Gunmax - Anna's Random Ship Repository

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Gunmax - Anna's Random Ship Repository

Post by Anna »

calvin1211 wrote:Personally, I think you might want to try extending the metal parts around the entire edge of the landscape bubble.
Was already doing that before you even posted. :lol: That was my intention the whole time, just hadn't gotten around to it when I posted that first WIP screenshot. Here's what I currently have:

Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Now that's more like it! Makes me want to investigate the books actually.

The detail on the Ravager armor mechanism is quite nice!
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

Is that landmass a doodad or a section? Is it in pieces or one big piece? The shine glows are nice. Are they light blue or a low alpha white?
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Anna

Post by Anna »

The landmass is a section. It's one big piece. The glows are light blue.

This is the final version of the ship, I think. I'll post a download later.

Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

jwa8402 wrote:Now that's more like it! Makes me want to investigate the books actually.
They're pretty good books, but they can be a bit tricky to get used to. They take place in a super-advanced space civilisation called "The Culture". Humans in the Culture can effectively live forever, regenerate from most wounds, have glands in their bodies which they can use to produce hundreds of different varieties of drugs for recreation or to help improve performance. It's basically paradise. Anyone can have whatever they want, there's no real laws because there's no incentive to break laws anymore, and humans are effectively left to just spend their whole lives chilling however they want while the Minds, super-intelligent AIs, run more or less everything. Ships like GSVs are usually run by between 1-3 Minds.

And as for GSVs themselves, I'll just copy-paste from Wikipedia:
General Systems Vehicles (GSVs) are the Culture's largest type of ship, ranging between 25 km and 200 km in each dimension (including the fields protecting them and forming the exterior of their life-support system). GSVs which provide accommodation for biological members of the Culture generally have populations in the millions or billions, and can be considered worlds in their own right. However, they are also, with some lead time, able to transform into massive factories or warships. In one of the Culture novels (Excession), a GSV unloads its organic population and transforms itself into a very fast-moving shipyard/mothership, effectively deciding the outcome of the main plot thread. In the Culture novel (Surface Detail) Veppers is informed that a single large GSV would be able to combat a fleet of 230,000,000 simple warships - representative of the combined force of an entire lesser civilisation - alone.

GSVs generally have little resemblance to traditional 'ship' design expectations, as they are enveloped in multitudes of fields which allow them to dispense with anything resembling an outer protective hull or shell, instead often being covered with parks and outside buildings. Their layers serve different purposes - from atmosphere containment, foreign object barriers and sensory input/signalling to traction fields for interstellar movement.

GSVs are so complex and so vital to the Culture that they are described as generally being controlled by three Minds (although the System Class GSV Empiricist is described as having seven in "The Hydrogen Sonata". So far (2008) Banks generally assumes that a GSV's three Minds agree on major issues, but has also explored the possibility and consequences of major disagreements, which can result in the losing Mind(s) being forced off the ship and the winning Mind(s) taking full control.

Classes of GSV are usually named after the largest planetary geological/geographical features. Some of the known classes of GSV are (in decreasing order of size and capability):

System Class [multiple separate components suspended in a force field up to 200 km long]
Plate Class [53 km long, 22 km wide, 4 km thick, or, including fields, up to 90 km long, 60 km wide, 20 km thick]
Range Class
Equator Class
Continent Class
Ocean Class
Can sometimes be hard to wrap your brain around things in the setting with just how absurdly advanced most of their technology is. My ship, while I'm calling it a GSV, doesn't really look anything like a GSV would actually look like, because layers and layers of decks wrapped in shields and capable of rearranging themselves into all sorts of different shapes wouldn't really work as a BSF ship, but in the books there's this moment when a character looks out of the window of the ship he's in, and sees what he thinks is another ship in orbit of a planet, only to be informed that it's not a planet he's seeing, it's a GSV, and that image, plus some others, inspired me to make something similar in BSF, even if I couldn't stay true to the overall described design of a GSV.

EDIT: And I seem to have run into a problem where the ship won't load in BSF. Guess it's a good thing I didn't close Shipmaker. Might try deleting some bits and seeing if I can get it to load. I hate going over the code limit. :(
Quality Control Enforcer
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Anna wrote: EDIT: And I seem to have run into a problem where the ship won't load in BSF. Guess it's a good thing I didn't close Shipmaker. Might try deleting some bits and seeing if I can get it to load. I hate going over the code limit. :(
I feel your paaaaaaaain. I was thinking while looking at it, "He better be careful not to go over the limit..."
What I did to try and save my Siegebreaker was cut off half of it and save it like that. If I ever get around to it, I was going to sectionmerge it untill it worked, but I doubt I ever will.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

Anna wrote: EDIT: And I seem to have run into a problem where the ship won't load in BSF. Guess it's a good thing I didn't close Shipmaker. Might try deleting some bits and seeing if I can get it to load. I hate going over the code limit. :(
Luckily shipmaker will still load ships that are over the part limit for BSF (I don't even know if there is a part limit in SM, I'm sure I've gone over 1000 before and no problems except for lag). The finished version is certainly impressive.
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna

Post by Anna »

Good news everyone! I loaded it up and very carefully deleted some sections that were unnecessary and some vestigial bits that were hidden and didn't add anything to the ship, and now it loads in-game!

So it's done. Yaaaay!

It's also totally balanced to WFTU/DGW stats.
When you consider how powerful the Culture are compared to the factions in the DGW, that is.

PlateClassGSV.zip
(673.83 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Quality Control Enforcer
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

I can't even criticize this because it lacks any flaws like it's almost near perfection
I'm going to call this frontier.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Anna

Post by Anna »

Lack of feedback makes me all QQ. :P "Lacks flaws and is near perfection" is nice to hear, though.

After this I have nfi what to build next, though. Seems like I've outdone myself.
Quality Control Enforcer
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

You have been building many big ships recently with these and your DGW king ships, why not make a few detailed small ones.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Absolutely lovely, in case you haven't heard that enough. It's a nice nod to Banks and aside from the ship, the landmass section is also pretty perfectly chosen.
Flawless is a pretty apt description
Anna

Post by Anna »

I ended up having to make (for certain values of make) my own landmass section, because I wasn't able to find one that was suitable. When I say "make", I really mean I kludged it together from images found on Google Image search.

I took this:
Overlaid it with this:
Then I messed with the colour levels 'n' shit until I was sorta happy with it.
And ended up with this:
Quality Control Enforcer
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

That aside, i'd like to see some UNGW sized ships of yours if y'know what i mean.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Anna

Post by Anna »

I have no fucking idea what you mean. Perhaps you should tell me what the fuck UNGW is or what an UNGW-sized ship is. Learn how to communicate clearly if you want to say something, for Christ's sake.
Quality Control Enforcer