Gunmax - Anna's Random Ship Repository

Let's face it, the main attraction of BSF is building your own ships. Share them! If you need help, check the Shipmaker Info & Help forum a little ways down.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Gunmax - Anna's Random Ship Repository

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

I liked it as it was. But its your ship Anna and you should do with it what you want.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

To be honest I have no doupt I would fail in attempt to make that ship any better, so my critique can be dismissed. ( ^u^)
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Anna, you're right, the blue for those rear sections doesn't work well, they look even more like they've been stuck on top. You should consider replacing them or reworking the area. That said, the extra section you added in-between does help, I think it makes the rearmost section look less stuck on.
As for the front sections, they look better blue than they did grey. They looked too bland before and didn't stand out from the more interesting centre. However, as you suggested, blue panels or some other features on grey might work better than flat blue.

Also, to impose my opinion briefly, R0ni and others similar, don't be afraid because he's a grumpy old bastard and really good at this; assume your criticism is valid (as long as it's not plain stupid) and share it, you don't have to be better than someone to be able to see flaws. If he didn't want criticism he'd ask for none, going back on what you give because he doesn't agree with it isn't gonna accomplish much. If you give intelligent criticism, the worst possible situation is that he doesn't follow it, which is really not a problem at all.
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

Well, I am only kidding when I am bowing to that "grumpy old bastard" of a admin. If he were meanie towards me only, I certainly would take it more personally, but since it is normal function / behaviour / programming of Anna, I just shrug and do horrible memes he "hates" - like this.
~(^u ^ )~

The rear section needs some reworking. The two bits I displayed previously, are the main issues that I see, but I would have to experiment over editor what really would work there to be able to tell - and possibly I would not pull out anything fantastic. Try removing the bits first and then seeing what the wing needs...
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Now, you got me really excited for that shield sprite, as well as just a download for that beauty in general.
I just really want that ship :)
naysayers will be shot
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I guess I'll work on finishing it tonight and take a break from Bioshock Infinite then, for you, Doogie. :P

EDIT: Ultimately, I was happy with those sidepods, after a small adjustment, even if other people weren't. All the changes I made to it just felt off to me, and ultimately I feel this works best. So, here is the final product. It is armed and balanced. Balanced against the Cerulean Blitz. As such, it is not very balanced at all. :lol: Laserspam, thy name is:

The Azure Assault-class Heavy Cruiser, which uses the latest in Emerald Shielding Technology. It's also armed with an array of ridiculous lasers, and carries a relatively small compliment of fighters (when compared to the Cerulean Blitz-class Carrier), of a much smaller and nimbler variety.
Attachments
Azure Assault.zip
Updated to include missing doodad sprites.
(76.21 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Fixed a mistake in the Azure Assault's download that was pointed out to me, namely that a couple of doodad sprites weren't included in the download. S'all better now.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

This is gorgeous and hasn't received half the attention it deserves.

The blue sections toward the front kind of bother me because it seems like an abrupt change in hull color rather than the additional armor plates covering the hull that I assume they are meant to be(such as the pieces on the nacelles), but that is a minor nitpick.

I adore ships with massive antenna arrays covering the front(silence Freud!) and the shield bits are awesome. I imagine they are fairly addictive to use so I commend you for not plastering the entire hull with them like I probably would have.

Some of the sprites are a bit over detailed for my taste but that is entirely apart from the ship design. Some newer sprites just add too much detail and gradient which make transitions to the surrounding sections difficult. Far prefer manually added details such as the windows which really make the ship come to life.

Are the engine glows supposed to extend over the blue bits covering them? Looks good, just seems weird perceptually since you were really careful on all the others.

Sadly out of practice critiquing ships since my computer absolutely refuses to run BSF, but I will download this anyway for a rainy day.
Anna

Post by Anna »

jwa8402 wrote:Are the engine glows supposed to extend over the blue bits covering them? Looks good, just seems weird perceptually since you were really careful on all the others.
Yeah, they are. I put some additive, low-alpha purple glows over them, to represent the glow of the engines reflecting off the plating. It does look a little off, but I liked it, so I kept it.
Sadly out of practice critiquing ships since my computer absolutely refuses to run BSF, but I will download this anyway for a rainy day.
So that's why you haven't been around and making ships. :( That's sad. You always made fun things. Your computer is evil.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ah that makes sense; looking again I see the glow on top is fainter. It was just a first impression so I like it.

Ya its some kind of OpenGL issue? I'm using this ridiculously small shuttle box since my tower is down, and there don't seem to be proper drivers/software updates available for it. But I'm going to try again because I like how much activity and new ideas there are right now.

Glad to see you still on here and seemingly active. Thought you had moved on for awhile there.
Anna

Post by Anna »

A ship I made mostly to post over on the Shellcore Command forums, just to keep my post mocking Infected on-topic. I ended up quite liking how it turned out, so here you all go:

Ravager.zip
(54.81 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Transform it with the "," comma key. It can't fire its glorious twin beam cannons until you do, mates!
Quality Control Enforcer
Anna

Post by Anna »

Here's a WIP thing I'm working on. Inspired by the general idea of GSVs from Iain M. Banks' Culture series of books.

Quality Control Enforcer
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Dear God....
naysayers will be shot
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

That looks so pretty... :shock:
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Ah, the wonders of recycling old ships.
Personally, I think you might want to try extending the metal parts around the entire edge of the landscape bubble. Right now it feels like one ship holding on to a giant egg with the landscape inside - it doesn't seem particularly integral to the ship.