Infected Design.Co

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Re: Infected Design.Co

Post by Zalausai »

Where are the engines, captain?!
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Well, it's better than the last few, but that's because the last few were frankly really shitty.
Still, stop using the radiator/solar panels as structural elements, they don't fit in that role. And try gun rotation.
Zal: He mentioned it's a station, though frankly that looks more like a proper ship than it does a station.
Infected
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Infected »

Spoiler!
Battlecruiser Operational.
SMscreen023.png
If you did not catch the refernce, this is the Terran Battlecruiser from Starcraft 2.
For that matter, Starcraft 1, and Brood War as well.
Sprite included.
Battlecruiser.shp
(12.21 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Battlecruiser.sb4
(14.74 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Battlecruiser.png
Anna Admin Edit: Glory to Arstotzka.
Attention interloper - heed this recorded message. This Drone vessel speaks with the voice and authority of the Infected Shellcores. You are trespassing within Infected space. This world, Shellcore Command, may not be approached for any reason. Nor will hostilities against our Defense Platform be tolerated. In addition, your ship does not respond to standard Infected identification transmissions... and is there for deemed to be... independent. This is not permissible -- only subservience shall be tolerated. This Drone now leaves to inform the Infected Shellcores of your transgressions. You are commanded to remain here and await the arrival of the Infected.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

So you've just copypasted the sprite directly from SC into BSF. That strikes me as particularly lazy and unoriginal.
(There have been battlecruisers made with the BSF sprites before, I know JWA did one. Just copying a screenshot of the model is really, really lazy and not a good way of demonstrating prowess with BSF.)
EDIT: It somehow looks worse than the original, thanks to it being coloured much darker and littered with BSF gun sprites that don't fit. How did you even manage to mess that up?
Last edited by calvin1211 on Sat May 04, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Look, taking a sprite that you obviously didn't make and putting it in shipmaker doesn't count as "making a ship". I'd have thought this was obvious, but apparently I was wrong.

No but seriously fuck off with that.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Actually, the sprites in SC are drawn at an isometric angle. This must be from another source. However, Anna's edit still stands as it not being a proper ship. Why not go the way of "Alchemy" with it and try again.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

SC2 doesn't even use sprites. It uses 3D models. It looks like that "sprite" was maken by taking a top-down picture of the Battlecruiser model.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

I was referring to SC1. Never bothered to touch the sequel.

Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

*blinks and stares blankly as blood trickles from her nose*
Oh I'm sorry, pardon me. I just had an aneurysm from Infected's sheer stupidity.
Infected
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Infected »

I see why I was advised to stay away from this forum at all costs.
I also see why you have very few new members.
You hold them up to the standards of a few who make insanely complicted ships, that no one who has not been doing this for
a year or two would be able to stand up against. Then, when they do not produce a God ship of epic preportions, you blindly attack their ships. Silver Winged Seraph, I see why everyone seems to regard you as a complete asshole, because you are.
Whatever, I am done here. Ban me, close the thread do whatever the fuck you want.
Im gone.
Attention interloper - heed this recorded message. This Drone vessel speaks with the voice and authority of the Infected Shellcores. You are trespassing within Infected space. This world, Shellcore Command, may not be approached for any reason. Nor will hostilities against our Defense Platform be tolerated. In addition, your ship does not respond to standard Infected identification transmissions... and is there for deemed to be... independent. This is not permissible -- only subservience shall be tolerated. This Drone now leaves to inform the Infected Shellcores of your transgressions. You are commanded to remain here and await the arrival of the Infected.
Miram
Commander
Commander

Post by Miram »

Rage quit.
I'm wanna post this at shell core commando forums aeleaoleoaloeolaeoleoaeloel
Hey people look this
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Shellcore_Comm ... 02408/105/
I'm rare akuma you argument is invalid.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

What. He's gonna have a hard time keeping a job in life.
naysayers will be shot
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Lol actually that is the same image I used to make mine.

Dude, I hate to see you give up. You are right that your creations shouldn't be compared to those of vets, but that really isn't what these guys are doing. They gave you plenty of nudges in the right direction because some of the things you were doing are just really outside the norm. Almost everyone here started by building shitty ships and fighting with Anna or others over it. The difference is, they listened until they finally built something worthwhile, then shut up and built 20 more.

Keep in mind this is an old game so most of this stuff has been tried to the point where we know what works and doesn't. I tried plopping images in as ships, so did a few other people. It's a horrible life choice which is why we want you to stay away from it. If that is what you like doing, go play Gratuitous space battles.

A big part of why it is a bad idea is because of the quality of images out there. You actually found a good quality one but now that you've got it in there, what would you do with it? You can't recolor any part of it individually, you can't have pieces break off when it gets hit. Pretty much pointless. Now taking a ship, cutting it up, and making a quality section pack out of the pieces so you can assemble them into a BSF version of that ship? Hasn't really been done and would be quite cool if you pull it off.

Nothing wrong with imitating other ships. For many of mine I would set an image like that as the background to get the shape right. If you choose to keep trying these guys really know what they are talking about once you stop doing things to annoy them, but if you give up then that tells us all we need to know about you.
Last edited by jwa8402 on Sun May 05, 2013 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Infected, I haven't even been here three months. They are nicer to me (as a newbie) for the sole fact that I at least make an attempt to learn from the criticism given. I also make an effort to learn from them and perform experiments on my own before asking for help.

Learn from those around you!
I can't teach newbies things or help them out if they BAWWWWW and run away every five goddamn seconds.

Miram
Commander
Commander

Post by Miram »

Its normal take a fight with Anna. all have take already.
But Anna is a cool guy at all he is not a flaming monster with giant horns what shoot lazor of his mouth and kill everyone
I'm rare akuma you argument is invalid.