Gratuitous Space Battles ship database

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Gratuitous Space Battles ship database

Post by sssuperguy1 »

I, myself, am a fan of GSB. This is possibly because the top profiles of their ships are easily implanted into battleships forever!
Speaking of GSB, introducing the Buffalo class Federation Cruiser!
No custom bullet sprites yet, although the beams are pretty easily done with stock beam designs. The glowing orb at the front is actually a hidden nanomatrix (aka a repair moduale in GSB) being charged up by the infusion powerup. The orb is there in the actual game, but without the glowing.
And without further ado, presenting the entire Federation race:
Cruisers:
Eagle
Buffalo
Rabbit
Panther

Frigates:
Wolf
Puma
Fox
Gazelle

I would have added fighters, but the core would have been too large to have been hidden.

I have 1 more ship done (although weaponless) that I've found from the Scavengers mod.
Introducing, the Broken class Asteroid Ship!
The tractor beam holding that extra bit flickers and glows to be as lifelike as possible.
Ahh, I love the smell of charred alien spaceship in the morning...
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Re: Gratuitous Space Battles ship database

Post by R0ni »

Well, god damn. This is nice looking game infusion or..whatever it is called. Nice work! :D
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

To be honest, I question the practice of ripping entire ships from one game and putting it into shipmaker. I don't play (or have ever seen for that matter) GSB so I don't know if you pieced these together yourself. If you do this, however, people that can give good advice won't be able to.
naysayers will be shot
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Exactly. It's not difficult to come up with a decently original ship design if you've been taught to use your imagination (or not had it beaten out of you at school).
sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sssuperguy1 »

Oh, don't think that I can't use my imagination. But what you can think is that I suck at graphical design! So really, it's either this or back to the ol' parts that came in with the download. And yes, I tried downloading other sprite packs but it simply won't work on my laptop.
shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

Post by shamrocksoldier »

sssuperguy1 wrote: And yes, I tried downloading other sprite packs but it simply won't work on my laptop.
If you could be a little bit more specific with this i'm sure someone would be able to help you... there's only a handful of things that can go wrong when importing custom sprites as far as I know
UNGW Fleet:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6452
The War for the colonies:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6454

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. But In the morning, I shall be sober.”
Motorcycle Detective Gunmax
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Motorcycle Detective Gunmax »

sssuperguy1 wrote:And yes, I tried downloading other sprite packs but it simply won't work on my laptop.
It 'simply won't work on your laptop'? Really? Why the hell not? They're not magic. They're sprites. And since you're clearly able to import your own sprites, I fail to see how you couldn't import sprites that others made. There is no "simply" about that. It makes no sense unless you are doing something completely wrong. Please explain the problem.
I can turn into a giant gun. Your argument is invalid.
sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sssuperguy1 »

I'm not really a techie. I was just the one in the family who knew a bit about computers and then accidentally became the family IT expert. But here's what usualy happens (and what also happens with downloadable ships):
I start the download and choose to open the file. I get the good ol' "Windows can't find the correct program to open the file" or something like that. So if I choose a save destination for the file(s) and save it there, I won't be able to find it. Sometimes I can download ships, but not always and never sprites.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Ah, I see your issue. You need winrar. A lot of the sprites actually just have it in regular zip format.
If you give me a sec I'll package my entire BSF folder and upload it here. That should be sufficient.
naysayers will be shot
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Unzip both of these and put it in your custom sprites folder.
Custom sprites 1.zip
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 227 times
Custom sprites 2.zip
(583.27 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
naysayers will be shot
sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sssuperguy1 »

Now that I've downloaded those (thanks, by the way), shipmaker has decided to hate me. When opening shipmaker, I get swamped with 100+ error reports, all saying something along the lines of this:
for object obj_sidebar:

Missing sprite!

Custom sprites\Kae_generic\Kae_sec01.png

Press ignore to replace with '?' sprite, or abort to terminate Shipmaker.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

OK that probably has something to do with where you put it. Did you move any folders around or copy everything in the download as is? Basically that error is usually what you get if you try to load a sprite that isn't in the right folder. Easy to fix if you can pin it down, which with the number of errors sounds like a whole folder which should be even simpler.
sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sssuperguy1 »

Yep, figured it out. Turns out I now have a couple of misnamed files containing sprites used in already existing ships. The only thing is that I don't know what those 2 used to be called. But at least I've went down from 100+ errors to just 10.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

K. Also note that if you happen to build ships with sprites stored in an area that works but is not the same as everyone else, making it not work for them, you can just do a find&replace in notepad to fix it. Glad you worked it out though.