01).
I'll add the reflections after finalizing the sections, but this is pretty much the shape of the final product.
SMscreen045.png
I had to consider a bunch of sections that I wasn't even aware existed during its construction.

"Why such a strange name?" You might ask.
Well, my friend. In the spoiler box below, you will find the reference I used for the shape of this ship. A ship I made looooong ago that goes by the same name.
Spoiler!
SMscreen062.png
I chose this as a reference because:
1) I'm not good enough at building large ships to just wing it.
2) It's one of only two ships I've made that I would consider large.
3) The original model took a LOT of time to make and I wanted to pay it a little homage.

All in all, I found building outside of my comfort zone to be quite refreshing and would recommend it for the practice and the challenge.
I think I'll chill by finish up the ship that preceded the grey not-really-a-ship thingy and making a few less-massive ships before I attempt another large ship (Assuming my exams don't come first.)
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Wow, these are nice! I think I remember shooting at some of those things back in Gradius III.
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

@Danny, Thanks. Also, I looked up Gradius III after reading your post and decided to do a crystal core inspired ship but, as you can see, the result is not quite as similar as planned.
SMscreen054.png
SMscreen054.png (25.33 KiB) Viewed 12530 times
Asymmetry. Another one of my weak points that I'm working on.
The lore behind this one is that some scavengers managed to salvage a shield projector but lacked the technical knowledge to calibrate the projected shape. As a result, they decided to build a ship to fit the shield instead. Not only that, but having the shield projected over such a wide area has significantly weakened its integrity. Or something like that.
SMscreen046.png
SMscreen046.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 12530 times
Also, the other ship thingy.