Alchemy 3.0: You Are (Not) Original

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Re: Alchemy 3.0: You Are (Not) Original

Post by Zalausai »

Necrontyr1998 wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around how that *gestures towards the ship variant*
Turns into that *gestures to the amazing transformed version*.
Go ahead and watch it move.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_X9clv8 ... e=youtu.be
I left BSF in a normal window, so it recorded poorly. It looks okay at the small and medium resolution though.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Right, I've got a fair number of submissions and I think it's time to bring this contest to a close, unless anybody else is still building.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Zalausai wrote:Darkness Grand Vizier
Spoiler!
A horrific experiment performed on a terran dreadnought with great success by the Darkness. Slow and heavily armored, this monstrosity awaits any who venture too deeply into Darkness space.

Original image size increased by 20%

Class: Beyond Dreadnought
Sections: 280
Articulated Parts: 40
Core HP: 1250
Size: 557.92
Speed: 0.5
Accel: 0.2
Turning: 0.5

Weapons: Equivalent. . .
Superheavy Blue Laser x 8
Tiny Blue Laser x 4
Darkness Grand Vizier SM.jpg
Due to doodad glitches, they had to be removed before playing in the sandbox.
Darkness Grand Vizier.jpg
The non-doodaded version is available.
Darkness Grand Vizier.zip
Zalausai Edit: Updated Weapons, Fixed some articulation problems, Removed Doodad Version
Look at this.
Missing sprite!

Custom sprites\Doodads\fraxy_112.png
Look at it.

Next time you post a ship which loads sections from folders they don't fucking belong in, I will delete that ship and the post containing it out of hand.

If this seems harsh, let me remind you that I'd already told you about this:
Anna wrote:You should absolutely not be including the Fraxy_112 sprite in the Doodads folder. It belongs in the fucking /Fraxy Sprites/ folder, which I already have three goddamn duplicates of, because idiots wouldn't leave sprites where they belonged, or wouldn't name folders the way they were told, so all the fraxy sprites ended up getting spread around under "/Fraxy Sprites/" or "/FraxySprites/" or even just "/fraxy/".

We do not want people to require duplicates of sections. The fraxy_112 does not belong in the "/Doodads/" folder. Do not put it there, do not use it from there.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

It would appear that I accidentally left it that way on my ini file. I added it to the doodads list in my shiny sprites ini file after I made doodads 1.01. With all the rushing of daily life plus all the recent changes to the forum and rebalancing my ships, it must've slipped my mind. I'll fix it and edit the ship's original post before the end of the day.

Zalausai Edit: It should be fine now.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.

STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

I've been putting this off for a whole fucking week due to RL etc., but here we go. Both of us agree on this order:

1. Majicnanas's submission wins on account of pulling off a spectacular style with the stock sections while being fairly cohesive about it. The "falling apart" look is very unique, and the glows are tasteful. Also nostalgia-goggles

2. Doogie12's entry is second for having a very cohesive shape and a great color scheme. The sectionwork is dodgy in places and some parts feel rushed or patched together. I think a bit of TLC time would've helped this ship a lot.

3. Battle Titan's entry has a very garish color scheme, and a lot of parts look hodgepodge (although there are some decent bits, particularly around the centerline). The mangled outline is awful.

4. Chiiro's entry is fourth because although the color scheme is unique and pleasing, the sectionwork is universally terrible and doesn't stand up to close inspection. Again, disastrous outline.

5. Zalausai's entry is dead last because of blobby/haphazard sectionwork and looking generally hideous and janky in both of its forms. Although the articulation is technically impressive, Zalausai seems to have forgotten to make it actually look presentable. There are less retarded ways to do articulated arms, like such and such.

I don't think I'll run another contest like this for a while, but it's clear that purely aesthetic comps are out of the question for now. For the next one, a sort of "scenario-based tournament" is in the works, where you'll have to design something that works as good as it looks.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

I think that I tried too hard with it. Personally, I wondered if it had to many sections that move. I guess so.
Sadly, I agree with my place. I actually hated my own ship for the same reasons, but I went for something advanced anyway.

Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Post by Majicnanas »

Wow, I didn't expect to win, especially with stock sections. It is such a honour.

Also, Nostalgia-goggles? What are those?
Add me on steam @majicnanas
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Majicnanas wrote:Wow, I didn't expect to win, especially with stock sections. It is such a honour.

Also, Nostalgia-goggles? What are those?
It's when you view past events with rose-colored glasses, like it's all good and sunshine and shit. WOW it's been a while since I've posted.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Indeed it has, welcome back venerable one. :D
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

It just warms my heart when an old member comes out of hiding. And yes, Aralonia, I do see you lurking.
naysayers will be shot
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Heh, I remember when we made the transition from stock to Kaelis's shaded sections, and then to the shiny sprites. I even (sorta) participated in Arc's Metagame. Those were the days huh? REALLY glad to see BSF still living on, when I left it was on life support. This was my first forum ya know? I was like 12 when I joined.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Yea same here. I was 13, and Anna hated me :P
Thankfully WFTU came along.
naysayers will be shot
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Other than Darkspace, this was my first forum as well, and is the one that I have frequented most consistently over the last 5 or so years.
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
Majicnanas
Captain
Captain

Post by Majicnanas »

This is my first serious forum, others didn't last a week.
Add me on steam @majicnanas
Jay2Jay
BANNED

Post by Jay2Jay »

This is my second forum, right after Transcendence.