My first post, including custom ship #279

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

My first post, including custom ship #279

Post by sssuperguy1 »

I'm a novice to this forum, but I've been playing the game for at least a year. I've designed a lot of stock ships and attempted a lot of custom sprites. And then I realized, I suck at making sprites!! So I thought, why do all that work? So I found some games such as Gratuitous Space Battles, took screenshots of their ships and weapons, and implanted them into Battleships Forever. Now I have a lot of accurate ships made from custom sprites.
I've now been taking screenshots from Homeworld 2, and I then took parts of the ships and saved them as sprites. I have just made this (however it is currently weaponless) from the Hiigaran Carrier and Interceptor:
It is a small carrier-class ship, capable of holding 15 fighters, or 3 squadrons, in its bays. The command portion (whoops, forgot the bridge) is capable of analyzing combat data, providing ships within its vicinity a boost to combat strength. This ship is still in development, so any feedback would be appreciated.
Ahh, I love the smell of charred alien spaceship in the morning...
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: My first post, including custom ship #279

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm. So just to be clear, that is made of sections cut from a picture of a ship, not one single picture dropped into the game right? Seems OK if you are going to do it that way, just be careful about how things are parented. Also helps to build a skeleton or hull underneath so if a piece gets blown off it doesn't just look like a cookie cutter hole. You could also do the GSB way, several layers of the same section with the 'higher' pieces having lower hp so they get blown off first, revealing battle damage without taking out the ship all together.

If you are going to arm it, I would seriously recommend you either hide the turrets or find sprites of homeworld turrets to make your own.
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

Interesting idea. I instantly recognize homeworld 2 Higaaran carrier pieces there. :D
sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sssuperguy1 »

Thanks. I'm still making my homeworld 2 ship database, and it's going to be a challenge for the vaygr as their ships are so vertical. But I'll find a way. Not sure what to do about battle damage however. I could either A, make some framwork underneath, but I have never tried that before. B, cut up the sprites into pieces and stick them all together like for my GSB ships, so when being shot at, the edges will crumple and such. Or C, place a slightly larger piece over it, and add damage to the lower piece underneath as suggested before. I have never done that before either. A might be the best choice, as it can also help for parenting.
I have added the bridge tower. This ship gave me some grief with that as mirroring it places another bridge on the other side, and a mirroring error gives me 2 thruster blocks.
For weapons, I tried to be accurate to the game. There are 4 hidden flak cannons with a narrow firing range and some more edits I put in like an extended range. The hanger launches 15 fighters (demeters at the time), with a 100% interception rate and a low damage, high fire rate. They will last quite a long time, and will all die as soon as the next wave gets launched. To help save in my data plan, I'll post screenshots of the completed ship when it's fully done and not before.
Anything else, guys? If not, I'd better get back to work!
DerpCactusDerp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DerpCactusDerp »

Actually, I've noticed a small thing: The edges do look a bit... cut off in some places. Maybe that's the only disadvantage of cutting ships into pieces, but it's not very bad (in fact, i took me some time to notice)
Now working on those nice needle beamers. Beware!
sssuperguy1
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sssuperguy1 »

If it were possible to fix that, any ideas would be appreciated. Because I have none. The other thing that slightly bothers me is the way the horizontal line of symmetry looks. But I could most likely fix that when I decide to.

Here is what it currently looks like, in battle against a couple cruisers:
Its flak defences aren't firing, but that's ok as I need to do some range touch-ups
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Hmm well bees are great as far as they go but it would be really awesome if you make some real fighters...Pretty easy to tweak them till they dogfight. Only tricks are getting the ship deployer to not bug out, and making sure the core blows when the rest of the ship does so you don't have a hundred tiny cores flying around. But I did it for my BSG stuff and its awesome when it works.